garrensilverwing

Reaction score
"" i get this weird symbol at the top of a few of my pages. http://www.brianwallchess.net/games is one of the pages this happens on. I use html/css/php/mysql/javascript and i cant find the symbol anywhere in the code. is there an explanation of this? (i am viewing it in the latest version of firefox)

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Firefox 3.5.5 under Windows 7 x64; I don't see it either.

--- Mr. DOS

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
those symbols are typically added to file of a certain char encoding (I'm not 100% sure which one though but I think it is utf-8) by some text editors. Has to do with the documents BOM.

In some text editors (notepad++ for instance) you can chose to save as utf-8 without the DOM being added. I've mainly ran into them when coding php, they are then typically added before the first <?php tag.

I can not see the symbols when viewing that page.

Last edited:

garrensilverwing

Reaction score
maybe its just me because i use notepad++ and php...after i refresh the page a couple times it goes away, though i am running sessions and wouldnt it say i cant run the session if there are utf-8 code before the session starts?

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Those are the latin-1 glyphs for the UTF-8 byte order mark (BOM, not DOM). Check the source in a hex editor and you'll see it: "\xEF\xBB\xBF" at the start (plus an extraneous space). It's used to specify the endianness used in the file. Notepad++ should have a "UTF8 without BOM" menu item (not sure where, as I'm an Eclipse guy).

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are the latin-1 glyphs for the UTF-8 byte order mark (BOM, not DOM). Check the source in a hex editor and you'll see it: "\xEF\xBB\xBF" at the start (plus an extraneous space). It's used to specify the endianness used in the file. Notepad++ should have a "UTF8 without BOM" menu item (not sure where, as I'm an Eclipse guy).

Format>Encode in UTF8 Without BOM (I'm a notepad++ user, although I have mine set to ANSI and it seems to work okay for me) :)

email origami

Reaction score
It's either what Livewire said, or..

this happened to me after I installed a free Helvetica font. The browsers wouldn't/couldn't load it so they put in