360 vs. ps3

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
well the ps3 is catching up to 360 user base.. it's like 18 mill vs 25 mill?

Given a few more months ps3 will catch up to 360.

Catch up? No. Not at the price it's being sold at and the 360's recent price cut.

9 times out of 10 the PS3 version will sell less than the 360 counterpart. Only a few instances have we seen the PS3 outperform the 360 in sales (such as Soul Caliber 4).

I'd like to also mention that the attachment rates of the 360 are significantly higher (8.1) compared to the PS3 (5.3). Developers see the 360 as a platform in which there games will not only sell but will give them more access to online sales with downloadable content, etc... as well.

JDLLyons

Reaction score
Why do people always make these comparisons? They are two different consoles that appeal to two different demographics. They both have great games and they both have terrible games. I could say the 360 is terrible because of Halo 3 or that the PS3 is terrible because of games like Haze.

In the end, specs don't mater because the hardware is capped anyways. the ps3 has a performance cap so it can live up to its claims of having a lifespan of 10 to 15 ears. Sony put more thought into this consoles future use while Microsoft wants more money so they will dish out a console every 3 to 4 years. One is not better then the other.

Besides, there are not very many people on this forum that actually have the right to pass judgment. How many people are are engineers, game designers (like myself), system programmers or even a video graphic artist? Not very many I can bet. It is okay to prefer one over the other but at least have the credentials to back up your claim when you say one is better then the other.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Why do people always make these comparisons?

People feel need to justify there purchase.

They are two different consoles that appeal to two different demographics.

That'd be true if we were talking about the Wii but when it comes with the PS3 and the Xbox 360 they have the same demographic, 18-35 males. Both are trying to widen there demo graphic, with Sony, LBP and Home and Microsoft it's new interface and tons of arcade games that can be considered family games.

They both have great games and they both have terrible games. I could say the 360 is terrible because of Halo 3 or that the PS3 is terrible because of games like Haze.

The difference between those two games are that Halo actually has been proven to be a quality title by consistantly being the top played game on the Xbox 360. Haze will be forgotten in 6 months or so. You can't compare one of the best games for a system to one of the worst games to a system. It's silly.

In the end, specs don't mater because the hardware is capped anyways.
I agree, specs do not matter, games are what matters.

Besides, there are not very many people on this forum that actually have the right to pass judgment. How many people are are engineers, game designers (like myself), system programmers or even a video graphic artist? Not very many I can bet. It is okay to prefer one over the other but at least have the credentials to back up your claim when you say one is better then the other.

Everyone has a right to pass judgement on what they buy, especially consumers. They buy the games that pay the bills for publishers down to lowly game testers.

I do agree with you though that people need to back up what they say, but I disagree with your thinking that you need to be a game designer. I'm not a game designer but I know what a good and what a bad game is. I play games a lot and I can see flaws in every single game I've played. I do not need to be a game designer to express my views on games nor should anyone else.

And where do you work, since you said you were a game designer?

Satoru

Reaction score
I think alot of people forget what you get out of the box with a PS3 (hence price) when compared with the 360.
With some packages you dont get wireless controllers, (add to that they require extra battery packs to be rechargable) no wi-fi, no hd movie playback hardware ect.

I'm not saying PS3 is the SH...they are both fair consoles, but people forget you get what you pay for.

skai123

Reaction score
Catch up? No. Not at the price it's being sold at and the 360's recent price cut.

9 times out of 10 the PS3 version will sell less than the 360 counterpart. Only a few instances have we seen the PS3 outperform the 360 in sales (such as Soul Caliber 4).

I'd like to also mention that the attachment rates of the 360 are significantly higher (8.1) compared to the PS3 (5.3). Developers see the 360 as a platform in which there games will not only sell but will give them more access to online sales with downloadable content, etc... as well.

I wasnt talking about software sales...
even with the 360 price cut, it didnt boost the sale by that much...

And PlayStation Network matches Xbox LIVE user base.. it's about 14mill~ registered user on PSN.
Edit:
I think alot of people forget what you get out of the box with a PS3 (hence price) when compared with the 360.
With some packages you dont get wireless controllers, (add to that they require extra battery packs to be rechargable) no wi-fi, no hd movie playback hardware ect.

I'm not saying PS3 is the SH...they are both fair consoles, but people forget you get what you pay for.

espcially using other devices like for bluetooth, you can connect almost any bluetooth device to ps3. same with usb. ie. mouse, keyboard, printer, headset, etc.

so you save money in the long run.

Last edited:

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I wasnt talking about software sales...
even with the 360 price cut, it didnt boost the sale by that much...

And PlayStation Network matches Xbox LIVE user base.. it's about 14mill~

Yeah but we're talking about userbase in relation to the development of games which also translates to sales of games. They go hand in hand.

And the userbase of Live vs PS Network is very misleading. With PSN they include multiple accounts, which mostly everyone who owns a PS3 has. PS3 owners make multiple account names with the purpose of accessing content that is otherwise unobtainable due to region. Not only that but they count PSP users as well. I don't know anyone who doesn't have 2 or 3 accounts on there PS3.

Realistically there is about 5-8 million real users on the network.

Now Microsoft does count multiple accounts as well, but most users do not make them because they have access to pretty much all content with there main gamer profile.

kentzeng

Reaction score
a true gamer = ps3 + 360
a consumer gamer = 360 - ps3
a pirate gamer = 360 * ps3

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Last edited: