Alt SMTP Port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcatvideo

Reaction score
Is there an alternate SMTP port on X10's free email servers? ComCrap has started blocking port 25 from my end. I searched and the most recent answer ("no") was from 2007. Hopefully in all the changes that have happened since '07 that answer has changed...

Elesarr

Reaction score
as far as I know, there is no alternative port for free hosting. the only other option you have to send mail is the php mail() function

wildcatvideo

Reaction score
Really? With so many ISP's blocking port 25, X10 isn't providing a solution to this common problem?

Dang, I guess I'll be looking for a better hosting service.

Elesarr

Reaction score
Really? With so many ISP's blocking port 25, X10 isn't providing a solution to this common problem?

Dang, I guess I'll be looking for a better hosting service.

I find your comment very odd.

I have yet to run into many people that have this issue of the standard mail port being blocked, well unless they are spamming/scamming/phishing.....:doh:

and as a side note you won't find a better hosting service than x10

Cheers!

Last edited:

wildcatvideo

Reaction score
I have yet to run into many people that have this issue of the standard mail port being blocked, well unless they are spamming/scamming/phishing....

LOL - Then I guess you're lucky enough not to be using Comcast. I swear, the minute I find an alternative to those clowns, I'll be kicking them to the curb!

Thanks for the answer, BTW.

lhyman

Reaction score
use your own ISP SMTP server for email from your computer

x10's smtp server uses port 25 and is supposed to be used by web scripts and php to send mail

so port 25 is not blocked when it goes from x10 to x10 to the outside world

most ISP's block port 25 (to prevent people from outside of their network from using their servers to send spam)

That is why if you are setting up your email program (even if you are using an X10 email address and X10's pop or IMAP server) use YOUR ISP'S SMTP SERVER to send mail

PS: If you have a gmail account, you can use google's smtp server to send mail, it uses port 587, but you will need a gmail account, type gmail pop settings in google

Last edited:

Elesarr

Reaction score
use your own ISP SMTP server for email from your computer

x10's smtp server uses port 25 and is supposed to be used by web scripts and php to send mail

so port 25 is not blocked when it goes from x10 to x10 to the outside world

most ISP's block port 25 (to prevent people from outside of their network from using their servers to send spam)

That is why if you are setting up your email program (even if you are using an X10 email address and X10's pop or IMAP server) use YOUR ISP'S SMTP SERVER to send mail

PS: If you have a gmail account, you can use google's smtp server to send mail, it uses port 587, but you will need a gmail account, type gmail pop settings in google

lol exactly!

I was just getting ready to post this info for him, but ya beat me to it! :)

jamessmith

Reaction score
Is there an alternate SMTP port on X10's free email servers? ComCrap has started blocking port 25 from my end. I searched and the most recent answer ("no") was from 2007. Hopefully in all the changes that have happened since '07 that answer has changed...

If you're paying, I sincerely should think taking them (ComCast, right?) to court for illegal censorship would help matters.

debio264

Reaction score
You can most likely use the Comcast SMTP servers, actually. You can send mail with the from address set to your x10Hosting account, and Comcast will send it for you as long as the from address can be traced back to an actual server.

This is what lhyman has already said, but I have Comcast, and I can verify that this is the case. I run a server within the Comcast network with a dynamic DNS address, and I can send mail from that address if I send it through Comcast's SMTP server.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're paying, I sincerely should think taking them (ComCast, right?) to court for illegal censorship would help matters.

It's not illegal censorship, it's trying to stop abuse. By forcing people to use there SMTP servers, they can log and monitor all the outgoing mail on there network.

It's common for ISP's to do this; you'll see more and more do this as abuse goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.