Anyone tried evony

flyairfares

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried evony? I mean the amount of ads this game has on the web is ridiculous

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've never played it, but I have heard of it. If it's a browser based game, just install Ad-blocking software, or filter it network side and call ad viewing a thing of the past. If it's an .exe then workarounds will be needed.

By the way visit Gametrailers.com, or any other Viacom owned website or watch MTV if you want to see a ridiculous amount of ads. I don't see them here because I filter them network side (even their marketing javascript crap doesn't make it to the PC). On TV, DVRs work wonders :)

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I play evony. It's really one of the better ones I've come across. But I agree that their ads are rather objectionable. Adblockplus catches them all though, so give it try some time.

MarcyOne

Reaction score
Evony is an online strategy game involving resource gathering and town building.
It's apparently like the old computer game "Civilization", and used to be called
"Civony".

It is free to initially join, but the quickest ways of quickly building your "town"
involve paying money in return for upgrades - improving your situation is quite
slow otherwise.

The game has begun to acquire quite a reputation for its risque ads involving
scantily clad women, which seem to have no relevance to the game itself. (Note:
game does not involve scantily clad women).

The "unnoticeable now" text is apparently a reference to the game being easy to
hide, so you can play it at work/etc.

mattura

Reaction score
There are so many of these types of games around...you could probably find one without ads

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Evony is an online strategy game involving resource gathering and town building.
It's apparently like the old computer game "Civilization", and used to be called
"Civony".

It is free to initially join, but the quickest ways of quickly building your "town"
involve paying money in return for upgrades - improving your situation is quite
slow otherwise.

The game has begun to acquire quite a reputation for its risque ads involving
scantily clad women, which seem to have no relevance to the game itself. (Note:
game does not involve scantily clad women).

The "unnoticeable now" text is apparently a reference to the game being easy to
hide, so you can play it at work/etc.

I've played it...its quite fun, lost all 3 of times other than main one, to enemies...who of course used money to play : )

about the woman on the ads...there was a contest in evony, for the best looking female who plays the game, you enter the contest with a picture of yourself, and if you win, you get special ingame things and publicity...those ads,...this one chick was the winner to that contest. : ) And thus yea she did get known publically...on those ads. ...thats all I have to say for now.

Have fun playing, I play ikariam.org it's quite fun, I used to be founder/leader of the alliance that was top in ALL servers...names conquerer.

Playing on it again...last server when you make an account, I'm known as 100 just started a couple of days ago.

poepoe1122

Reaction score
I played once, it was quite boring actually. I remeber that it is easy to hide because you can change what it says in the window, which is rather a dumb feature because who is going to play this at work?

Artheido

Reaction score
Isn't Evony (AKA Civony) the game that was caught stealing resources from Age of Empires and tons of other games? And didn't they steal images and advertisement designs from other sites?

Terrible game. The Chinese company behind it are also responsible for WoW Gold scams and much more.

Some further reading: http://www.bruceongames.com/2009/07/15/more-about-evony/

Doppelgangergang

Reaction score
Good call guys. I was tempted to start playing it (was bored today) and I remembered my two week requirement and hopped on here. Turns out to be some crap that could load me with viruses or something.

saif7463

Reaction score
My favourite ad:

images

vekou

Reaction score
well,in terms of unrelated ads, another browser game in question is travian. I remember a flash ad where you have to beat a muscular man on a push-up game. You press a button to make your character do push-ups. The ad said that if you make 10 push-ups first, you'll win a prize. Well, after I made 10 push-ups, it redirected to the travian website.

Pretty lame as an advertisement, very misleading.

Trusten

Reaction score
The ads are getting more adult rated too.
exactlly, everytime im browsing the internet and i see it, i had to scroll down away from the advertisement, if not my mum would kill me. it totally makes web browsing less enjoyable.

Just wondering, how on earth do people play strategy games in a browser?
i think the nicest web-browser game is neopets, the others are really lousy and uninteresting. Of course i dont play neopets anymore.

if you like strategy games i would like to suggest the following:
Rise of Nations
Age of Empires III
Red alert
Command and Conqueor

they are really nice to play and have nice graphics (especially command and conquer)

passivegamer

Reaction score
have heard about their controversial rip off-ing . Arent they ashamed to roll it out again??

Last edited:

neilkevins

Reaction score
Hi...
I never go through with that game but from here i just saw some good replays for that game so i like to go with that game... i like to play new games so its really seems some good experience to me... Thanks for sharing post...

jensen

Reaction score
Well these games are made to make someone rich. And the money goes out to them because people want to play and win. People want recognition, that they are good at something, even if it's an online game. So if paying to get ahead helps, they'd be ready to fork out the money.

It also keeps people playing by the suspense they give - you want to know how great you really are. That after upgrading the next building you can start preparations to build a palace or that after completing upgrade to Level 10, you get to send spies or negotiate and win more money. But then it's only online.

These games keep people away from people. They occupy our precious time. Instead of spending one hour hanging out with friends at the cafe, they hang out with virtual friends that they have never met or seen. But I must congratulate the game makers - they are successful in getting people to give up part of their life just to feel important. They are successful to get people to part with their money just to feel they are great.

If you say they are scammers, they must be smart scammers because people don't seem to notice. So in short, forget about the nude lady.

Get real, go out and meet people face to face. The risk are great but worth taking. There's no hiding in real life, you cannot take advantage of the code and try to cheat. Life is real. Life is worth living