404 Error Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretply

Reaction score
I used the "Error Page" link in the cPanel Advanced options and edited the 404.shtml page. When I tried to purposely enter an invalid link, it gave me the default x10hosting's 404, not my custom made 404 page. Can someone help me out?

secretply

Reaction score
All data was cleared, including cache, from Google Chrome, still doesn't redirect to custom made 404 webpage.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Open your File Manager, and in the pop-up box that appears, click to show hidden dotfiles. Then, navigate to your .htaccess file and add the following line:

ErrorDocument 404 404.shtml

If it's already there, then make sure that nothing else is on the same line as it.

secretply

Reaction score
It wasn't there before so I added it and it did change the default error page but still not my custom error page.

Internet Explorer = Gives me their custom 404 HTTP Error Page
Mozilla Firefox = Gives me a white page and "404.shtml" text
Google Chrome = Gives me their custom 404 HTTP Error Page

Last edited:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
It wasn't there before so I added it and it did change the default error page but still not my custom error page.

Internet Explorer = Gives me their custom 404 HTTP Error Page
Mozilla Firefox = Gives me a white page and "404.shtml" text
Google Chrome = Gives me their custom 404 HTTP Error Page

Is 404.shtml the actual directory of your custom 404 error page? Are you sure you didn't put it in a separate directory, or use a different extension like 404.html or 404.php?

secretply

Reaction score
I'm sure it is 404.shtml, I have visited the page manually and it does show me the error page. The File Manager shows the file under the /public_html directory.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I'm sure it is 404.shtml, I have visited the page manually and it does show me the error page. The File Manager shows the file under the /public_html directory.

Then the line you inserted into your .htaccess file should be sufficient. Did you try clearing your browser cache after you modified your .htaccess file?

Last edited:

secretply

Reaction score
This might have been a fault on my part but I finally got it. A little searching on Google suggested that I needed the whole 404 URL. It does work with the full URL, not 404.shtml If you guys meant for me to add the URL then I'm sorry, I wasn't really thinking last night but thanks for the help.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
This might have been a fault on my part but I finally got it. A little searching on Google suggested that I needed the whole 404 URL. It does work with the full URL, not 404.shtml If you guys meant for me to add the URL then I'm sorry, I wasn't really thinking last night but thanks for the help.

That's interesting. In my .htacess file, I don't have the complete URL, just a relative URL with respect to the .htaccess file. In my case, it was /misc/404.php. Either way, even though I'm not sure why it didn't work in your case, I'm glad that you got it figured out. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.