Allow All Remote Connection to MySql database

Rohit Karadkar

Reaction score
I am a Free user checking Features
how can I allow all remote connection to database, Currently only single host/IP can be added but I want to allow all remote connection

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The only connection you can have is "localhost" on Free Hosting. No remote SQL is allowed at all, inbound or outbound.

Rohit Karadkar

Reaction score
ok but
will they allow me to open database for all remote connection after Premium Membership ?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As far as I know, you'd be restricted to a handful of whitelisted IPs/users. That's normal for shared hosting. You'd need a VPS or a dedicated server to run wide-open. What are you planning to do that can't be done with an API brokering access for you?

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Premium hosting does indeed allow remote connection, I think you can set it to all rather then one IP by using the wildcard setting, which would be setting it to allow "%".

I'll see if I can get that confirmed by someone that actually works with the premium side of things.

Rohit Karadkar

Reaction score
As far as I know, you'd be restricted to a handful of whitelisted IPs/users. That's normal for shared hosting. You'd need a VPS or a dedicated server to run wide-open. What are you planning to do that can't be done with an API brokering access for you?

Actually I am Developing Vb.net app for my college So anyone Using that app from anywhere, can be able to Retrieve some / all data from that database
in Short want to Use This as a OPEN Cloud database

Rohit Karadkar

Reaction score
Premium hosting does indeed allow remote connection, I think you can set it to all rather then one IP by using the wildcard setting, which would be setting it to allow "%".

I'll see if I can get that confirmed by someone that actually works with the premium side of things.
Yes as free user there is still Option of "% wildcard" But I am not able to use that , if this works I'll surely go for Premium

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Actually I am Developing Vb.net app for my college So anyone Using that app from anywhere, can be able to Retrieve some / all data from that database
in Short want to Use This as a OPEN Cloud database

So write it as a web service, maybe? Or a JSON API? VB.NET and C# would be happy with either. It would be a lot more portable that way, too — that is, you wouldn't be dependent on a single hosting provider or account as long as you control the URL, so moving from free to premium or VPS or to another hosting provider would just be a minor glitch while DNS updates, not a code/config rewrite/redeploy. Again, with Free Hosting your databases are only accessible as "localhost"; Free Hosting isn't designed to be a "trial version" of Premium. And you need to have a web site, not just a data provider; that's part of the terms of service for Free Hosting (and, as a bonus, you also get a mobile version of the app that way). You can also get row and column-level permissions regardless of the database version/features. HTTP access is just saner in every way.