ATI/AMD Graphics or Nvidia

henk506673

Reaction score
i am wondering, what does the general population of x10 users choose when it comes to graphics cards, Nvidia or ATI/AMD graphics, what would you use if you had to choose? lets make this fourm post into one of the longest ones on x10 write your thoughts give your imput and help solve this question.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I recently got nVidia GeForce GTX460 HAWK and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Before that I had many graphics cards (starting as far as GeForce 2 MX :) ) but they were always nVidia so I don't have much experience with ATI/AMD.

Last edited:

henk506673

Reaction score
i have recently came into aquisition of a GTX 480, i being a ati guy am wondering if it is similar to your GTX 460 and if so what type of system are you using go run it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It honestly depends on what you feel is the best. I'm an NVIDIA person and have a rig with 4 GTX480s installed. They all work nicely and are watercooled. Honestly when it comes down to it, ATi has really been the best bang for the buck and has really been bringing some competition to NVIDIA in terms of raw gaming performance.

henk506673

Reaction score
It honestly depends on what you feel is the best. I'm an NVIDIA person and have a rig with 4 GTX480s installed. They all work nicely and are watercooled. Honestly when it comes down to it, ATi has really been the best bang for the buck and has really been bringing some competition to NVIDIA in terms of raw gaming performance.

sense you have 4 GTX480s what is your rig like so i can build one that would work with mine. i am currently at a loss over what to do with it.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
sense you have 4 GTX480s what is your rig like so i can build one that would work with mine. i am currently at a loss over what to do with it.

Man I am just full of Typos lately. I meant to say 3. Sorry about that :(

Anyhow, what you really need to run the video card the best is really just a decent motherboard and a strong power supply. You would also want a fast processor to go with the card so you aren't bogged down by games doing Physical calculations on one core, for example. These days if you have the choice, go with an i5/i7 system or an AMD Phenom II x4 machine with a high clocked CPU (with a fast Bus Speed/HyperTransport clock), PCI-Express 2.1 x16, and with a 650watt Power Supply that is rated for constant power. Also get a large amount of System RAM that also has a high clock speed. This should ensure that bottlenecks are at a minimum.

If you already have a decent system, one with a high clock Dual Core CPU From Intel or AMD, a large amount of RAM, and an available PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slot, you should be able to use it provided the power supply will power the card without choking.

Last edited:

henk506673

Reaction score
thanks i will get to work on trying to aquire those. any idea how much they will cost.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
thanks i will get to work on trying to aquire those. any idea how much they will cost.

Decent hardware, provided you already have the card can be gotten for $350-500. That isn't including a copy of Windows.

henk506673

Reaction score
the copy of windows is no problem, the problem will just be aquiring the hardware.

stardom

Reaction score
I prefer Nvidia. I have dabbled with both of the brands over the years. Nvidia has the better of the two imho.

I'm rocking a 2GB EVGA - Nvidia GeForce GTS 250. Works wonders. Plays almost all games on highest settings with no lag and good FPS!

henk506673

Reaction score
I prefer Nvidia. I have dabbled with both of the brands over the years. Nvidia has the better of the two imho.

I'm rocking a 2GB EVGA - Nvidia GeForce GTS 250. Works wonders. Plays almost all games on highest settings with no lag and good FPS!

sounds like a nice card, it just occured to me that in all of the posting i have been doing i never mentioned my card
it is a ati radeon saphire 9800, it does decent by me even though it is over 5 years old and has been through three computers but i figured it was time to upgrade

Jonathan

Reaction score
I've got a GTX 470 in my desktop and am very happy with it. Haven't found anything it couldn't handle to my satisfaction.

I have an ATI card in my laptop and it does well. It causes a lot of heat which is really aggravating. The heat from the graphics is actually the only complaint I have about my laptop (HP dv7 purchased back in January).

henk506673

Reaction score
hps do tend to have heating problems, i never thought it would be because of the graphics card though. that would be why so many of them overheat though.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ATI is the best in the business and cheaper compared to Nvidia.
Dell,HP etc are still marketing the same.
Support is awesome anyway

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
i have recently came into aquisition of a GTX 480, i being a ati guy am wondering if it is similar to your GTX 460 and if so what type of system are you using go run it.

GTX 480 is a bit better then GTX 460 but my GTX 460 is the MSI HAWK wersion which is overclocked and is good enough to compete with GTX 480.
By the way my system is (made it myself :) ):
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K
MB MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
Memory DIMM DDR3 2x2GB 1600Mhz Mushkin Silverline Stiletto CL7, 996947
VGA GeForce GTX460 MSI HAWK 1GB/DDR5,/2xDVI/HDMI/256bit
HDD SATA3 7200 1TB WD Caviar Blue WD10EALX, 32MB
SSD SATA2 60GB OCZ AGILITY, SandForce
Case Thermaltake V3
PSU 600W Chieftec CTG-600-80P
DVD+/-RW Samsung SH-S223C/SATA

henk506673

Reaction score
GTX 480 is a bit better then GTX 460 but my GTX 460 is the MSI HAWK wersion which is overclocked and is good enough to compete with GTX 480.
By the way my system is (made it myself :) ):
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K
MB MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
Memory DIMM DDR3 2x2GB 1600Mhz Mushkin Silverline Stiletto CL7, 996947
VGA GeForce GTX460 MSI HAWK 1GB/DDR5,/2xDVI/HDMI/256bit
HDD SATA3 7200 1TB WD Caviar Blue WD10EALX, 32MB
SSD SATA2 60GB OCZ AGILITY, SandForce
Case Thermaltake V3
PSU 600W Chieftec CTG-600-80P
DVD+/-RW Samsung SH-S223C/SATA
nice system, wish i had something like that.

henk506673

Reaction score
come on everyone this fourm is still open for everyone to give imput and say their card specs. you have it, i want to hear about it. this is also a fourm to state your personal card preferance, nvidia or ati/amd graphics

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
hps do tend to have heating problems, i never thought it would be because of the graphics card though. that would be why so many of them overheat though.

It actually might be worthwhile to check out how the laptop was designed for cooling as well as what parts are in the computer. Tell me your processor name and model, along with your Graphics card in the laptop. Laptop brand and model would help.

A year or so ago, I know there were issues with several laptops that contained low end NVIDIA 7300 Go Graphics Cards, and also included an AMD Turion 64 x2 CPU. I know AMD's CPUs tend to run warmer than their Intel counterparts, but the NVIDIA cards at the time also had issues with heating due to a design flaw. Many laptop manufacturers when they were designing the laptops also didn't keep temperatures and max load in consideration, so they also had an under-performing cooling system. Often times the thermal paste (or even those stupid thermal pads that don't do anything) was never of the best quality, either, and it was pretty easy to burn up. These laptops mentioned above rarely ever lasted for over a year before they developed warranty-based problems. A temporary fix to this was to apply a BIOS update that ran the fan constantly, but still it was a design flaw.

Most laptops use a single Fan and Heatsink design to cool both the Graphics card and Processor, which is honestly a poor design in my opinion. If a laptop is going to have a decently fast Graphics adapter and a fast Processor, the Graphics and Processor heat sinks should be separate, and each should have their own individually controlled fans. Dell I know had a laptop model at one point that came with a similar AMD Processor that I mentioned above, and also came with a mid-range ATi Mobility card. That laptop had two fans on it. I don't know how the heatsink design was, but it certainly kept itself running cool both under load and idle.

Last edited: