Which Uptime Monitor Service?

zen-r

Reaction score
Following on from the recent & very welcome news that x10's free servers are now achieving 99.6% uptime (http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/99855-free-hosting-uptime.html) - it occurred to me that it might be useful for a few other members if I asked this question ;

Which web-host & uptime monitoring services have you tried, & which do you use & recommend?

There are plenty of free ones - do you have a preference?

Why? - Does it have a particularly good interface, &/or any special features which sets it apart from the pack? One feature which seems particularly useful is the ability to email & warn you if your website has gone down for a pre-determined period of time.

And are we mainly talking about "online" services here, or have you tried & can you advise on the type of monitoring tools which one installs oneself? :)

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Mon.itor.us is the service I use. It gets as many checks as you would get for free (30 minutes everywhere) with advanced graphs and more control. They email reports and warnings, do all protocol monitoring with as many sites as you want, and they don't limit you anywhere besides the checking intervals. Their interface is over scripted as bit, but usable never the less. I believe it is the best for free, and more than enough for anyone's needs.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Thanks Twinkie, that looks like a good one, & you gave a useful review (Rep'd!
reputation.gif
).

Does anyone have any others they can add to the recommended list?

I've found this site, but I don't know how good it is ; http://basicstate.com.

I'd also be interested to know what sites gomarc & zapzack were using when they mentioned it here. :)

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I have tried them all, and they either don't provide good intervals, or don't give good graphs, or limit how many sites you can use. Mon.itor.us does not.

Thanks for the rep zenr, now I have much to be proud of :biggrin:

rebellion

Reaction score
Try rootinternet.... I monitor my whole server off that. The free service can have 1 minute intervals, and If you have a Mac, there is a DashBoard widget available, displaying uptime, and current stats. This one is the best I've ever used.
http://monitor.rootinternet.co.uk/en/index.php

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I tried that too. It is solid, but does not do email reports (alerts, but not reports), or graphs, or anything. Great to tell when your site is down, but not to tell how often it is up, or to check the reliability of a web host.

kkenny

Reaction score
^I found that soon after joining, and left haha.

zen-r

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input (& Rep'd!
reputation.gif
).

Twinkie seems to have done the research & is pretty convincing, so http://mon.itor.us is looking like the best overall site so far, with a few of the others being worth a look if different features, like more frequent alerts, are more important to you.

If anyone else has other sites that they've tried & can recommend, please post & let's make this a useful reference for people wishing to find the best Uptime & Performance Monitor for themself.

Please include what other sites you may have compared it to, & your reasons for the recommendation, as per my post at the start of this thread. That way, we'll be able to form quicker choices, without having to repeat all the tests that you may have already done on the sites! :)

Last edited: