Account was suspended out of the blue with no reason given

Status
Not open for further replies.

allstare

Reaction score
So, I woke up this morning with a suspension email in my inbox, the X10 panel just says "Reason − Administrative suspension."
I have appealed but I don't know what I've supposed to have done here, I've used X10 hosting for a long time now and have never intentionally broke the terms of service, I've reviewed them again and do not see what I could have broke, it has no Warez (I'm a Application developer so completely against it already), I always sign in every week or so, no bots on there, nothing of any bad nature.

The only thing I did last night was rename a .mp3 file which I was using as a test file for my Application, it was not a big file, no more than 4MB if I remember correctly, and it was never even played fully by my Application during testing.

I'm really confused here, the account holds the update check files which my Apps open when they are launched, tiny txt files, not even into double figures KB.

caftpx10

Reaction score
What is this file you were using as a test? Is it created by you? Does it contain actual audio? Is it copyrighted?

allstare

Reaction score
What is this file you were using as a test? Is it created by you? Does it contain actual audio? Is it copyrighted?
It was called cityonfire.mp3, The .mp3 file was created by me yes, it does contain audio taken from a YouTube video with a Standard YouTube license, only I had access to the file itself, I really really hope I don't loose all my Applications files, contact email (All my Apps direct to a email I used on this hosting account) there would be no way for me to change all of them to another host

This video's sound track to be exact

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't yet, please file an appeal from your account portal and await the response from our abuse officer.

allstare

Reaction score
If you haven't yet, please file an appeal from your account portal and await the response from our abuse officer.
Yes already have filed an appeal, damn I really hope it's overturned, I need that account, I just emailed an tester from that account with a new App Beta installer.

allstare

Reaction score
Been well over 12 hours since I filed the appeal, anyone know how long its supposed to take to get an answer?

Omio

Reaction score
Answers can take 48 hours and above. Anything below 36 hours is a bit of a miracle (or a really unique/horrible case like mine was).

At least, that's what I figure, by my limited experience. I'm not a staff member, so my comment is not official.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The appeal has had an answer in for 9 hours; it should be viewable from the panel.

@Omio: barring highly unusual situations, disputes get an initial answer/reply within 24 hours, usually less than 12 depending on my schedule. There have been cases where more time was needed (such as trying to identify a false positive or investigate further), but I do try to get an initial reply done advising that we are looking into the situation further so it's not sitting without an answer.

allstare

Reaction score
Would have been handy if the text : "We are reviewing your suspension appeal, please standby for an update. " had changed when a reply was sent, I didn't even realise till I read Livewire's reply.

Seems it was my missing index file, I removed it a while back with the intention to build a new website, which I ran into screen issues on Mobile's and forgot to put it back, I've agreed to upload a working website within 24 hours of unsuspension, now waiting for it to be unsuspended so I can upload it, I agreed about 11sh hours ago

Omio

Reaction score
Would have been handy if the text : "We are reviewing your suspension appeal, please standby for an update. " had changed when a reply was sent, I didn't even realise till I read Livewire's reply.
Just clarifying that this part, I have to agree on.

caftpx10

Reaction score
If that is a rule then why isn't directory indexing disabled by default?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen directory indexing work in the past if there's a subfolder that doesn't have a webpage within it, such as a user providing a generic "downloads" folder for their items. In that particular case they were covered under the ToS because they did have a main index page that did link to the downloads folder. Other than that, I honestly think it's left on as disabling it can cause confusion for inexperienced users, since the site will display errors immediately after creation until an index.html/htm/php is uploaded, and not everyone knows to create one (or that it's case-SeNsAtIvE).

In any case I've lifted the suspension in question here; my ISP screwed me last night, lost internet for 6 hours straight so I gave up and went to bed.

caftpx10

Reaction score
I've seen directory indexing work in the past if there's a subfolder that doesn't have a webpage within it, such as a user providing a generic "downloads" folder for their items. In that particular case they were covered under the ToS because they did have a main index page that did link to the downloads folder. Other than that, I honestly think it's left on as disabling it can cause confusion for inexperienced users, since the site will display errors immediately after creation until an index.html/htm/php is uploaded, and not everyone knows to create one (or that it's case-SeNsAtIvE).

In any case I've lifted the suspension in question here; my ISP screwed me last night, lost internet for 6 hours straight so I gave up and went to bed.
Yes, that is true. I was thinking of styling the directory index so maybe it shows something else like a message saying that an index file must be in place or something rather than the actual list of directories. Anyway, this is the source that I've found: http://perishablepress.com/better-default-directory-views-with-htaccess/

allstare

Reaction score

Cheers Livewire, my website is now uploaded and online, http://allstarsoftware.co.uk

Not a bad start for about 6 hours work with a dodgy mouse and from someone who usually doesn't deal with web stuff

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Works for me, I'll mark it resolved. Thanks!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify some on this... we do require our users to put up a website. We're going to be revamping the terms of service a bit to better explain this. Our goal as a web host is to allow users to create useful websites\applications. However, because we allow full freedom in terms of PHP, MySQL, a lot of people like to use us for file and script hosting which is something we do not allow. We have automated systems and we also randomly review accounts. If an account has no easily accessible website it is technically breaching the terms of service which would cause a suspension. We're happy to remove the suspension if an appeal is submitted though.

Because we use cPanel, an all SSD cloud platform, have daily backups, etc each hosting account is much more expensive in terms of resources required vs most free hosts that limit you to a site builder or preset scripts. We could easily host a few hundred static websites for each semi-active Wordpress blog we host. Due to this we have to be careful with what we allow on our servers and have to make sure everyone is using their account for what it is intended for.

Status
Not open for further replies.