CSS Abuse

Darkmere

Reaction score
1.) You are using HTML 5.0 which is still experimental and not supported by all browsers
2.) No Char encoding defined
3.) 4 sec rule. Scanning over the page is a complete loss on the intentions of the page.
4.) Faux Links

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
1.) You are using HTML 5.0 which is still experimental and not supported by all browsers

I am fully aware of that fact. "Works in Chrome and Firefox, doesn't work in Opera and IE, works for some people in Safari but not others."

2.) No Char encoding defined

And? :p

3.) 4 sec rule. Scanning over the page is a complete loss on the intentions of the page.

...that's because there isn't one

4.) Faux Links

It's purely an experiment, not a site. I was asking for feedback on the design xD

I'm going to move this to the correct forum now >_<

~Callum

Darkmere

Reaction score
lol that was feedback on design :p

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

But if you want layout then it doesnt work all the way for me FireFox 4.0+

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

The Header is only partially working, nav works and footer works

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I didn't put version number in, but it doesn't work in FF4. It works in FF5.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I updated it a bit, fixed most of your complaints :p

Hover over about, it's the hackiest thing ever xD

Darkmere

Reaction score
K now every thing is working but, did you intend for the personal information to be all the way into the right margin. Kinda looks strange that everything is centered then you have the Personal info way out in the right margin

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

What if you removed the About link and keep the about information visible ... it reminds me of MMN, I know it isnt but it just reminds me of it.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Thank you for fixing the char set ... my validators are now green across the board except for one error but it is just because of the HTML5 so it is more of a warning

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I, on the other hand, like it. (I think "Web developer based in the UK" is a bit of a giveaway, and if it takes one more than four seconds to put that together with the word "Portfolio", I'm thinking there are deficiencies present that can't be overcome using additional text.) There's only one thing I'd suggest, and that's to use text-shadow (no displacement, less than one pixel blur, same colour as the text) to antialias the largest text -- it works a charm.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
This should work for the anti-aliasing:

text-shadow: #666677 1px 1px 1px;

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
K now every thing is working but, did you intend for the personal information to be all the way into the right margin. Kinda looks strange that everything is centered then you have the Personal info way out in the right margin

Yeah, that's intentional, partly because I quite like it, and partly because I couldn't work out how to center it at the time (wrap it in a div!)

What if you removed the About link and keep the about information visible ... it reminds me of MMN, I know it isnt but it just reminds me of it.

:-(

Thank you for fixing the char set ... my validators are now green across the board except for one error but it is just because of the HTML5 so it is more of a warning

Good :-D

I, on the other hand, like it. (I think "Web developer based in the UK" is a bit of a giveaway, and if it takes one more than four seconds to put that together with the word "Portfolio", I'm thinking there are deficiencies present that can't be overcome using additional text.) There's only one thing I'd suggest, and that's to use text-shadow (no displacement, less than one pixel blur, same colour as the text) to antialias the largest text -- it works a charm.

That text is new ;-)

This should work for the anti-aliasing:

text-shadow: #666677 1px 1px 1px;

trigger_rulz200747

Reaction score
it's his experimental site :) CSS3 really is so good. My first thought it was jquery but when i try to view its source it's all CSS3 :]