MySQL, Database server hostname...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchetdown

Reaction score
I'm trying to install phpBB3 (the latest stable release) and it's all going sweet until the install page asks for the database settings.

What it asks for: (my responses in blue)
Database type: "MySQL"

Database server hostname or DSN: I tried both leaving blank and setting to "localhost"
DSN stands for Data Source Name and is relevant only for ODBC installs.

Database server port: I left blank
Leave this blank unless you know the server operates on a non-standard port.

Database name: the database name, as it shows in cPanel

Database username: the database username, as it shows in cPanel

Database password: the password for that database username, as I entered in cPanel

Prefix for tables in database: the same as the prefix that's forced on the database name in cPanel

It just hits me with this error:
Could not connect to the database, see error message below.
Access denied for user 'the_username'@'stoli.x10hosting.com' (using password: YES)

I have made a MySQL Database in cPanel and added a new user to the database, giving it permissions for all database functions. I'm copying the database name and database username directly from the "MySQL Databases" section in cPanel. I'm not getting the password wrong.

Other people have asked this but they all seem to get the same answer of
"I haven't tried it, but just put 'localhost' as the DSN and it should work", which doesn't fix it for me.

Any help would be appreciated...

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Database host name is "localhost" (without the quotes) on X10.
The error you are receiving suggests you may be using an incorrect user name or password.
I suggest you double check and make sure you have that information correct.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
make sure you added user to database with all privileges in cpanel

Last edited:

hatchetdown

Reaction score
make sure you added user to database with all privileges in cpanel
Yeah, I set that the first time around:
I have made a MySQL Database in cPanel and added a new user to the database, giving it permissions for all database functions.

At this point, I've tried making new databases, adding new users, linking the users to the database with all the permissions, all in "cPanel>MySQL Databases" but still get the same error in the phpBB installer...

Does anyone know why there's a prefix pre-pended to the front of the database names?
Like when I make a database, it automatically shows "myaccountname_" before I enter a name for it.
Same when I make users for the database, the username shows as "myaccountname_nameientered".
Does this happen with everyone else, would someone on stoli mind testing this?

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Does anyone know why there's a prefix pre-pended to the front of the database names?
Like when I make a database, it automatically shows "myaccountname_" before I enter a name for it.
Same when I make users for the database, the username shows as "myaccountname_nameientered".
Does this happen with everyone else, would someone on stoli mind testing this?

Because there are 1000's of users on the servers.
The way to make sure there are no name clashes is to prefix the database/user names with your unique cPanel username.
It happens to everybody.

hatchetdown

Reaction score
Right, thanks for the insight on the naming convention.
So is this naming system even compatible with phpBB3's installer?
Should I even be pre-pending that prefix to the database name and usernames in phpBB at all?

I've been on this all day, must be getting close to brute-forcing the correct settings at this stage!
From what I can tell, I've set it up flawlessly but it just denies access apparently for no reason, I've Googled the sh*t out of it and can't find anything that directly addresses the issue anywhere!

Could it be a restricted PHP function on new accounts?
Could someone post a shortlist of reasons why x10's MySQL servers might deny access?
Again, I'd highly appreciate if someone could just setup phpBB3 on a free-account, have it work, then show me what a jackass I'm being...

RESOLVED!
It connected when I changed the "database type" from MySQL to SQLite.

Last edited:

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Problem solved

***Thread Closed***

Status
Not open for further replies.