Ad or something blocking access to forum

pball

Reaction score
I'm using chrome and any time I navigate to a new page of the forum an ad appears and even if i click the X it comes back and blocks me from clicking anything on the page. Refreshing the page fixes it.

ad before clicking anything

ad after clicking x

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
How do you think free hosting is paid for? :)
I use an adblocker addon for Firefox. That seems to work. I know they do disappear when you get a certain number of posts though.

pball

Reaction score
Uh the problem isn't that there is ads. It's that the ad blocks all access to the webpage. That clearly should be considered an issue.

henk506673

Reaction score
last i knew, x10's free hosting had no adds.
i would use adblock for chrome. i have personaly never ran into this problem but it is an interesting one.

pballz

Reaction score
I'm not talking about their hosting. It seems their forums do have ads, which is fine since it'd help support the free hosting.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
It should be sticking to the outside of the forum, not the middle, I'll look into that.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I began noticing this issue after the last forum upgrade.
Have not been able to use Firefox with the forums since that time.
Chrome has intermittent issues which seem to come and go.

LostHorizon

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anybody else still have this problem about the ad? "pball" is not being very clear on the description of the problem. It seems that the ad follows the mouse pointer's movement, and when the mouse pointer stops just when you're about to click on a link, the ad appears right at the mouse pointer's location on the screen, and as a result, you're clicking on the ad instead of the forum's contents.

Note that this DOES NOT happen when you're LOGGED IN. :smile:

Jennacide

Reaction score
Note that this DOES NOT happen when you're LOGGED IN. :smile:

Not so... I'm logged in on Chrome, it happened to me, but I must say, it's not happening to me today or the last couple of days. But when it did happen, I had to refresh the page every page load to make that pop-up no longer "block" my access to the page. It's annoying sure, but refreshing does work... Keep the faith, it'll get fixed =)

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Far as I know it would only pose a problem on smaller screens, only times I've managed to get it to come in the way of the forums is when I have made the browser window very narrow or when I've been on a small, low resolution, screen (like a notebook for instance)

dfsgdgdf

Reaction score
last i knew, x10's free hosting had no adds.
i would use adblock for chrome. i have personaly never ran into this problem but it is an interesting one.

If you read what the OP was pointing out, the ad was being shown on the forums not any free hosting site within x10hosting.

Anyway, I never knew there was any ads on the forums at all. AdBlock Plus ftw! :D

Last edited:

pball

Reaction score
Thanks for the people who finally took this seriously. I don't want to complain much (specially since I use the free hosting), but more than a few threads I've made don't end up getting decent help

Jennacide

Reaction score
Far as I know it would only pose a problem on smaller screens, only times I've managed to get it to come in the way of the forums is when I have made the browser window very narrow or when I've been on a small, low resolution, screen (like a notebook for instance)

Sadly that's not the case. I experienced this issue with my main screen set to 1280x1024 so it's certainly not that... Honestly I think it's browser related as I had the issue in Chrome, but not FF4 or IE... Just food for thought.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The last forum update seems to have caused it. I'll have to step through the JS and see what the issue is in the next day or two.

LostHorizon

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, I DON'T have this problem if I'm LOGGED IN - however, (til now) I still do if I'm not logged in.

FYI: I'm using Internet Explorer 8 at 1024x768 screen resolution.

frogamus

Reaction score
I logged in to mention it myself. I usually don't log in to read stuff but the ads pop up on every mouse move at the mouse position.

maxwales9184

Reaction score
I used the tab key to navigate the forums before I could log in. Took a while, but I was glad it didn't pop up after I did.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I commented out the code causing the issue, if you do a hard refresh it should go away.

LostHorizon

Reaction score
DIDN'T WORK Corey,

I just logged out, cleared my browser's cache, closed the current browser window, then opened a new one to get on the forum again without logging in, and the same thing still happened.

Anyway, thanks for trying Corey. Just want to let you know that it's not working - at least not for me on Internet Explorer.

Well, I guess I'm back to logging in then :smile:.