The 'N' word!

fractalfeline

Reaction score
I agree with what Mithe said. Any word can be offensive if it starts being thrown around as a term of disrespect. Anyone who uses the word knowing it carries a disrespectful weight it probably TRYING to be disrespectful. But the real question is: are you going to let some idiot offend you? Does this idiot's opinion and respect matter to you that much? If people stop reacting to the word then it will start losing its meaning.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
How many of the people here are members of a minority in their country?

If they are in majority, how many have a repressed minority inside their country? Ever used or heard an insulting word for Albanians or Tamils?

priyaa161

Reaction score
How many of the people here are members of a minority in their country?

If they are in majority, how many have a repressed minority inside their country? Ever used or heard an insulting word for Albanians or Tamils?

In India, people are not distinguished on the basis of skin color. They are categorized on the basis of caste. India is a secular country and so You can find very wide variety of caste here. But very funny part is that here minority and cheap caste people are torturing us.

They get scholarship, they get reservation in Jobs and college. They have to pay less fees to study. If they'll slap you then nothing is going to happen but if we (majority) will slap them then it will fall under a case of racial discrimination and then we are in great trouble.
90% for General and 70% for SC and ST are considered equal.
If they don't have manner so what's our fault. They are thoroughly disliked due to their bad manners.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
In India, people are not distinguished on the basis of skin color. They are categorized on the basis of caste. India is a secular country and so You can find very wide variety of caste here. But very funny part is that here minority and cheap caste people are torturing us.

They get scholarship, they get reservation in Jobs and college. They have to pay less fees to study. If they'll slap you then nothing is going to happen but if we (majority) will slap them then it will fall under a case of racial discrimination and then we are in great trouble.
90% for General and 70% for SC and ST are considered equal.
If they don't have manner so what's our fault. They are thoroughly disliked due to their bad manners.

So you treated a group like garbage and now you resent when they get some benefits to try to make up for years of abuse.

Are you saying that there are no "names" for these people that you use that are insulting? That harken back to the days when they "knew their place"? Words that you use in private, but not in public?

priyaa161

Reaction score
Oh! NO! I don't use any such words in private. And I'm very sorry if it hurts anybody feelings here. And what happened in the past is past. It cannot be changed. Neither I want that they should be treated like in the past. But they should be treated like us. As a General. Not more than us.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
I did not mean "you" specifically. I am sorry if you think I was accusing you of anything. I was pointing out that perhaps others of the Majority in your country use insulting terms for members of some Minorities that are similar to n****r . Or if they do not use them, there are terms that have been used.

priyaa161

Reaction score
Yes. There are many insulting words but now it became so common that they are not basically used for them but for the Generals (highest category) as curse word. And they too don't feel it harsh unless some idiot remind those words to them in anger.

In past they are not allowed to enter temple and participate in any public place but now time has changed and now it can be easily seen that high caste and low caste people are sharing their lunch in School. No such discrimination exist now but government of India itself put this discrimination by giving all such reservations. In India we have to give competitive examination to enter college. And when some less qualified person kick out a more qualified person then we are forced to forget our friendship.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
priyaa161 said:
. No such discrimination exist now ...

Not "officially". But it is there. Old habits and beliefs die hard. Children cannot believe that their parents or grandparents are guilty of such things.

priyaa161

Reaction score
Not "officially". But it is there. Old habits and beliefs die hard. Children cannot believe that their parents or grandparents are guilty of such things.

To some extent You are right. But there is a discrimination inside every person. Even if you say that I'm not racist but You are. From "You" I mean every person reading this post. When people will forget to differentiate other people on the basis of caste, creed, color, the day will be the end of terrorism.

mattblog

Reaction score
I have the same opinion like You. But I don't like to be with Black color people not because I've a feeling of hatred but because they look little untidy.

But they must not make issue with a single word "Black".

Isn't that a little bit stereotypical? No offense

camarogranny

Reaction score
Let's start off by stating "I am white"! I'm sure I can only begin to imagine how a black person might feel when called the "N" word, but even my imagination would not begin to cover the depth of their pain. I grew up in the rural south and if I had a nickel for eavery time I'd heard the "N" word used I honestly think I might be a millionaire now. I remember when the notice came down that my local school would finally begin integration in 60's. Mostly what I remember are the arguments/discussions my parents had about what their options were. With five children (3 in school) there was no way they could afford to put us all in private school. They eventually decided they had no choice and sent us all off to school with warnings about leaving them alone, making sure we always traveled in two's, not to speak to them even if they said something to us, LOL...there was quite a litany of advice. I was in the fourth grade. Turns out I had 4 blacks in my class, 2 girls and 2 boys. 40+ years later I still remember each of their names. The other thing I remember about the four is how smart they each were. This was actually quite funny because one of the arguments against integration had been that having blacks in our school would lower our level of education. Karen and Laurel became good friends of mine, so good in fact that I had to argue with my parents to let them come to our home after school. Slowly attitudes in our home changed, not completely, but in visible ways. Two years later our school got a black principal...I heard a few of the same old arguments, but once there, he was one of the best principals I was ever blessed to have. By the time I graduated from high school my school was 55% black and I had numerous black friends. A few of their parents became close friends with my mom and it was not uncommon to find them in our kitchen baking mass batches of cookies at Christmas or working on PTA projects for our school. The "N" word was eventually banned in our home, but I still saw it's power to embarass and humiliate my friends. I of course received my own version of the offensive word by being called a "N" lover, by those still backwards enough to think that skin color might make whites more superior.

I find it quite sad that so many of the younger generation seem to use the "N' word so frequently, particularly but not exclusively amongst blacks themselves. This generation has been blessed to grow up in a more racially tolerant time and have never had to experience the pain and humiliation that their parents have had to overcome. Unfortunately, while the youth might glibly utter the "N" word, there are still far too many others that use it to announce to others their belief in white superiority. For those that still use the "N" word in the derogatory context, I find that they usually also have an equally offensive vocabulary to define other races/nationalities whether it be Mexicans, Chinese, Spanish, etc. (All of which I find offensive.)

As for me, I've found that it is much easier to divide the world into just two categories, those that are morons and those that are not. I guess the biggest difficulty in my method of division is, you actually have to wait for a person to open their mouth and say something before they can be classified.:wink:

japra1

Reaction score
People in New York use the "n" word freely; blacks and whites. If you go to the wrong neighborhood and say that, you will definitely not appreciate what will happen to you.

ataarticles

Reaction score
Let's start off by stating "I am white"! I'm sure I can only begin to imagine how a black person might feel when called the "N" word, but even my imagination would not begin to cover the depth of their pain. I grew up in the rural south and if I had a nickel for eavery time I'd heard the "N" word used I honestly think I might be a millionaire now. I remember when the notice came down that my local school would finally begin integration in 60's. Mostly what I remember are the arguments/discussions my parents had about what their options were. With five children (3 in school) there was no way they could afford to put us all in private school. They eventually decided they had no choice and sent us all off to school with warnings about leaving them alone, making sure we always traveled in two's, not to speak to them even if they said something to us, LOL...there was quite a litany of advice. I was in the fourth grade. Turns out I had 4 blacks in my class, 2 girls and 2 boys. 40+ years later I still remember each of their names. The other thing I remember about the four is how smart they each were. This was actually quite funny because one of the arguments against integration had been that having blacks in our school would lower our level of education. Karen and Laurel became good friends of mine, so good in fact that I had to argue with my parents to let them come to our home after school. Slowly attitudes in our home changed, not completely, but in visible ways. Two years later our school got a black principal...I heard a few of the same old arguments, but once there, he was one of the best principals I was ever blessed to have. By the time I graduated from high school my school was 55% black and I had numerous black friends. A few of their parents became close friends with my mom and it was not uncommon to find them in our kitchen baking mass batches of cookies at Christmas or working on PTA projects for our school. The "N" word was eventually banned in our home, but I still saw it's power to embarass and humiliate my friends. I of course received my own version of the offensive word by being called a "N" lover, by those still backwards enough to think that skin color might make whites more superior.

I find it quite sad that so many of the younger generation seem to use the "N' word so frequently, particularly but not exclusively amongst blacks themselves. This generation has been blessed to grow up in a more racially tolerant time and have never had to experience the pain and humiliation that their parents have had to overcome. Unfortunately, while the youth might glibly utter the "N" word, there are still far too many others that use it to announce to others their belief in white superiority. For those that still use the "N" word in the derogatory context, I find that they usually also have an equally offensive vocabulary to define other races/nationalities whether it be Mexicans, Chinese, Spanish, etc. (All of which I find offensive.)

As for me, I've found that it is much easier to divide the world into just two categories, those that are morons and those that are not. I guess the biggest difficulty in my method of division is, you actually have to wait for a person to open their mouth and say something before they can be classified.:wink:

Interesting post!
I noticed this is your first post and assume you found this topic on Google search.

camarogranny

Reaction score
Actually, it's just my first post in this particular forum. I happened to be browsing topics when I saw yours and was intrigued by the title. LOL...in other words, I try to never miss an opportunity to speak my piece on this subject. I'm actually flabbergasted that in 2010 I still find myself beseeching people to judge others by their actions and not their skin color, but the recent election of President Obama seemed to reopen the southern rascism vent. The mumblings and mutterings are often cloaked in political correctness, and there are even some that I believe are just in denial when it comes to the motivation for their disdain. While some of it may honestly stem from just being a diehard republican, for others I know it is strictly a racial issue. As a registered independent I didn't have to face that problem, but I did notice a definite increase in the use of the "N" word during and after the nomination process. It just serves as a reminder that we are still a long way from living in a world where we can simply agree that we are all part of the HUMAN race.:)

electro.jake60

Reaction score
Not to worry though. . .
The government will make everything "fair" for everyone.
And what a fine job they've done thus far.
Europe, America, Asia, doesn't seem to matter where you are, the government (aka politicians) will make everything right.
respect-047.gif

Fascinating thread here. An interesting read.
-Ej-