403 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrissD

Reaction score
Hi,

I've pointed www CNAME to my site, but now when I try load it up it comes up with a 404 error and the page /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi I don't understand why it's not just going to the index.html page?

www.cdoyle.co.uk is the page and should direct to chriss.pcriot.com

Anyone tell me why this might be happening and how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
What steps did you take to point the cname to your site?

ChrissD

Reaction score
Hi,
In 123 reg's DNS control page I selected:
name: www
type: CNAME
content: chriss.pcriot.com.

Thanks

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Go to the Simple DNS Zone Editor in your cPanel and add the cname there, too. Let's see if that works.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
It would help if you added it as a parked domain.

The DNS entry just (ultimately) points requests to your server. The server has no record of the domain name and so cannot relate it to your files.

ChrissD

Reaction score
Go to the Simple DNS Zone Editor in your cPanel and add the cname there, too. Let's see if that works.

It looks like this has been done by parking the domain below. I'll give it 24 hours and see if all the updates make it work properly. I deleted the CNAME listed there and changed it to this. Can you tell me if this looks right to you?
Code:
NAME                           TYPE         RECORD                   ACTION
www.cdoyle.co.uk. 	   CNAME 	  chriss.pcriot.com 	Delete

Also, my 123 reg account has my MX records and an @ catch all email setup too. Can this domain parking affect any of this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You would need to add the domain to your account in some way, otherwise the webserver have absolutely no way in knowing what content to serve.

If you want to be able to use a CNAME you basically have two options, parked domain (shows the same content as chriss.pcriot.com) or addon domain (separate site located in a subfolder of /public_html/)

Looks however like you have set it up correctly, for www.cdoyle.co.uk (cdoyle.co.uk does not point the same place).

Last edited:

ChrissD

Reaction score
It does point the web to the right place, but it appears that my email has now broken. Is this coincidence or is it possible that it's affected?

I notice that cPanel has added a mx entry, the following:
Priority Destination Actions
0 cdoyle.co.uk Edit Delete

Many thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

All resolved, I think it was a coincidence.

Thanks guys, fantastic support, I'm very grateful!

Chriss

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.