Adobe CS5 -- anyone got any comments?

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone used or tried out CS5, especially Dreamweaver? It looks like a steep learning curve, and a goodly price!

Best regards

krofunk

Reaction score
cs5 as a whole or dreamweaver? (guessing that as we are in the web design section.)

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
CS5 is as good as you can get. I don't know any alternative apps that are better then those in CS5, especially Photoshop CS5.

As for Dreamweaver, there are some excellent new features introduced in CS5, like full control over CMSs by connecting all files together making it easier to work with and see your changes in real time. There are also some new web services you can use as a part of CS5, like Adobe BrowserLabs for cross browser compatibility check. There's a new site management system, new "Inspect" tool for live view and, my favorite, improved code completion with integrated PHP documentation. There are also a lot of small tweeks and adjustments. My say is, if you want to make some money in web design business you go for Dreamweaver. Knowing that average project income for small business web sites is about $1000, Dreamweaver definitely isn't expensive. On the other hand, if you want to learn web design and don't want to spend money on Dreamweaver, you can always use Aptana Studio. It's free, Eclips based and has a lot of nice features, plus it's cross platform.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Photoshop's new content aware filter is the most amazing thing I've seen with software...period

stardom

Reaction score
Ive use fireworks from the CS4 package i have. other than that using dreamweaver was a bit steep for me.

michman

Banned
Reaction score
Never tried Dreamweaver actually, but Photoshop is the best of the best when it's about image editing.. :D
And yes, you'll have to learn a lot. I've had a look at dreaweaver too you know.. :D

Humza

Reaction score
Not much has changed from Dreamweaver CS4 to CS5 except some deisign and more coding help.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you develop a lot of CMS based websites or complex web apps (be it PHP, ASP, or something else) you should definitely update to CS5.

walidno1

Reaction score
HAHA.....well, then I am fine with CS4.......wud have burnt a hole in my pocket to upgrade to CS5.............neway, learning PHP from Lynda.com videos......

eternalmoon

Reaction score
I've never actually used dream waver myself, but i hear a lot of good things about it. As for Photoshop, it's the most amazing photo editing software there is, in my opinion. It takes a little getting used to, but it's great once you get the hang of it. I would definitely recommend it!

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
CS5 for Mac is, again, terrible. I don't think Adobe and Mac mix :)

~Callum

lmx50000

Reaction score
I tried it. But I myself like eclipse+pdt for web development more than dreamweaver cs5 does.

--post with my pool english...

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Again, if you are on tight budget then and don't want to pay for some extra features you actually don't plane on using, just stick with your current version. Apart from CMS integration there's a new Live Preview and Live Code that makes it easier to understand your design with visually marking paddings and margins and lot's of other useful things, but you could always use Firebug, Chrome integrated code inspector or Opera Dragonfly for that. It's a little bit harder but you probably do that anyway.

On the other hand, if you have the budget to update (witch is much cheaper then buying it) then you should. It'll make you life easier.

P.S. Photoshop CS5 is definitely must-have :)