avast advert over cPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac173

Reaction score
I just reversed a suspension for inactivity (no argument about that), and when I log into cPanel a window opens up that greys out cPanel and says I should install avast. I cannot cancel that window, or access cpanel. Clicking the window redirects me to the avast (maybe) website.

You guys been hacked?

mac173

Reaction score
Here is the screen...

Attachments

• avast.PNG
    avast.PNG
    414.9 KB · Views: 17

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi mac173,

x10Hosting do not and will not offered a notice like that. Logging into both Vox's cPanel and Absolut's cPanel I can see no such notice appearing, suggesting it may be something installed on your computer causing this to happen. Obviously cPanel does not include any malware either. Please could you check that you have no browser extensions or addons installed that could be doing this, and ensure that your computer is clear of any malware. Additionally, does the logo in the top right corner of your screenshot seem familiar?

Thank you,

mac173

Reaction score
Yes, that is the Avast logo in the corner. I am on my computer at work right now, using Chrome. I use Avast at home, so I will check out my extensions. The part I do not understand is being blocked from cpanel by the advert. Avast is a legit company, they would not do this.

Thanks for checking out that it was not on the site.

mac173

Reaction score
Is there any type of ad tracking through the site? that is the only setting that looks like it could be setting off avast.

EDIT: My avast plugin is stating that there is malware detected on this site (cPanel) and that multiple users have reported the site. I don't believe that, but maybe there is a problem that is causing the avast plugin to go off. Have you seen this before?

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard of similar with McAfee, usually down to that most antivirus companies fail to understand that we're a free hosting company - they blacklist the entire domain (such as x10.mx or x10.bz) rather than the individual sites causing the issues. I'd recommend reporting it to them as a false positive, along with tweaking the settings to whitelist your domain and the server (vox.x10hosting.com:2083 in particular, since that's where cPanel's from). This should prevent the box from appearing when you're trying to get into cpanel.

mac173

Reaction score
I am now home, and it is not an issue here. I did not make any changes, and using Chrome, the settings are the same because its portable, so I am not sure what happened. I work for a state gov't, so maybe the route through the state servers/routers caused it.

steveb59

Reaction score
This is now happening to myself using either firefox and chrome?
It lets me login and go to Cpanel though, then when I try to select file manager it shows the same as mac173 had
Any help much appreciated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.