Adobe Planning To Sue Apple!!! (Video)

ciril tomy

Reaction score
[video=youtube;192BBpODbk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192BBpODbk8[/video]

FOR MORE VIDEOS FROM ADOBE CEO Shantanu Narayen. adobe-ceo-on-creative-suite-5-and-apple

Just wait to finish the Fox news commercial to watch the news.

If you have any opinion about this express it here...

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
... what? no one's going to sue anyone, there's no grounds to sue.

They are merely complaining that apple won't use flash on the iPad and their reasoning is "it hurts customers" ... I like Adobe products like Dreamweaver and Photoshop but seriously, Adobe as a company is pretty fail.

Edit: Plus, remember, almost all Adobe products were bought out from other companies. Including Flash and Dreamweaver.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Adobe shouldn't have any leverage over Apple's product. Apple has more than enough reasons to avoid flash on their iDevices and they have every choice to do so. If anything, the only outcome I would see out of this complaint is an optional plug-in for Safari on Apple's mobile devices for Flash player.

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Personally, I believe Apple has more than enough reasons why they don't have Flash on their devices, and I support them with HTML5. The problem is, most of the web is still using Flash and not supporting Flash cuts users of the iDevices from many applications.

Flash Player is the only Adobe product I use on my computers.

As Smith6612 mentioned, allowing Flash as an optional plugin is probably the only outcome of this.

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah probarly it would be nice to see flash on the iPhone :) but it probarly will not happen.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I like open source and while there are more and more projects following that principle every day, only big companies with great self-esteem can afford to keep closed software policy. I don't think that's good though because when that self-esteem becomes too strong customers tend to suffer. We hear about "open" and "free" technology every day now and that's not, by any means coincidence. People don't like to be limited to whatever the company feels like profitable, especially if technology they want is widely used and free. People like to have what they want where they want it and companies that don't consider this are actually fighting with their customers, which is bad in any book. Apple refusing to implement Flash (even optional) when about 70% of all video and casual gaming (facebook games, free flash games, etc) content on the web is Flash based, isn't something they should be proud of. If customers don't need Flash there wouldn't be so much Flash content on the web then. Apple is blinded by it's enormous self-esteem and they can't see that their fighting with customers over something that simple and small, only because they think they can.

I'm not an economy expert but I don't think that Apple (or any other company for that matter) can relay completely on self-esteem and brand. This is not something you can count on in long terms because one mistake and you'll lose it and then what?

To summarize, Flash content is all over the web, like it or not you can't deny it. People use it, people want it, people like it and you can't just say no, no matter how big of a company you are. This is something people an Apple need to think about again.

mcnigelmcgruff

Reaction score
Edit: Plus, remember, almost all Adobe products were bought out from other companies. Including Flash and Dreamweaver.

Actually, Adobe purchased Macromedia (and then ran many of its products into the ground); but they did not purchase all of their products. Photoshop is an Adobe original, as well as Flex; there are others out there, too.

As for what Adobe is doing with their lawsuit; it is a difficult topic. On one hand, they shouldn't have control over what additions another company makes to their product. On the other hand, Adobe Flash has become such a widely used piece of software, the company has a responsibility to its customers to do everything they can to make sure that the software already developed can continue to be used. Adobe has the right to develop and submit a flash application to Apple's store, but the interesting part would be to see what Apple says the reason is if they deny the app. Apple has every right to deny Adobe the ability to modify one of the core apps of the iPhone OS.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I like open source and while there are more and more projects following that principle every day, only big companies with great self-esteem can afford to keep closed software policy. I don't think that's good though because when that self-esteem becomes too strong customers tend to suffer. We hear about "open" and "free" technology every day now and that's not, by any means coincidence. People don't like to be limited to whatever the company feels like profitable, especially if technology they want is widely used and free. People like to have what they want where they want it and companies that don't consider this are actually fighting with their customers, which is bad in any book. Apple refusing to implement Flash (even optional) when about 70% of all video and casual gaming (facebook games, free flash games, etc) content on the web is Flash based, isn't something they should be proud of. If customers don't need Flash there wouldn't be so much Flash content on the web then. Apple is blinded by it's enormous self-esteem and they can't see that their fighting with customers over something that simple and small, only because they think they can.

I'm not an economy expert but I don't think that Apple (or any other company for that matter) can relay completely on self-esteem and brand. This is not something you can count on in long terms because one mistake and you'll lose it and then what?

To summarize, Flash content is all over the web, like it or not you can't deny it. People use it, people want it, people like it and you can't just say no, no matter how big of a company you are. This is something people an Apple need to think about again.

Flash is rubbish though. Face the facts - it was badly built and it has massive security holes.

And developers love the closed environment - you try and pirate an app on an i(Phone|Pod|Pad), it's surprisingly difficult and half the time it breaks the device.

~Callum

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd much rather have a reasonable battery life and no ads than be able to watch a few flash videos. Flash games don't work on touch devices anyway, so there is no point in adding it for them.

chingola

Reaction score
Apple has some great products, however they seem to always do something to limit their client base.

Last edited:

blackhnd

Reaction score
I use Flash MX and that's it. I HATE Flash anything after 8 because Adobe made it too confusing and slow. Just think if Adobe bought a company like Image-Line or (god forbid) TGC. Adobe has to face the facts here, Apple has every right to not include their bloated POS Flash Player 10 on any iDevice. The only reason it exists on any other platform like Wii is that they're plugged in and don't rely on batteries.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
They do on my Nokia 5800 XM ;)
OK, they run and work. But a lot of games aren't really designed for touch input. If the phone has a keypad or a emulated keypad then it is slightly better, but my experience of flash on mobile devices has been of lagging graphics and poor input.
If it is fine for you then fair enough, it must just be past device experiences leaving a bad impression of mobile flash.

Last edited: