Resolved Accidentally changed url and can’t change it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

amakersl

Reaction score
Hi there,

I redirected my domain to a wordpress blog. I went in and changed the url to the new one I’d like by accident. So now I can’t seem to change it back and I can’t access the so admin. Can see there is something about changing the php from the cpanel but can’t see where to do that? Please could someone help? Apologies for being clueless!

thanks!

amakersl

Reaction score
So I had amakerslibrary.wordpress.com pointing at amakerslibrary.com but I’ve accidentally changed it to candidabradley.com....so it doesn’t load, and I can’t get into the work admin, if it could be restored to go to amakerslibrary.com that would be amazing! Thank you!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
We are not associated at all with wordpress.com which is a hosted service provided my the makers of wordpress for people who prefer not to install and manage their own blog. If that is indeed what you are using, you will need to contact them for help.

What you have with us is a selfhosted wordpress that you installed either through softaculous or by uploading the files after getting them from wordpress.org. The blog that is installed with us is properly configured to use the domain amakerslibrary.com

I can not fully troubleshoot however since you use cloudflares proxy service, which makes it hard to see where the domain is actually getting its information, I would advice that you login to cloudflare and temporary turn of the proxy, should be a simple switch under dns settings.

amakersl

Reaction score
Hi Anna, wordpress have said that I need to adjust the phpMyAdmin and that this is through the host?

I can’t see how to turn the proxy off on cloudflare. All your help is so welcome, thank you!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
In phpmyadmin the correct url is entered, that's the first thing I checked.

As for cloudflare, login to your account. Click on the domain you want to edit if you have more then one, then on DNS, click on the cloud for the A record to temporarily disable the proxy.

2020-03-19_2031.png

amakersl

Reaction score
Ok, thank you, have turned that proxie off! All I did in the wordpress dashboard setting was change the url to Candidabradley.com, I didn’t even put the full address in. Really hope you can help, thank you

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I can see, the domain amakerslibrary.com still uses cloudflare proxy, though I can right now not even ping it from my own computer. Could you please take a screenshot of the settings at cloudflare?

amakersl

Reaction score
Of course, here you go, Hope this helps? If you type in the address it doesn’t go to the blog, just to candidabradley.com..so a blank safari page

Attachments

• DNS  amakerslibrary.com  Account  Cloudflare - Web Performance & Security.png
    DNS amakerslibrary.com Account Cloudflare - Web Performance & Security.png
    413.4 KB · Views: 3

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
You do lack some parts on there. There should at least be an A record for the domain that points to 198.91.81.12

arecordcloudflare.png

This is the first row for my cloudflare, the lack of A record is likely why I can not ping the domain properly.

amakersl

Reaction score
Ok, so I have added that..is there some way to ping that to the wordpress now?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It now responds to ping, but is definitely using cloudflare proxy. On the cloud icon click the cloud so it gets grey, do not remove the row, that bypasses the proxy and allows me to see where the redirect is actually done.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It might actually solve it if you go to the cache button and purges cloudflare cache. As I said previously, the database in your account does actually hold the right information

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I found the underlying problem, when you made that change in your wordpress settings, the domain was actually pointed to the old server (on the database there it has the wrong domain entered).

You should be able to safely turn cloudflare back on now that it points to the correct place, cloudflare should automatically update with the proper information when it is turned back on.

Have you done many posts and/or changes since migrations started in mid December? If so I will grab the latest version of the database on the old server so that you do not lose content.

amakersl

Reaction score
Hmm I think I understand what you mean! Turned cloudflare back on but I still can’t see the page when I go to it, this is what my cloudflare looks like, i there anything I need to change again? I haven’t done many posts since last December so not too worried about that.

Attachments

• Caching  amakerslibrary.com  Account  Cloudflare - Web Performance & Security.png
    Caching amakerslibrary.com Account Cloudflare - Web Performance & Security.png
    477.2 KB · Views: 1

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks just fine.
In the top row, you have an option for cache, clicking that allows for purging (that forces cloudflare to get the fresh set from our servers
cloudflarepurge.png

amakersl

Reaction score
Yep, I’ve done that, just did it again, but still isn’t working, it’s still trying to go to the url candidabradley.com...

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Worked fine when I tried it in the incognito mode, so it may also be in the browser cache.

amakersl

Reaction score
I can see it is now working!!! Thinking my iPad was being slow. Thank you SO much For your help and patience!!! Really appreciate it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.