Are users allowed to upload images on free hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x9hotelx

Reaction score
I intend to create a site using my own domain that will be hosted on x10Hosting using the free services available. My site will have a feature which would allow registered users to upload an image/images to the site. Most hosts don't allow site visitors to do this, but I am unsure on whether this restriction is in place for x10Hosting.

Images would be individually checked on what they are and on whether they should be put onto the site for public viewing.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
I intend to create a site using my own domain that will be hosted on x10Hosting using the free services available. My site will have a feature which would allow registered users to upload an image/images to the site. Most hosts don't allow site visitors to do this, but I am unsure on whether this restriction is in place for x10Hosting.

Images would be individually checked on what they are and on whether they should be put onto the site for public viewing.

Yes you're allowed to have a feature which lets registered users upload images, however that cannot be the primary purpose of the site. An example of a valid site that allows image uploads would be a forum. You cannot host a general image hosting service (or any file hosting service) on free hosting.

Furthermore, you must monitor the user uploads to ensure that the material isn't copyrighted and that they have permission to upload it, and that it doesn't violate any of the free hosting terms. You are responsible for what gets uploaded and for promptly removing anything that violates the terms.

x9hotelx

Reaction score
Yes you're allowed to have a feature which lets registered users upload images, however that cannot be the primary purpose of the site. An example of a valid site that allows image uploads would be a forum. You cannot host a general image hosting service (or any file hosting service) on free hosting.

Furthermore, you must monitor the user uploads to ensure that the material isn't copyrighted and that they have permission to upload it, and that it doesn't violate any of the free hosting terms. You are responsible for what gets uploaded and for promptly removing anything that violates the terms.

The site isn't a file/image hosting service, but is an entertainment image-sharing site. Something like MemeCenter, 9gag, and other sites in the latter.

Images would be indeed moderated closely so that they do not violate general laws, x10Hosting's terms, and my site rules.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's file hosting/sharing, no matter how you look at it. You're describing an image board. A chan. The images aren't incidental to other content, they are the content. If you were to be able to argue your way past that, then you're still left with the 1GB media files cap (which would make for a very, very small chan) and the whole copyright issue (putting funny text on a copyright image doesn't necessarily constitute an allowable derivative work that falls under the Fair Use doctrine, no matter what people think).

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
However, you're allowing users to host the images, and they could be hotlinked, therefore it is a file hosting website.

x9hotelx

Reaction score
Alrighty guys, I've got this all cleared up now.
Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.