ASP.NET Site - VBNC_CRASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyan02

Reaction score
Hello,

I just created a basic site in Visual Web Developer, and published it via FTP. It's an ASP.NET site which is supported I believe. It works fine when I run it locally, but I keep getting the following error when I try to view it on the x10hosting server:

Compiler Error Message: VBNC_CRASH: Visual Basic.Net Compiler version 0.0.0.5914 (Mono 2.4 - r) Copyright (C) 2004-2008 Rolf Bjarne Kvinge. All rights reserved.
Error : VBNC99999: Unexpected error: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool) at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in /home/cpeasyapache/src/mono-2.4/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:348 at vbnc.TypeManager.LoadReferencedTypes () [0x00028] in /home/cpeasyapache/src/mono-basic-2.4/vbnc/vbnc/source/General/TypeManager.vb:441 at vbnc.TypeManager.LoadReferenced () [0x000e3] in /home/cpeasyapache/src/mono-basic-2.4/vbnc/vbnc/source/General/TypeManager.vb:306 at vbnc.Compiler.Compile () [0x001e2] in /home/cpeasyapache/src/mono-basic-2.4/vbnc/vbnc/source/General/Compiler.vb:534
Compilation took 00:00:00.6150960

Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it?

Many Thanks!

Last edited:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with asp/asp.net but I do know our servers support that through the mono project, our servers are liunx based. This could cause some issues as not all things may be supported. Also it might be a result of version mismatch, on your local setup you might have a newer version then mono supports.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I found a tip on compiling with VBNC. I'm another ASP.NET beginner, but this may help. Try compiling with -target:exe instead of winexe.

If you continue to have a problem, I would recommend posting in the Mono forums. I don't see many Mono experts around X10's forum very often :)

Last edited:

Hue Kares

Reaction score
A very unusual error message cyan02...

As you were trying a basic webpage, please read this tutorial for how to get ASP.Net to work at x10Hosting - as you are a Windows developer, it contains what you need to know about deploying to our linux servers.

If you still get this error after understanding the key points raised in the tutorial, please let me see your code for the page you were trying to upload, as I'd love to know how this error is generated!...

Good Luck - I hope this helps you.

cyan02

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Looks like it's because the framework I'm using (3.5) isn't compatible with Mono ... I'm gonna try to revert my site back to the 2.0 framework and see if that works. Wish me luck!! :biggrin:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Looks like it's because the framework I'm using (3.5) isn't compatible with Mono ... I'm gonna try to revert my site back to the 2.0 framework and see if that works. Wish me luck!! :biggrin:

WOW, you need terrific luck for that, not just good luck :biggrin:

I would recommend reading the mono documentation first, because Mono has limitations in many aspects, ASP.NET 3.5 being one of the major ones. Hue Kares' link is also very helpful, but it is for creating sites from scratch and not porting. There is also a way to enable better error reporting using web.config for Mono, but I can't for the life of me remember how/do it because I don't know a lick of ASP.NET, but if you enable that it should give you more information in which you can use to troubleshoot your site. Also, posting in the programming help forum will probably get you better help.

http://forums.x10hosting.com/programming-help/

Last edited:

cyan02

Reaction score
Bzzzt ... looks like you were right. No joy.

Oh well, looks like I'm gonna spend some time going over the reading you all recommended. Then I'll head back for round 2 with this website.

Thanks for all the advice, it was much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.