500 Internal Server Error???

Status
Not open for further replies.

supertanno12

Reaction score
I have made a /staff directory with a .htaccess and a .htpasswd (everything in there correct). However, the directory gives a 500 Internal Server Error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, no-reply@x10hosting.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I have made a /staff directory with a .htaccess and a .htpasswd (everything in there correct). However, the directory gives a 500 Internal Server Error:

Can anyone help me?

can you post what is there in the .htaccess?

supertanno12

Reaction score
I've got 2 (an old and a new, both had the problem), so I'll post them both. You want the .htpasswd too?

Old .htaccess (.htaccess.old):

AuthUserFile staff/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName homebrewer
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET>
require user homebrew
</Limit>

New .htaccess (.htaccess):

AuthUserFile staff/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Authentication required"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Please fix this error, I really need that page to work so that my site can air soon.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Give the full path for .htpasswd file like /home/<username>/htpasswds/.htpasswd
and better place the file other than public html folder for security reasons.

Last edited:

supertanno12

Reaction score
OK, I did what you told me to do, but now the entire site is out :S.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have tried copying both .htpasswd back, but it didn't help. I did the following:

• Created /supertanno in /home
  • Created /supertanno/htpasswds in /home
  • Moved both .htpasswds to /home/supertanno/htpasswds
  • Changed things in /home/public_html/staff/.htaccess
That's all I did. Where could it have gone wrong?

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
OK, I did what you told me to do, but now the entire site is out :S.

I have tried copying both .htpasswd back, but it didn't help. I did the following:

Did you changed the .htaccess in your /public_html/staff folder or in your public_html folder? check and confirm.

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score

Sorry, you did not do any of that. You cannot create directories in /home

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
@descalzo, I think, He just removed the cpanel username in the above paths, May be he thought that it is not safe to post in the forum.

Last edited:

supertanno12

Reaction score
I did make a folder named "supertanno" in /home, planning to change the name later. What could I have done wrong(seeing as I did everything on my list)?

e99Zf.jpg

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Like I said, you did not.

Why don't you just rename your .htaccess and see if that clears up the problem?

And are you showing the full contents of .htaccess ?

supertanno12

Reaction score
Now I know you're right, but how come /home/supertanno shows up in /home? In my eyes it doesn't seem to appear as a subfolder (again, I know you're right, I'm just very stubborn :p). You can even see it in the screenshot I put up (just above the tmp folder).

Also, I indeed am showing all content of the .htaccesses.

I'll try renaming them.

EDIT: I have changed the names of .htaccess and .htaccess.old into htaccess.txt and htaccess.old.txt. Still a 403.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Nevermind, the 403 turned out to be a problem with the public_html permissions. Please keep this thread open though, in case there's a problem with the password protection.

EDIT: I have changed the names of the .htaccess files, however there's still a 500 :frown:. What could it be? I did everything according to this tutorial: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorial...So-You-Want-A-Password-Protected-Page-Huh.htm

(Other things in the .htaccess and .htpasswd, due to using a different generator).

The page does show when the password protection is turned off. I have also changed the path of the .htpasswds.

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Now I know you're right, but how come /home/supertanno shows up in /home? In my eyes it doesn't seem to appear as a subfolder (again, I know you're right, I'm just very stubborn :p). You can even see it in the screenshot I put up (just above the tmp folder).

Also, I indeed am showing all content of the .htaccesses.

I'll try renaming them.

EDIT: I have changed the names of .htaccess and .htaccess.old into htaccess.txt and htaccess.old.txt. Still a 403.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Nevermind, the 403 turned out to be a problem with the public_html permissions. Please keep this thread open though, in case there's a problem with the password protection.

EDIT: I have changed the names of the .htaccess files, however there's still a 500 :frown:. What could it be? I did everything according to this tutorial: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorial...So-You-Want-A-Password-Protected-Page-Huh.htm

(Other things in the .htaccess and .htpasswd, due to using a different generator).

The page does show when the password protection is turned off. I have also changed the path of the .htpasswds.

Why don't you use the password protected directories in cpanel to protect the "staff" folder?

supertanno12

Reaction score
I was just about to post that I had found the password protected directories in cPanel, and that I had used it :p (and then I read your post XD). Thanks for all the help, I'll be sure to tell all my friends of your awesome support!

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
On a side note, if you were to try get the htpasswd working. I'd check your permissions aren't too loose. 500 errors these days seem to be caused by incorrect permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.