Best alternative to Flash?

digitalimages

Reaction score
I have built a few web sites and have used flash intros. In the past I used Coffee Cup Flash Firestarter but it is no longer supported and any swf's created in Firestarter will no longer work in Adobe's flash player 11 so I have to redesign those sites. I'm open to any suggestions except using Adobe Flash.
Thanks

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There's some good examples of jQuery animating jpeg images and the new html5 canvas commands are also worth a look, whilst not a perfect alternative it's the best thre is for now and should be a bit more future proof than flash

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As an interim measure, you could try converting your SWFs to "HTML5" tech using Google's Swiffy. I haven't tested it (haven't created anything in Flash for years now) so I don't know what the output looks like, but it may even give you something straightforward enough that you'll be able to see what they're doing clearly -- and that may, in turn, make it relatively easy to create the "HTML5" yourself (which will probably be some combination of image layering, CSS3 transitions and JavaScript, along with audio and video tags where appropriate).

footballfun230

Reaction score
Hello digitalimages

I suppose its how creative you want to go, I simple used my XP "Editor" to create 2 different banners and combined them together with a text/javascript code to show a flashing banner for my forum.

Flash speed, text/style/colour changes in banner is all under my control.

See (admin: True Blue) banner in action http://www.footballfun2.x10.mx/banner.html

digitalimages

Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas.
I did try converting my swf in swiffy but not everthing came through. The images and the transitions were ok but the imbeded music was ommited from the swiffy conversion. The code seems very complicated and I'm not sure where to look or how it code back in the music.

Last edited:

raj.velautham83

Reaction score
Swift is a great application to create simple, one click animated text and images. It converts and saves as a flash file and can be embedded into websites with simple coding.

nirajkum

Reaction score
its always hard to replace flash .... you can try photoshop to draw better other alternative

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Look, folks -- you might as well get used to the idea of weaning yourselves off of Flash if it's possible at all. It might be hard for games, but most multimedia content can be written to technologies that are actually supported out there.

What?!!! Well, you see, Apple's new devices don't do Flash and won't do Flash. I, like an awful lot of other users out there, run FlashBlock in my browser(s) --there are only a few sites that I allow Flash to run on, and I get to choose which ones they are. I have to be pretty well convinced ahead of time that the content is trustworthy and worth viewing before I'll allow Flash to run -- and I'm not alone.

Unless you're writing for the Internet Explorer 8 and lower market exclusively, you can use the newer HTML/CSS/JS technologies.