Setting Up SMTP

russianx

Reaction score
Hello there. I'm having a real hard time with this. I read and read, but all have different answers, and never the one that works.

So, I have simple forum, that require e-mail verification upon registration.

Simple config for it:
Code:
$config["plugin.SMTP.server"] = 'x12.x10hosting.com';
$config["plugin.SMTP.username"] = '';
$config["plugin.SMTP.password"] = '';
$config["plugin.SMTP.port"] = '';
$config["plugin.SMTP.auth"] = '';

But what's next? where do go from here?

Last edited:

russianx

Reaction score
Is there at least some kind of a DIY write up in here? Most platforms require email verification. Seems odd not to have it.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ive never used the "SMTP" function im not sure if that is allowed on free accounts,
maybe a staff member or other user can help with that.

ive usually just used the phpmailer option in most scripts..

karrx10h

Reaction score
(@russianx) I'd try this:
PHP:
$config["plugin.SMTP.username"] = ''; // Full e-mail address or JUST the DirectAdmin username if you use the default one.
$config["plugin.SMTP.password"] = ''; // A password or DirectAdmin password if you use the default one.
$config["plugin.SMTP.port"] = 587;
$config["plugin.SMTP.auth"] = true; // Boolean value. "True" of "false". Maybe "true". Give it a try.

russianx

Reaction score
(@russianx) I'd try this:
PHP:
$config["plugin.SMTP.username"] = ''; // Full e-mail address or JUST the DirectAdmin username if you use the default one.
$config["plugin.SMTP.password"] = ''; // A password or DirectAdmin password if you use the default one.
$config["plugin.SMTP.port"] = 587;
$config["plugin.SMTP.auth"] = true; // Boolean value. "True" of "false". Maybe "true". Give it a try.
Thanks man! Worked like a charm. This should be in a quick FAQ somewhere visible.

russianx

Reaction score
One more question. Not even sure if it's a hosting related, or what not.

But, what are this images in front of a subject line? And why are there X in all the emails that gets received from my website? How to get rid of it? x.jpg

karrx10h

Reaction score
I think they're just emojis at the beginning of the subject. The green one appears in --> this page <--.

If that's the case, you should check the settings of the script (forum?) that sends the emails.

[After some minutes...]

Ah, don't worry at all.
SubjectIcons.jpg
You see?

Thanks man! Worked like a charm. This should be in a quick FAQ somewhere visible.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Finally!: --> A reply <-- and --> the article <--.

Last edited:

russianx

Reaction score
I did check it. The script is old as hell, back when there was no emojis or icons were allowed in emails. And I check the script, nothing suggested any emojis in subject line, especially X's, thats why i'm assuming its automatically added cause it goes through x10hosting spam.

karrx10h

Reaction score
Well... The emojis are just Unicode chars; not actually icons.

Not sure about the Xs being kind of spam marks; maybe.

Uh... The two icons. Well, they're actually two emojis. The one of the clock, I just copied a line from that page I linked. And the truck... I just went to the Emojipedia, then I did a search for "truck", clicked on «Delivery Truck» result and then I clicked on the «Copy» button and pasted the Unicode char to the subject. And typed that «Test truck.» thing too.

By the way, what email client (or webmail) are you using? To reading the emails, I say. I ask because, for the capture, I used the Roundcube webmail client from x10Hosting; in the DirectAdmin. And it doesn't look exactly the same way your capture looks like.

And again..., I think that "icons" are just emojis (Unicode chars), part of the subject line. And if they're not being put by the script..., dunno then.

russianx

Reaction score
I use roundcube as well, that's why I'm asking. I was just using gmail for texting perposes. Anyway, thanks for your help, I will look for unicode characters in a code...

$mail->Subject = sanitizeForHTTP(' '.$subject); // ⚠️ ❌

I found it. Changed it to a Bell. It was displayed as SQUARES in the code, so I couldn't tell if its emojis. lol

Last edited: