Can send emails but not receive them

nornx10m

Reaction score
If I login to an email address via the hosting control panel using roundcube and email my Gmail account I can successfully send emails, but if I send emails from Gmail and other mail hosts I get the "email sent" message but the emails never come through.

The last email I have in my roundcube inbox is from 2022-03-02.

I've been a long time user of x10hosting for many years and had minimal issues. I also use cloudflare for the free SSL and other features. This never was an issue before.

I believe the migration to the new control panel may have affected my emails somehow.

If anyone has any idea on how to rectify this situation I'd be very happy, thank you.

ctyrd

Reaction score
The last email I have in my roundcube inbox is from 2022-03-02.
Something has defiantly changed. SSL/TLS not working correctly with hosted domain port. Insecure works as expected. Something in your dns records needs updating. Need a domain to check dns records.

nornx10m

Reaction score
Something has defiantly changed. SSL/TLS not working correctly with hosted domain port. Insecure works as expected. Something in your dns records needs updating. Need a domain to check dns records.
Domain I'm using is: xxxx

X10 domain: xxxx

Gmail responded with "The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect." the day later.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll want to check the MX records over at cloudflare, did a lookup with intoDNS:
Error
MX RecordsOh well, I did not detect any MX records so you probably don't have any and if you know you should have then they may be missing at your nameservers!

You need proper MX to receive emails.

nornx10m

Reaction score
You'll want to check the MX records over at cloudflare, did a lookup with intoDNS:
Error
MX RecordsOh well, I did not detect any MX records so you probably don't have any and if you know you should have then they may be missing at your nameservers!

You need proper MX to receive emails.
I tried multiple domains and ports on cloudflare to add MX but to be honest I'm not exactly sure what I should be putting there. Where can I find the details on my hosting control panel?

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
In DirectAdmin, under DNS Management, your domain would exist with the standard settings. Make sure you look at the right domain by chosing in the dropdown at the top of page where it says "Domain: "
Find the MX record, which would say something like:
norn.cf.14400MX10 mail
Duplicate this at cloudflare, along with the record for mail, which should look like:
mail14400A198.91.81.##
where ## would be the specific for your server, for instance if you are on x11, it would be 11 as the last portion. This value cannot be proxied by cloudlfare as they do NOT have a mailserver for you.

nornx10m

Reaction score
In DirectAdmin, under DNS Management, your domain would exist with the standard settings. Make sure you look at the right domain by chosing in the dropdown at the top of page where it says "Domain: "
Find the MX record, which would say something like:
Xxxx.14400MX10 mail
Duplicate this at cloudflare, along with the record for mail, which should look like:
mail14400A198.91.81.##
where ## would be the specific for your server, for instance if you are on x11, it would be 11 as the last portion. This value cannot be proxied by cloudlfare as they do NOT have a mailserver for you.
Knowing little about mx or mail servers I googled and eventually found the correct port (which cloudflare requires), I used port 25 and seem to be able to receive emails now. The other ports I tried from Google weren't correct.

This can be listed as resolved, I'm going to remove my domains from my first entry for privacy issues and if you could from one of your replies if that's okay.

So in summary, cloudflare requires a port whereas no port is mentioned in directadmin, 25 is probably standard and I just wasn't aware.

nornx10m

Reaction score
One last strange thing, I know since x10 migrated to directadmin email forwarding has been removed but it seems that emails are going through to the address I had them forwarded to in the past. This isn't an issue as it's still a feature I like. Just odd.

ctyrd

Reaction score

nornx10m

Reaction score
In a mx record the 25 is not a port, it is "priority". 10 would be better then 20.

There is an error with your MX name validity. Check it here. An "A record" for "_dc-mx.144f7c56db9a" may fix the issue.

With an email client can you send/receive over secure ports 465/995 with a cloud flare SSL Certificate?
Does this look valid to you, I haven't changed anything I just followed instructions above from Anna but that was earlier in the day. Blanked out domain.

Though I did take your advice and change it from 25 to 10 priority, dunno why I thought it said port my brain is playing tricks on me.

Attachments

• IMG_20230318_213802.jpg
    IMG_20230318_213802.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 5

ctyrd

Reaction score
So do I have errors or not? The site Anna sent doesn't seem to flag any.

The grammar on intodns makes me think the other site may be more trustworthy.
Anna used intodns also. Go to intodns.com and and see the error.

nornx10m

Reaction score
In a mx record the 25 is not a port, it is "priority". 10 would be better then 20.

There is an error with your MX name validity. Check it here. An "A record" for "_dc-mx.144f7c56db9a" may fix the issue.

With an email client can you send/receive over secure ports 465/995 with a cloud flare SSL Certificate?

Anna used intodns also. Go to intodns.com and and see the error.
I just noticed there was no mention of mx toolbox as you replied lol. How do I fix the error. I tried adding it to cloudflare as an a pointing to 198.91.81.12 and refreshed intodns and same error.

Edit: Seemed to have fixed the error on intodns, cloudflare makes things confusing.

Last edited:

ctyrd

Reaction score
How do I fix the error. I tried adding it to cloudflare as an a pointing to 198.91.81.12 and refreshed intodns and same error.
A Record for "_dc-mx.144f7c56db9a" should work. Depending on the TTL. The mx record "_dc-mx.144f7c56db9a" is a odd choice. I just us mx.ctyrd.org. A record for mx with IP 198.91.81.13. It may be the "_dc-mx.144f7c56db9a" giving error. The extra dot in name makes it a sub-subdomain.

nornx10m

Reaction score
A Record for "_dc-mx.144f7c56db9a" should work. Depending on the TTL. The mx record "_dc-mx.144f7c56db9a" is a odd choice. I just us mx.ctyrd.org. A record for mx with IP 198.91.81.13. It may be the "_dc-mx.144f7c56db9a" giving error. The extra dot in name makes it a sub-subdomain.
Cloudflare was giving it that random name for some reason because I had mx as norn.cf as I had in directadmin but when I renamed it to mail.norn.cf on cloudflare it seemed to have fixed it.

My mx record in directadmin is still only norn.cf though. Yet emails are being received and sent. This is confusing. First time messing with mx stuff.

Something that's completely off topic is that I'm still receiving emails forwarded to the address that I had emails forwarded to on the old panel, even though email forwarding is removed on directadmin. I guess it's in the database somewhere still. Pretty random, though not complaining.

Last edited:

ctyrd

Reaction score
Something that's completely off topic is that I'm still receiving emails forwarded to the address that I had emails forwarded to on the old panel, even though email forwarding is removed on directadmin. I guess it's in the database somewhere still. Pretty random, though not complaining.
I would start a new thread with topic email fwd or something. Staff will look at it. I only ever had Directadmin

With that being said, in your hosting control file manager. Look in My files >> imap >> Inbox >> domain name >> Maildir. See if there is a file with forward in the file name. If there is a file view it. You should be able to edit it. Be cautious editing files outside of public_html!