500 Internal Server Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcisaac

Reaction score
Whenever I try to access my site, isaacandnathan.com, I get a generic HTTP 500 Internal Server Error page. I checked the permissions of my Public_HTML, it is 755. My index.php file is 644. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Christopher

Retired
Reaction score
I'm getting "Error establishing a database connection"
Did you fix the 500 error?

If no, try renaming any .htaccess files to htaccess.txt
You will have to enable the viewing of hidden files when you open the file manager.

Last edited:

abcisaac

Reaction score
I do not know how to fix this error. I still get the 500 error, even after changing the .htaccess file.

Chris73

Reaction score
I will look into this as it's not connecting to the database. I don't see a 500 error.

EDIT: You don't have a user set for the database. You will need to use the one you have set in the wp-config.php file to get it to connect to the database.

Last edited:

abcisaac

Reaction score
Oh, I thought I had already created a user and edited to wp_config to match. I'll look over that again.
Edit:
I corrected the information in my wp_config.php file. Now it matches the user on my database (abcisaac_isaac24), but I'm still getting the 500 error.
Edit:
It seems really unusual that I'm able to use cpanel and ftp but can't view any of the pages online.

Last edited:

Chris73

Reaction score
I am still seeing the "unable to connect to the database" error. I would suggest flushing your dns and clearing your browsers cache.

When you added the db_user did you add the one that was in the wp-config.php file?

abcisaac

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually changed my wp-config.php file to refer to the database user rather than create a new database user. Should I do it the other way around. I can clear the browser cache, but I don't know what flushing the dns means.
Edit:
Okay, so now I tried to create a new user, tester, and it said new user successfully created, and when I clicked on go back and reloaded the MySQL page, it merely gives the error message: name lookup timed out. Did something happen to my database when I tried to create this new user?

Last edited:

abcisaac

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I was able to get the "Successfully flushed..." message. So then I tried to reload my site, and I got a message that Windows thought the certificate was bad because it referred to a different site and I was all confused because my site isn't "secure" or anything, and I didn't type in https or anything. That was totally weird. So I don't know what was up with that. I tried again and got another 500 Internal Server Error.

I put an index.html page (instead of index.php) that shows a general message for my site users. I can load that page, but when I try to go to http://isaacandnathan.com/index.php that is when I get the error.

I saw some other threads from users saying they are having problems with the Cossacks server. Could this be related?

Since I'm able to get a regular html file from my site to display, I do think you're right that my site isn't able to access the SQL database. Is this a problem that is isolated to me only or are other people having this same problem, too?

Is there something wrong with my database? I do think it's weird that I don't see the usual php error messages about not being able to connect to the database (like has happened before on another hosting service when I miskeyed the name or password on my wp-config.php file).

Chris73

Reaction score
I think the easiest solution to your problem would be to recreate the database and add the user at the same time you create the db. For some reason it seems that you are not allowed to connect to that database.

Last edited:

abcisaac

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try that and create a new thread if I'm still having problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.