Fedora vs Ubuntu, what?

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Very suprised by Ubuntu and would encourage anybody who is used to Win XP should feel right at home with this package.
Only if they are blind.

As for those who like their 'Eye Candy' then the 'Puppy' linux distro is worth a look, or a second look if you only dimly recall the early versions of this suprisingly good yet very lightweight operating system. we regulary get people mistaking it for the new Windowz 7
It's 'Windows'.

csc2ya

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer ubuntu to fedora, because it's the only one that works 'out of the box' (so to speak), with nearly all my hardware. With fedora, next to nothing worked. Had problems with sound when I first installed Ubuntu, but merely had to edit a file to fix it.

I've been using ubuntu 'Ultimate Edition' for over a year now, and while I would not go back to windows, it does still have it's uses (I run a copy of server 2003 in a virtual machine for things that need windows).

There are several things I don't like in either os. For linux, it's mainly the fact that a kernel update can break things like my sound or wireless. For windows, it's mainly the fact that windows updates tend to restart the os on their own if you don't do it yourself when prompted.

If someone were to ask me if I would consider changing to another linux version, such as fedora, I would certainly try it, but I would always gravitate back to ubuntu, as if it's not broken, and works well, why try and fix it with something else that's not guaranteed to work?

(I've probably gone a little bit off topic here, but oh well):thefinger

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer ubuntu to fedora, because it's the only one that works 'out of the box' (so to speak), with nearly all my hardware. With fedora, next to nothing worked. Had problems with sound when I first installed Ubuntu, but merely had to edit a file to fix it.

I've been using ubuntu 'Ultimate Edition' for over a year now, and while I would not go back to windows, it does still have it's uses (I run a copy of server 2003 in a virtual machine for things that need windows).

There are several things I don't like in either os. For linux, it's mainly the fact that a kernel update can break things like my sound or wireless. For windows, it's mainly the fact that windows updates tend to restart the os on their own if you don't do it yourself when prompted.

If someone were to ask me if I would consider changing to another linux version, such as fedora, I would certainly try it, but I would always gravitate back to ubuntu, as if it's not broken, and works well, why try and fix it with something else that's not guaranteed to work?

(I've probably gone a little bit off topic here, but oh well):thefinger

Yup UBUNTU FTW! ITs the best linux I think, allthough puppy linux was good.

kestrel1

Reaction score
Out of the two, I would go for Ubuntu for a first time user or Linux Mint. Use Virtual Box to try out different os's as you will not destroy any data by accident if you are not sure what you are doing when partitioning a hard drive.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
VirtualBox is a great piece of kit, LOL Im using my XP Os atm while running 7 to keep my system secure :p
And Ubuntu is good for a first time linux user !

phazzedout

Reaction score
I prefer Ubuntu, easiest to use out of the two you have mentioned. I have also used Knoppix which is also very good, lite, and works well out-of-the-box. Knoppix GUI is a little rough though, looks like I am using a better version of 2000 but it runs well. I have also used Puppy Linux which is less than 100mb! (WOWserz!!!) looks rough as well but that puppy runs smooth on any of the old computers I own. The most I have used though is Ubuntu, yes it is easy to use, but for people who can spend time Google searching problems. I installed Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron computer and it did not run well at first. The wi-fi card drivers did not want to install, sound was missing, they used an obsolete video card driver and when I got the wifi card to work, it would not save the password. I fixed all those and more, but if I left it up to my girlfriend, she would of given up in 10 minutes. It is easy but only to those who know what to look for.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're on a more powerful computer and you have more experience using Linux I would always recommend Fedora, but if you're on a laptop or you're just starting with Linux it's Ubuntu every time

~Callum

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
i had used both Fedora and Ubuntu. Ubuntu is more commom and i see people using that all over.
I am an RHCE so we used Fedora and Redhat to its best.I like Fedora and its one of the best Free
Linux OS

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Ubuntu is the best...

for all linux beginners and experts

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Ubuntu cd can be ordered free in their site. Ya i like it when i compare it with Redhat or fedora.One of the plus points Ubuntu has

phddat

Reaction score
Ubuntu, of course.
I'm waiting for the next final release of ubuntu 10.0.4 LTS. It's so sexy :biggrin: