Apache Tomcat Support?

Do you want Apache Tomcat installed on the free servers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zapzack

Reaction score
Do you wish to have Apache Tomcat installed on the free servers? Vote in the poll!

(Poll opened for lhyman)

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
How about also adding a "Don't Care" option?

- as in "it will be a nice bonus if we have it, & I may well dabble a bit with the feature, but I'm not going to lose sleep over not having it" :)

zapzack

Reaction score
Too bad I can't edit the poll.. I would have added it..

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
OK - I just won't vote.

I can't imagine you'll get many "no" votes though. Extra features are always welcomed by most people, even if they don't plan to use them!

What people should realise is that the cost in adding some features (but not necessarily this feature) might be that server resource usage goes up, & reliability of "uptime" may go down.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
You should include a description of what the feature is. Most features that are not already added (except my SOAP of course) is not very popular, and you will get far too many 'I don't care' votes if people can't vision themselves ever using it in the future. If no one has requested it by now, most likely that is the majority.

I voted I don't care because I never used it before and have no idea what it is.

vekou

Reaction score
i voted, "i don't care"
although i think why people here don't request Tomcat here is because, most of the members here signed up because they where looking for PHP and MySQL. although it would be nice to have Tomcat installed, but i don't think it will be feasible to install it on the current servers. i think it would be better if it will be installed on a separate server. although it is possible for people to incorporate both JSP and PHP on their site, it will be highly unlikely that they'll use it together at the same time.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It would be a great addition, as nearly no hosts at all supports it. Heh, I haven't even seen any paid host who supports it...

lhyman

Reaction score
But are you sure Tomcat is not going to slow down the servers?

Rithy58

Reaction score
I would love to have Tomcat.

I currently is working on a Java Multiplayer Online Game and I think it'll be great if x10hosting have Tomcat.
One thing for sure is, the server will be VERY slow if a lot of people going to use it.

I tested a stress test on the game with about 100 people playing PvP and my server can barely handle it. Crashed about 5 time in 1 hour. The server spec is 2.8 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 320 SATA Drive 7200 RPM and connection speed : 10mbps both up and down. I limited bandwidth on my home network so that the server can have a good connection and everytime I tell my friends do try the Guild vs Guild(50 vs 50), there will be lag and sometime, the server just crash.

I wouldn't have come back to x10hosting if my server can handle the game and the website...but I think if everytime the game crash, the site/support is down, my players will left the game without even saying good bye.

So...if we do have Tomcat, we will have a lot of new customers(and I'll be using it for another server to reduce stress on my server) but if x10hosting don't buy more servers, we're doom with slow server.

So..it depend on if x10hosting will buy more servers.

Sincerely,
Rithy

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Rithy58: x10 utilities more powerful servers than that, so they can handle more of a load. Also, they have server load handling scripts which handle automated usage suspensions, so I don't think it would be much of a problem.

lhyman

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of, I'm sorry I brought up the whole Tomcat issue. I thought it might be cool to write and run some java apps, but after doing some testing on my home server, I was so surprised at the way it slowed down the whole machine. Maybe that's why hosting providers don't offer it.

So I guess I take the whole Tomcat thing back because it will not be Worth the performance loss.

Rithy58

Reaction score
I still think it's a problem.

My game is based on an Open Source Engine. There will be many people using the Engine and then there will be many of those Engine on the server.
I bet after having 100 people using that Engine(it isn't even optimized well) on the server, it will crash or atleast slow down the server.

Sincerely,
Rithy

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I still think it's a problem.

My game is based on an Open Source Engine. There will be many people using the Engine and then there will be many of those Engine on the server.
I bet after having 100 people using that Engine(it isn't even optimized well) on the server, it will crash or atleast slow down the server.

Sincerely,
Rithy

X10TOS said:
Script Hosting:Scripts that run constantly or are called via cron more then once every 5 minutes are not allowed on the x10Hosting free packages. Any script running on your website must be directly related to what your site is about. We do not allow scripts that gather data from external sources, monitor sites\servers, or do any tasks that are not related to your website.

Also the high-resource usage section - I can all but guarantee your script would get you suspended in a hurry. Simply put, you won't be able to run a game server on the webhosting services - you'd need a VPS for that, and finding a VPS powerful enough might be tricky.

Rithy58

Reaction score
Hahaha. Actually I know about that.
A lot of host suspended me for using too much resource.
The game used a lot of resource. That's why I bought a computer and use it as a server.

But still. I think if we do have Tomcat, there will be people that have nothing better to do than sign up here and used up a lot of resource then they won't care if they get ban.

The only good solution is to not have Tomcat or buy more server to allow Java.
Using a script to limit the resources wouldn't help attract new members.
What's good can Java do if it's really limited.

So if x10hosting isn't planning on buying more servers, I would strongly recommend that they won't use Tomcat, else a lot of our sites will be slower than a snail sleep walking.

Sincerely,
Rithy

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Or maybe a dedicated Tomcat hosting server were members can share the server.

Rithy58

Reaction score
Exactly.
Which mean x10hosting would need to buy more server.
And the server should have a limit of how many users and how many each resources each user have. But if we limited the resource too low, there's no point of having a Java Applet.

The limit should be high enough so that the user can run a JSP with atleast 500 viewer per day or atleast some small applets.

Sincerely,
Rithy

Reaction score
I think that having Tomcat would be good for those who dont use a lot of server resources (i use my account for testing stuff as well as my blog but thats about it!) I think limiting the resources your applets use would be a good idea. To be honest if your using a large chunk of server resources you should be paying for an account anyway! (just my opinion :)

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Could someone explain to me what is tomcat. It's included in my xampp package, but I have no idea what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.