Access Forum Board Through Custom Domain URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

femifitx

Reaction score
Hi Anna,

This migration has still not been done. This is a serious concern for me now. Visitors to my site are entering information to a database that's not current. I've gone ahead to revert the IP change just to at least make sure these new additions to the database are on the same server. But it's been several days now and this retransfer has still not been done. It's creating a serious risk for me.

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I asked him this morning how it went, he said he thought that he had done them all, but by the looks he didn't, I did once again remind the admin in charge.

It might be wise to setup a maintenance splash on the site to avoid users interacting with the wrong version of your site, as he may do it during my sleeping hours (me and admin who can sort it is in different timezones) so that means it could be a few hours before you are notified of the change as well

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I just spoke to the admin, he's working through my small list, saying yours would be next to go, so hopefully it will be all sorted in the next 30 minutes

ADD: Your account should now be retransferred.

Last edited:

femifitx

Reaction score
I just spoke to the admin, he's working through my small list, saying yours would be next to go, so hopefully it will be all sorted in the next 30 minutes

ADD: Your account should now be retransferred.

Thanks a lot, Anna. Yes, it's now transferred. HOWEVER. he reduced my storage size to 1GB again.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I will sort it out when I get home from regular work, approximately 5 hours from now.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The disk space has been increased

femifitx

Reaction score

Though, you might want to login to the forums admin area and make sure it is set to use the custom domain, otherwise it may set all internal links to be the x10 provided domain.

Hi Anna,

Sorry to bother you again. But i'm having problems making this change. I'm using Elkarte. I tried changing the Forum URL in the field below (image) and that seemed to break everything. Do you know what changes I should be making and where exactly? Elkarte copy.png Elkarte copy.png

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never used that forum software, but I'd assume the top one is the one where you tell it what domain (including folder, like domain.com/elkatrte) to use, the others should probably be left alone (hard to say without knowing what they actually say), but if I recall your custom domain is a pointer, right? If so the file paths would not need to be changed at all.

femifitx

Reaction score
Thanks. That was my thinking too, but when I changed the URL to my custom domain, it seemed to break everything. Somehow, it seemed like the ensuing page wasn't referencing the CSS. I think I'm going to check the forum database now to see if there's anything there (I've already broken the forum as is, I don't think I can do much more damage... lol)

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes it is easier to do a manual install, that way you can ensure it ends up on the right domain with all parts.

femifitx

Reaction score
Exactly! This is exactly what I was thinking. Well, looks like I might have to start over.

Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.