Account is Currently Suspended - Ajax Chat???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
OK, somebody please tell me that the heck is going on here?

<quote>
Your Account is Currently Suspended
Your hosting account with the username is suspended, access to this account has been disabled. The reason for suspension is listed below.

Suspension Reason: Ajax chat, public_html/smf/chat.
Unfortunately this suspension is not able to be resolved automatically. To resolve this suspension please open a support ticket.
</quote>

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
As per our TOS chatscripts/shoutboxes are prohibited on free hosting.
TOS said:
* Shoutbox\Chat Scripts: Use of these scripts is strictly forbidden due to the amount of MySQL queries they take. Accounts found with chat scripts or shoutboxes will be suspended.

You apparently had one of those on your site, a staff member spotted that and suspended your account.

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
Thank you, Anna, I just figured that out through my searching. I also understand that the suspension is permanent.

The thing is, it was an honest mistake on my part for not thinking to check the TOS. You folks should know as well as anyone the people skim over that stuff (if they read it at all) when they sign up - and then forget most of it. The chat was originally placed there, WELL OVER A YEAR AGO, as a non-published testbed site for a forum I run on another privately hosted site. After a time I opened it up to a small group of shortwave radio enthusiasts who have only intermittently used, it as a courtesy to the group.

The chat is no great loss to me, it was very unreliable during the times the gents really wanted to use it, i.e., over the holiday times. I would remove it, given the chance. What really bothers me is this draconian suspension with no warning or recourse. My site is a low traffic site with information for ham radio operators that, despite it's low traffic, does get a fair amount of attention worldwide (and has even been mentioned in a international technical magazine) - a total of over 2800 unique visitors over three years. That may be small potatos to some, but these are mostly technically inclined adults who have purpose and mission. I shouldn't need to point out that this generates favorable attention for X10. I have also promoted X10 to friends and associates worldwide, and even joined the affiliate program that seems to have disappeared. I have not hosted p0rn or warez, illegal music or other questionable content, or put up sites that attract kids, gamers, social networking addicts, spammers, political hacks, bloggers, or any other high volume or low social value content. IOW, I've been a good user.

So, first you loose all my files in the server move. OK, I recovered from that. Now, this. If you want to consider this an appeal, fine. I'll hold off judgment for a few days. It would be inconvenient for me to move my content to a new site. I would prefer to stay where I am, if possible. However, if this is the final word, I doubt that I will have anything good to say about X10 management for the forseeable future.

Nothing personal.

Regards,

-Jim

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I have removed the suspension, please remove the chat as soon as possible.

Jim_NU0C

Reaction score
Thank you Anna, I will do so immediately. The Chat link from the menu of the SMF forum that no one uses will take a little more effort, but the folder that drives the chat system will be deleted as fast as my fingers can fly.

Regards,

-Jim

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Great, I'll close this thread as the ticket has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.