apache mod_pagespeed

kenny281296

Reaction score
does anyone know if i can install mod_pagespeed for apache myself or does x10hosting have to implement it.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
On free hosting, you couldn't do anything like this yourself, as all changes have to be made to the server as a whole rather than for individual users. I can't imagine that this will be installed (Assuming it isn't already) unless there is a great demand for it from many users and that it is a justifiable addition to the servers.
If you want this sort of control you will have to look into either a VPS or a dedicated server.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I can actually think of a few reasons why this might not be such a great idea:

1. It appears to alter the output of every file on the server, this means it has to look at every file and compress it. Whilst this may be a good option on a single site server, on a server with thousands of accounts the CPU load required just to compress every single object would be prohibitive.
2. By compressing every object you are going to seriously confuse an awful lot of people, as they will be receiving code to there browsers that looks different to how they coded it; this make debugging errors in this code more difficult as you have to first interpret what line of code the compressed code is referencing in your code.

I therefore can't see this being much of a valuable addition to the servers, plus you have to factor in the time it would take to configure it properly. I'll repeat what I said before then, if you really feel you need this then you could opt for a VPS server.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I have alerted Corey to this.

If it is to be installed, that'd be his call.

Last edited: