Basic html page for science project, enjoy:)

23silver59

Reaction score
Hi there
This page is just online. I wrote it in xhtml format.
any ideas for the design are wellcome
Silver

Aether

Gonrah

Reaction score
It would be better if you use images for the menu instead of plain text

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
White text on a black background is a swine to work with and few sites do it well. Gif images with transparent backgrounds are also awkward to get right on a black background.

Do use CSS to specify what colour links should be, otherwise the visitors PC will use its default settings.. dark blue on black or bright yellow on black being rather difficult to read.

Long lines of text are particulary hard to read so it's a good idea to keep them in div containers under 600px wide. This is not so much a design (it looks nice) thing but rather a requirement of human beings.

People have a high resolution 'sweet spot' in the centre of their vision so read along a lines of text which are relatively small by moving their eyes, the moment they have to physically move their head to see a little further along the line and they lose their place.

23silver59

Reaction score
Thanks you two for the insight.
As of yet i have not covered css so i have no knowlege of that.
i am unable to put up images as the hoster does not allow that for free members.
i shall be trying to inprove it as i am still learning and that was a kind of test for myself.
You will be seeing more of me:)

Silver

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,

Good idea for a site. It will be much better if you change the colour, make the text black on say pale blue, or very pale grey. The links are hard to read.

You can quite easily get the principles of css, search on the web

Keep on going with this site.

If you hoster doesn't allow images, change????

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
aether.x10.mx
It's an X10 hosted site so there should be no problems uploading images.

Useful Link: easy to follow step by step tutorials for HTML and CSS
http://www.tizag.com/

I don't know what you are using to write the code with, some folk are comfortable just using notepad but a complete beginner might be better off with OpenOffice (it does WYSIWYG web pages) or Bluefish which is bit more advanced and will help organise your site as it grows. Both incidently are free downloads.

Gonrah

Reaction score
I am a newbie in web design but I can help you with css code if you need.

23silver59

Reaction score
aether.x10.mx
It's an X10 hosted site so there should be no problems uploading images.

Useful Link: easy to follow step by step tutorials for HTML and CSS
http://www.tizag.com/

I don't know what you are using to write the code with, some folk are comfortable just using notepad but a complete beginner might be better off with OpenOffice (it does WYSIWYG web pages) or Bluefish which is bit more advanced and will help organise your site as it grows. Both incidently are free downloads.

At the moment i am using Notepad++ as it supports programming and in that way easier.
I will work on it but it will be at the weekend as i m busy at school atm.
thanks for the link the site is easy to use and informative.

I am a newbie in web design but I can help you with css code if you need.

Hi Gonrah
I am a newbie too <cringes>
I have learned alot so far but i have a long way to go.
I am getting to grips with HTML4, XHTML and C++ at the moment so i have alot on my plate. I plan to go to on to Java Flash and HMTL5 soon

Silver

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
It's a start :) When I was learning web design, the thing that helped me the most was taking apart the html and css of other sites to see how they achieved the layouts.

23silver59

Reaction score
It's a start :) When I was learning web design, the thing that helped me the most was taking apart the html and css of other sites to see how they achieved the layouts.

Nice page you have
How long have you been making sites?
Css3 look intersting do you have a link to where to learn it?
I love looking at the scource text of other pages and that was how i began to learn html

Sanity is only an illusion if it is not an illusion

Silver

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
1. Look at your page. Do you see the problem with the color of the links against a black background?

2. If you want to experiment, look into downloading XAMPP (free). Gives you a local webserver, PHP, Perl, and MySQL database. You can test things out without being on the internet.

3. If you have IE, try getting Firefox (and maybe Crome) to see how the page looks in different browsers. (I understand that you might not be able to install software, so #2 and #3 are just suggestions).

4. Content is most important. Then readability (ie colors and fonts). Then navigation (so they can find the information). Last is the flashy stuff. I prefer a clean, minimalist approach for content such as yours.