Why Opera is not So popular being the coolest browser?

The Browser War-- Your favourite web browser?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Firefox

Votes: 72 69.2%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Opera

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Others like safari etc..

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

liketobemad

Reaction score
Recently on 1st September Opera Launches it's new version of browser(version 10) with Turbo feature which can speed up the speed on low Internet connections. The news version have many added features like spell check, Speed dail, new look, glossy buttons - and ofcourse the tabbed browsing etc..
I am using it from last six - seven years..
Now my point is Why Opera can only manage some 2-3 % of internet users.. given that it is in Web world from very long time... inspite of having many cool features?

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't had good experience with Opera before, as it was rather slow and resource hog when I used it. Also, some of the functions is better to have as a plugin, like torrent downloads, as some places (like my schools), aren't allowed to install anything related to torrents and torrent download.

liketobemad

Reaction score
Opera Supports torrent downloads.. It has an inbuilt download manager which is better than firefox(atleast thats what i experienced) !!! Another cool feature of Opera is the speed dial...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I have the newest version of Opera installed. I haven't had much time to be able to mess around with it. The turbo feature is useless for me at the moment considering I can load most things up in 1 second or less since I can download a Megabyte a second, and pipeline Firefox.

xPlozion

Reaction score
I used to use it before firefox had an option to open any new page in a tab instead of window... since then, I haven't really used it.

It just doesn't have the apps that firefox has, and thats why I'm not even using Chrome.

I've got Gbookmarks (since i reformat often), Web Developer, HTML Validator (tidy), AdBlock Plus, and DTA!

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Firefox seems to be more popular precisely because of its extensibility, (which kind of leads on from the fact that it's FOSS). I am one of those people who depend on that extensibility. I must say I miss the speed dial in opera though, and the plugin equivalent in firefox just doesn't cut it for me. Since opera isn't FOSS, it also isn't as popular in the linux world, where firefox is the main browser.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think it's more of user preference than what the browser can actually do. I personally like how Firefox looks and the feel of operating it, therefore I use Firefox.

I don't feel the same about Opera. I just don't like it, there's no particular reason.

liketobemad

Reaction score
Opera do supports plugins and widgets but ofcourse not as popular and versatile as the plugins of firefox...
I think popularity also depends on the marketing strategies.. Firefox advantage is it comes as default with Linux like Ubuntu!!!
Now Google is introducing new features into it's social networking site orkut (very popular in India) which works better only in Google Chrome..
And from what I observe Firefox download manager is not so good.. Many of my downloads which were once interrupted couldn't generally be resumed

vekou

Reaction score
for everyday browsing, i just use google chrome. simple and fast. but when i'm going to download stuff, i prefer firefox with DownThemAll! plugin..i seldom use opera since most of its features can be found on firefox.

and oh yeah, i also use IE when debugging web pages.. (stupid IE) lol

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yet another browser related topic :)

As I said many times before I use Opera.

We all know that you can make Opera look and work almost exactly like Firefox and that you can make Firefox look and work almost exactly like Opera (in terms of functionality considering average user). So what's the point you may ask. Branding. It's just like any other brand war. For example you need a new pair of sneakers. If you like Air Max you don't like Converse. They are both good quality and comfortable but you have your choose. Same with browsers.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I've never really tried Opera on any of my own computers before, but I remember considering using it on April Fool's day a few years ago.

I was sent so many Rick Roll links that it wasn't even funny, and I had to force-quit my Firefox literally 20ish times that day.

But I heard from someone that if you ever get Rick Rolled on Opera with one of those pages that resizes and shakes and moves all over your screen, you can still close it easily because Opera disables the annoying things that nobody wants their browser to do anyway.

Coolmaty

Reaction score
Opera is just a milavat [Mixture] of IE and Mozilla Firefox, so its better to use typical browser [IE or Mozilla Firefox ] than Opera....

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Yet another browser related topic :)

As I said many times before I use Opera.

We all know that you can make Opera look and work almost exactly like Firefox and that you can make Firefox look and work almost exactly like Opera (in terms of functionality considering average user). So what's the point you may ask. Branding. It's just like any other brand war. For example you need a new pair of sneakers. If you like Air Max you don't like Converse. They are both good quality and comfortable but you have your choose. Same with browsers.
Not quite: Firefox is FOSS, Opera is not in the slightest. If I want to modify Firefox in any way I want to, I can, not so with Opera. And Opera's cookie and javascript blocking isn't quite as good as in Firefox (using plugins that is), where I by default block both scripts and cookies, but only need to press one button to temporarily allow cookies or scripts. The only thing Opera can score with for me is its being faster, but firefox isn't slow either, so it's hardly worth a change.

Last edited:

playminigames

Reaction score
i have tried many browsers(firefox, chrome, ie, safari, opera) but i have liked firefox the most, because of its speed, customization, and its always improving. I dont like the look of opera because it takes up too much space on my screen. I never really caught onto the opera speed dial, as i usually use bookmarks.

batman1

Reaction score
Opera is the best browser but many people don't know it they mostly use IE and firefox.

Poor saps.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Not quite: Firefox is FOSS, Opera is not in the slightest. If I want to modify Firefox in any way I want to, I can, not so with Opera.
Are you going to?

No, the reason I don't use Opera is that, despite it being packed with features that you have to install plugins for in Firefox, it simply can't render a lot of websites properly, and through no fault of its own, some sites detect it's not IE or Firefox and reduce functionality. Plus, I miss the Aero glass effect on my desktop PC. And firefox, once you get all the addons, can get crazy slow, anyway.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Are you going to?

No, the reason I don't use Opera is that, despite it being packed with features that you have to install plugins for in Firefox, it simply can't render a lot of websites properly, and through no fault of its own, some sites detect it's not IE or Firefox and reduce functionality. Plus, I miss the Aero glass effect on my desktop PC. And firefox, once you get all the addons, can get crazy slow, anyway.
I am currently modifying firefox in actual fact. It involves a "bug" with the password manager...

With firefox it is true that plugins *can* slow the browser down: you do have to watch out what you install. On the other hand plugins such as noscript speed the browser up, massively.

Last edited:

batman1

Reaction score
Are you going to?

Opera renders most of the sites firefox renders. They are almost similar when it comes to that. :cool:

liketobemad

Reaction score
Some issues I found with firefox which are better in Opera are :-

• Firefox has no seed dial by default and also no progress bar (which shows the internet speed in opera)
  • Download Manager (firefox) is not as versatile as Opera's , it's speed is little bit slower than opera, and opera easily resumes a broken download than firefox
  • Opera allows many username- password pairs to be saved for a website unlike firefox which saves only one username-password pair for a website..
Ofcourse these are pretty small issues.. on the whole I found no much difference between firefox and Opera...:dunno:

kuroi17

Reaction score
Opera is really the best web browser.
It exists also in portable version and mobile phone version.
A very great webbrowser
(except some problems on hotmail and facebook -_-")

Last edited: