In Progress Email account lost!

bajkox10

Reaction score
Kia Ora Everyone! I should have brought this up ages ago.
The shift to new servers etc. has resulted in the disappearance of my email account michael@bajko.nz.
On the dashboard my subdomain michael.bajko.nz , records as my domain (which should be bajko.nz) and nothing is recorded under 'subdomain'.
My website is (what was the subdomain) michael.bajko.nz and is working fine.
I have bookmark access to web mail michael@bajko.nz that I can send from! but has received nothing since 3/12/2021.
What's more, if I wish to make a new email account, according to the dashboard, it would have to be _____________@michael.bajko.nz.
my registered domain is bajko.nz.
Any help retrieving michael@bajko.nz would be most appreciated.
Many thanks Michael.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds like some oddities going on. I'll look into this, however it may not be as straight forward as to just add it to the account.

One option is to attempt a re-transfer of the original cPanel account, though this would wipe the current completely, though as that is likely what caused the email account to go missing I'd verify this by temporarily restoring that to a different server as to not overwrite what you have in case it fails. If I were to go ahead with this, do you have a backup that is current of your data as that backup would be what was taken on December 2019 just prior to accounts being transferred to the DirectAdmin server?

If you don't feel this would be a good idea, it might be possible to add the domain into the account and once that is done recreate the email address, you would not be able to get access to anything old though with this option (though this might require me to remove, or rename, the current subdomain (michael.bajko.nz) temporarily).

bajkox10

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Anna. Try a retransfer. I have no backup. The website is pretty minimal and I had just one email. Regards Michael.

bajkox10

Reaction score
Hello Anna. Please use whatever is most convenient for you in resurrecting my email michael@bajko.nz. I am more concerned about the email than the website. That I can rebuild. Many thanks, Michael.

bajkox10

Reaction score
This sounds like some oddities going on. I'll look into this, however it may not be as straight forward as to just add it to the account.

One option is to attempt a re-transfer of the original cPanel account, though this would wipe the current completely, though as that is likely what caused the email account to go missing I'd verify this by temporarily restoring that to a different server as to not overwrite what you have in case it fails. If I were to go ahead with this, do you have a backup that is current of your data as that backup would be what was taken on December 2019 just prior to accounts being transferred to the DirectAdmin server?

If you don't feel this would be a good idea, it might be possible to add the domain into the account and once that is done recreate the email address, you would not be able to get access to anything old though with this option (though this might require me to remove, or rename, the current subdomain (michael.bajko.nz) temporarily).
Hello Anna, just realised how to reply! Below is what I posted as replies.
Thanks for your reply Anna. Try a retransfer. I have no backup. The website is pretty minimal and I had just one email. Regards Michael.
Hello Anna. Please use whatever is most convenient for you in resurrecting my email michael@bajko.nz. I am more concerned about the email than the website. That I can rebuild. Many thanks, Michael.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I have redone the transfer to a second server (I'll PM you login details, and if you prefer I can terminate the other and associate this with your panel login), however it becomes clear that the domain was a parked domain on your original account. This means it is transformed to a pointer domain, pointer domains can not hold their own email address, it will only mirror what email address there is on the main domain, your x10host.com domain in this case.

A user should however still be able to send to your name@domain.com address, though I suspect you will not be able to send emails that state that they come from the pointer domain (they'd show as coming from the x10host.com domain I believe).

From here, we can go two routes, you keep the recent transfer, but remove the domain from pointer and add it as a separate domain and copy your contents over from the x10host.com domain folder. Also in this option, there's currently no michael.domain.com subdomain, though there is a folder called michael in the public_html which likely contains the proper data, so we could work from there to get the domain fully working.

Or, you keep the current account, you would likely need to remove the name.domain.com from domains and then add it back as domain.com only and then be able to create the subdomain michael.domain.com and make sure the correct data is located there.