4gb Ram !!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittain

Reaction score
Hey guys im just wondering whats the risk if you put 4GB Ram into a 32 bit windows vista cheeeers !;);)

Swiblet

Reaction score
There's no risk. The only thing is that I believe only 3 gigabytes is recognized by Vista and the fourth Gigabyte is a waste of money ^^

~~B3N

Jesse

Reaction score
Yeah sure why not? but i suggest that you also use intel core 2 duo so more power :).

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no risk. The only thing is that I believe only 3 gigabytes is recognized by Vista and the fourth Gigabyte is a waste of money ^^

~~B3N

I thought that was an XP limitation they fixed?

I'll edit in a bit, I'm gunna try and do some research on that. I KNOW most of the last gigabyte is wasted in XP, but I coulda sworn they changed it for vista...

Edit: I'm half right but mostly wrong (don't ask how that works, I'm confused myself XD )

http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/

Turns out Vista DOES do 4gb ram, but it allocates a good chunk of it to pci bus and other crap like that, so of 4gb you end up around 3 that vista can use for itself and games.

The article points this out as well though: If you have 4gb ram and a 512mb video card, Vista has 3.5gb (not counting other hardware that uses memory!) to use for itself. So definitely put 4 in so Vista's got as much to play with as humanly possible.

Last edited:

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I think there is no risk at all. Instead you get more memory and your system won't get bogged down.

Slothie

Reaction score
You'll get 3.2GB under 32bit windoze. Been there already :p

fitzysit

Reaction score
i second that slothie been there too, its not worth it
to really boost your system go dual or quad core processor
i think that the Apple Mac processors (8 core) is just overkill lol

dr.scoo

Reaction score
4GB are not bad .they won't have any bad effect.
but 4 won't have a better effect than the 2GIGS.
u could probably concentrate about the speed of the ram, the speed will make difference.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
By the time a system is running 4GB of RAM, you probably won't need to use the paging file to boot up. Otherwise, the last I heard 32-bit can only support up to 3.5GB of RAM, not 3.2GB of RAM.

tonecas

Reaction score
Well I think It will make your machine much faster but if u have that Ram Why dont you try de 64 bits edition ?

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have 4 gb + 512 mb on the graphic so I have around 3328 MB. Look in my sig otherwise.

Last edited:

Slothie

Reaction score
System core works with 32bit digit length, and 32bit = 2^32 = exactly 4Gb. So the maximum amount of MEMORY (i'm not saying ram) available for your system is 4Gb.
But, you must understand, that this maximum amount works this way:
Maximum available for RAM = Maximum total (4Gb) - Processor memory (±2 or 4Mb) - Video Card memory (how much do you have? 128? 256? 512?) - Reserved by the motherboard itself for any other controller.
So in total, the maximum usable memory capacity will be ±3.2Gb for RAM.

Sohail

Reaction score
There's no risk at all! The only thing you would get out of that is a really smooth running computer! :)

Jesse

Reaction score
There's nothing bad in putting too much memory on your computer. but if your using a desktop, upgrade your power supply to a higher voltage.

Slothie

Reaction score
Jesse's suggestion is right... consider upgrading to atleast 500W

lol your processor can't take it :p

It has nothing to do with processors, that box has a Q6600, if that's not enough to handle it, I have no idea what is.

On another box, I have a Q6700 running 64bit windows with 8GB Ram =P

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
if you're going to put 4 gb of ram in there put a real OS on it so you can take advantage of it!!!! Well actually thats true of any hardware... window's is just to bloated to get the max power out of any machine... I read some article comparing user perception of an old box think a c64 and a modern pc... and believe it or not the old pc with the old software performed faster than the modern pc with modern software... well relative to user perception obviously the new pc is doing alot more work, but what does that tell you about all the bloated crap that's in windows... kinda getting off subject now...

but to answer your original question... if you board says it supports 4gb then it will have no negative recourse although you may not be able to utilize all of it with your current os

Status
Not open for further replies.