404 errors: has mod_rewrite stopped running on the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

margotkn

Reaction score
When using WordPress pretty permalinks I'm getting 404 errors on all pages except my home page - the site is margot-krebs-neale.eu (for now I've gone back to plain links to allow visitors to navigate the site while things are being fixed). I think the .htaccess file is OK (it's the plain Wordpress version).

I also tried a brand new test WordPress installation with a couple of pages at margot.elementfx.com/test/ - pretty permalinks don't work on this either so I think this is most likely a server configuration problem. Perhaps mod_rewrite is disabled on the server or needs a kickstart?

Many thanks!

Margot.

discou23

Reaction score
Been happening for a couple of days :(
Some people. Have said theirs got fixed on another thread. Mine is still the same today.

margotkn

Reaction score
Yes - looks like it's affecting a few sites. Hopefully will be fixed soon.

sebandf2

Reaction score
well when your in your sites admin panel under the Search Engine Optimization and it says this Rewrite URLs? Yes or No Yes is checked and I get the following message The rewriting does not seem to be working. This may be because you have not uploaded the .htaccess file, but may be a false error if your community is not generally accessible. Check friendly URLs are working, and if they are not, ensure you have uploaded the .htaccess file correctly or contact technical support for assistance.

I have the .htaccess file and everything but it doesnt work I am on xo7 idk what server they are on

gentarki

Reaction score
I am on xo7 as well and none of my freaking subpages/posts work now, just the homepage.
Ive changed nothing!
what is going on x10hosting?! come on =(

Also, why the heck did the /home directory of my account change?!?!?!
Its now labeled /home5 ... this screws up some things on my site.

Last edited:

gentarki

Reaction score
OK, I can confirm a temporary fix at least for my site.
I had to change the permalinks settings back to "DEFAULT" in WP settings.
I was using "POST NAME" previously for search engine permalink optimization. It seems the entries that get added to .htaccess as a result of that setting.... arent working correctly. They worked just fine a few days ago. So something is definitely screwy on x10hosting's end.
Please fix! I really need my links to be readable by search engines. Thanks

This is the code thats inserted when "POST NAME" is set in WP options for the URL scheme:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

Please check your mod_rewrite apache setup x10hosting!! I think its not working.

Last edited:

discou23

Reaction score
Interesting gentarki.
I was also able to access a post which had the default wp slug name/number.

For 99% I use the post title, or derivatioN of that, as the slug name. None of those are working and I diidn't want to take the risk on changing the settings. Thought sbout doing tgat tgen chabgibg straight back again, but it might not put things back exactly the way they were. Then later, if a fix is finally found then it might screw things up if I meddle with that .

Has anyone tried that/ or might be wilking to try?
I'm too scared lol.

discou23

Reaction score
Getting this now:
"Error 503 Backend fetch failed"

while although that's obviously bad - it could well mean they are fixing something and have taken things offline while they do it? ...(well- I can hope can't I? :p )

arp1445

Reaction score
I'm also getting "Error 503 Backend fetch failed" error sometimes...

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sorry for the trouble here. This looks to be an issue with XO3, and I have escalated this problem to higher staff.

Thank you,

savanna5

Reaction score
Same or similar issue here. My website was working fine before. I revisited it a few weeks later and it's suddenly in a state of disarray. My website is currently at savannahcrossing.x10host.com. When I click on a link from the home page:

Not Found

The requested URL /about/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I would also like to point out that of the pages that do load, (the home page and the wp-admin section), they occasionally don't load for a different reason. I'd say about every third page load randomly results in this next kind of error. Here's an example error page:

Error 503 Backend fetch failed
Backend fetch failed

Guru Meditation:
XID: 482443943

Varnish cache server

I also have two follow up questions:
1) Can anyone confirm if the hosting on the paid plans is reliable enough to make an upgrade worth it?
2) According to http://status.x10hosting.com/, the free hosting server X02 is "down". How can I tell what server my website is running on?

-------

UPDATE: Everything appears to be resolved now. Thank you!!! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.