Wamp Server

paul-holmes83

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to configure Wamp server running on Vista and using firefox.

I cannot access PHPmyAdmin.

When I first installed it when I tried to go to PHPmyAdmin I just got a blank white page, after some digging around on the internet I found that my Hosts file needed to have 127.0.0.1 localhost added.

After I added the above line I now get an error page as below.

Welcome to phpMyAdmin

Error

MySQL said: Documentation
#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)

I have not been able to find any info on this.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I keep my hosts file as read only.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Make sure you don't have any other web servers running locally (so no using WampServer while trying to test ASP.NET development locally using IIS) and that MySQL is listed as allowed for local access in whatever firewall software you're using (you'll probably need to be an admin to make the change if you usually run as a restricted user). The default MySQL port is 3306.

paul-holmes83

Reaction score
I have looked at the services and I do not see either ASP.NET or IIS in the list so I don't think it is them.

I see Mysql.exe listed in the allowed aplications of my firewall, it says any local port and any remote port, I use Bullgaurd if that makes a difference.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Odd, that -- WampServer has always been plug-and-play for me. It comes properly configured out of the box (usually). Is MySQL running when you start the server (check your task list)?

paul-holmes83

Reaction score
It appears to be I see in the services section of task manager

wampapache (pid5972) running
wampmysqld (pid5160) running

A suggestion made in the wampserver forum said that the hosts file should contain only the line
127.0.0.1 localhost

mine included some other lines so I made a copy then I deleted all lines except the above.

I have a spare PC here that just needs an HD and a mouse, I think I will rebuild that and try it on that one, only problem there is I have no spare space on my router:frown:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
One tool that may help is TCPView, which you can use to see which programs have what ports opened.

Check the connection settings in the MySQL and PHP configuration files to see what ports or named pipe each uses, and make sure they are the same. With PHP, you can use phpinfo instead of checking php.ini; XAMPP should make it available at http://localhost/phpinfo.php.

Check whether other MySQL clients (such as the command-line client or MySQL Workbench) can connect. This may help you narrow down the problem to PHP or MySQL.

As for the firewall, disable it temporarily while testing. Don't leave it off for long, but a short period shouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

paul-holmes83

Reaction score
Can I deal with your sugestions 1 at a time

I have downloaded TCPView and run it the entries tat look like they belong to Wamp are

httpd.exe (pid, 4164) (Protocol, TCP) (Local Port, http) (remote Port, 0) (State, Listening)
mysqld.exe (pid, 968) (Protocol, TCP) (Local Port, 3306) (Remote Port, 0) (State, Listening)
mysqld.exe (pid, 968) (Protocol, TCPV6) (Local Port, 3306) (remote Port, 0) (state, Listening)

the mysqld pid is supposed to be 968 , don't know where the smiley came from

there does not seem to be anything else using the local Ports.

phpinfo says (if I am looking at the correct parts!)

In the Apache2Handler section entry for hostname:port = localhost:80
In the php Variables Section entry for _SERVER["HTTP_HOST"] = localhost
In the php Variables Section entry for _SERVER["SERVER_PORT"] = 80

I disabled my firewall before starting the Wamp server, but it made no difference.

on the command line client following the example given in the link, but leaving out password, I have not set one
I got the following output ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL sever on 'localhost' (10060)

I have downloaded MySQL Workbench, but I am unsure how to use it?

Last edited by a moderator:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not to answer the question, 'cuz it's baffling and oh, so wrong...

The smiley comes from putting an eight and a close parenthesis right side-by-each. Graphic emoticons must die!

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
mysqld.exe (pid, 968) (Protocol, TCP) (Local Port, 3306) (Remote Port, 0) (State, Listening)
mysqld.exe (pid, 968) (Protocol, TCPV6) (Local Port, 3306) (remote Port, 0) (state, Listening)
From this, you know which ports the MySQL server is listening on. If a MySQL client is using one of these ports and can't connect, that tells you something is blocking the connection.

phpinfo says (if I am looking at the correct parts!)
That isn't the relevant information. Since you need to check how PHP is configured to connect to MySQL, you should be looking at the MySQL configuration. phpMyAdmin before 3.4 defaulted to the outdated mysql extension. Starting with 3.4, phpMyAdmin defaults to mysqli. Check the settings for whichever extension phpMyAdmin is using on your install.

I disabled my firewall before starting the Wamp server, but it made no difference.
Make sure you leave the firewall disabled while testing, not just when starting the server. PHP connects to MySQL when it handles a request, not when Apache starts.

on the command line client following the example given in the link, but leaving out password, I have not set one
I got the following output ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL sever on 'localhost' (10060)
This is the most useful information so far. A web search for the exact error message will turn up many pages, including the manual page for MySQL error 2003 (10060).

If this error is caused by network connectivity problems, one resolution is to use named pipes, bypassing networking altogether.

I have downloaded MySQL Workbench, but I am unsure how to use it?
MySQL workbench is a graphical alternative to the command line utilities. You don't need both (though you may find MWB useful for other things).

the mysqld pid is supposed to be 968 , don't know where the smiley came from
The advanced post editor has a "Disable smilies in text" in the "Additional Options" section.

paul-holmes83

Reaction score
I will look at this shortly to see if I can make sense of it.

I will just say that I downloaded Wamp from the same place onto a friends PC who is using the same version of Vista, but different Anti Virus software and it run straight out of the box with no problems at all, so it is my PC configaration that is causing the problem somewhere.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Make sure you leave the firewall disabled while testing, not just when starting the server. PHP connects to MySQL when it handles a request, not when Apache starts.

What I meant was that I disabled the firewall before starting the Wamp sever, then I tested it with the firewall still off.

Sorry for not being clear

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Just a further note I shut down my antivirus completly to test it, but it made no difference.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Although Wamp is on the local machine could the router be causing the problem.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

From this, you know which ports the MySQL server is listening on. If a MySQL client is using one of these ports and can't connect, that tells you something is blocking the connection.

Looking at the Tcpview window there is nothing else using this port.

That isn't the relevant information. Since you need to check how PHP is configured to connect to MySQL, you should be looking at the MySQL configuration. phpMyAdmin before 3.4 defaulted to the outdated mysql extension. Starting with 3.4, phpMyAdmin defaults to mysqli. Check the settings for whichever extension phpMyAdmin is using on your install.

Sorry I do not understand what information you needed from phpinfo, but I can tell you what the version numbers are.
Apache 2.2.17
PHP 5.3.5
MySQL 5.5.8

This is the most useful information so far. A web search for the exact error message will turn up many pages, including the manual page for MySQL error 2003 (10060).

Sorry I did not understand the information in that link:frown:

If this error is caused by network connectivity problems, one resolution is to use named pipes, bypassing networking altogether.

Again this went right over my head.:frown:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
What I meant was that I disabled the firewall before starting the Wamp sever, then I tested it with the firewall still off.
Good. It seemed you might have done this; I just wanted to be explicit.

Just a further note I shut down my antivirus completly to test it, but it made no difference.
Are there any other applications that filter network communications? The Windows firewall, for example, if enabled may interfere.

Although Wamp is on the local machine could the router be causing the problem.
If PHP is configured to connect to localhost, the packets won't be transmitted on the network, so the router won't be involved (unless you've got something odd in your hosts file).

Looking at the Tcpview window there is nothing else using this port.
There couldn't be. Only one process can bind a port for listening, otherwise it would defeat the whole point of ports (the network stack wouldn't be able to route the packets to the correct process). The point of using TCPView is it shows you that MySQL Server is running and is bound to the default port. If either weren't the case, it would cause the error you're getting.

Sorry I do not understand what information you needed from phpinfo, but I can tell you what the version numbers are.
PHP is having problems connecting to MySQL, so you need to check its MySQL connection settings (or mysqli connection settings). In particular, check the hostname and port PHP is using.

Sorry I did not understand the information in that link:frown:

Again this went right over my head.:frown:
Then you should turn to your friend Google.

Last edited:

paul-holmes83

Reaction score
Are there any other applications that filter network communications? The Windows firewall, for example, if enabled may interfere.

I don't use the Windows Firewall, just the one that comes with my antivirus, I've just checked to make sure the Windows firewall is turned off. I don't know of any other applications that may be filtering Network communications.

PHP is having problems connecting to MySQL, so you need to check its MySQL connection settings (or mysqli connection settings). In particular, check the hostname and port PHP is using.

mysql
MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version mysqlnd 5.0.7-dev - 091210 - $Revision: 304625 $

Directive Local Value Master Value
mysql.allow_local_infile On On
mysql.allow_persistent On On
mysql.connect_timeout 60 60
mysql.default_host localhost localhost
mysql.default_password no value no value
mysql.default_port 3306 3306
mysql.default_socket no value no value
mysql.default_user no value no value
mysql.max_links Unlimited Unlimited
mysql.max_persistent Unlimited Unlimited
mysql.trace_mode Off Off

mysqli
MysqlI Support enabled
Client API library version mysqlnd 5.0.7-dev - 091210 - $Revision: 304625 $
Active Persistent Links 0
Inactive Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0

Directive Local Value Master Value
mysqli.allow_local_infile On On
mysqli.allow_persistent On On
mysqli.default_host localhost localhost
mysqli.default_port 3306 3306
mysqli.default_pw no value no value
mysqli.default_socket no value no value
mysqli.default_user no value no value
mysqli.max_links Unlimited Unlimited
mysqli.max_persistent Unlimited Unlimited
mysqli.reconnect Off Off

In both cases host and port were not set, I changed them localhost and 3306 is that correct?

My hosts file as only 1 line in it 127.0.0.1 localhost

Then you should turn to your friend Google.[/QUOTE]

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
@Paul: the relevant info is the host name and port (the connection settings), both of which are correct. This means the problem doesn't lie with PHP. Something else on your computer is preventing PHP from connecting. Read up on MySQL error 2003 and named pipes (a potential fix).

@Dead-i: take a closer look at the posts. 968 is the process ID, not the port.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Who the heck wants to "Go Advanced" to turn off something that should be an opt-in? Making the "picture people" do the extra work rather than sabotaging plain text is a much, much saner approach. (There is no emoticon for how I feel about the Eternal September.)

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
(There is no emoticon for how I feel about the Eternal September.)

Only because Unicode doesn't include elder signs, not even in the private use area. You could always call forth Zalgo.

>̵ͦ̊̐͋͂͐ͨ̾̚̕͏̜̪͖͙:̨̘̭̺͔̰̳͛͒̎̾͂̀͑ͦ̔̈́̇̀̕͢ͅ-̴̵̓͌̐̀̒̋ͮͪ̑ͨ̍͂ͤ́̚͟҉͖̥͍̱̝̻͙̙̫͚̯̫̰|̵̡̢̢̧͓̩̪̙̰̫̝̹̼͋̃ͩ́̈͂̆ͦ͗̏͊̄͂ͬͩ̎͋̉

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Invoking Chthulhu? Here? That's a "like".

paul-holmes83

Reaction score
Well I have finally got it working to an extent.

I have looked at everything that I fond on the web, but none of the fixes worked, so I completly uninstalled it, deleted its folder, deleted everything I could find in the registry, did a full search of the computer and deleted all tucked away files.

Then I reinstalled a slightly older version 2.0i as against 2.2a the older version worked straight away so I am guessing there is a bug somewhere in the newer version.

The only problem that I have now is changing the default password.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Then I reinstalled a slightly older version 2.0i as against 2.2a the older version worked straight away so I am guessing there is a bug somewhere in the newer version.
Or the default settings may have been more restrictive. One of the earlier documents I linked to outlined a situation where MySQL server settings would result in the error you were getting.

The only problem that I have now is changing the default password.

The manual is your friend: "Resetting the Root Password: Windows Systems".

Last edited: