best antivirus Norton or Mcafee

Status
Not open for further replies.

allinone

Reaction score
i have installed norton2008 but it slow adown tyhe pc worsly, but mcafee performs on same pc configuratioon very fast, norton also don't have its definitions upgraded sophistictedly, while trhere is no virus which mcafee can't detect,

then tell me why people still prefer norton? what u prefer

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
People still use Norton and McAfee? I thought people only used it because they are pre-installed on computers most of the time..

People who don't want resource hogs use either NOD32, Kaspersky, or AVG

I use AVG 8 Free since it's a full suite that protects from viruses, spyware, and rootkits (that I haven't gotten since I've had this machine)

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Both of them suck. They eat up the resources and I should say, they are more for the corporate man. Brand name and all that. And I wouldn't bet on saying that Mcafee detects all viruses. I use NOD32 and haven't had a virus to date. Good showing. :)

Fedlerner

Former Adm & Team Manager
Community Support
Reaction score
I've used Norton, AVG, Kaspersky, and NOD32, and NOD32 is the best one by far and is the one I currently use.

scorch94

Reaction score
I go for NOD32. It's not a resource hog, plus it gives you excellent protection.
;)

echidna

Reaction score
I use avast antivirus, it usually catches the things that try to attack me. I have a lot less problems with avast then I did with Mcafee.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
There is no such thing as best for just the both Norton or Mcafee... you are really lacking out the others... if your question is which is is the best antivirus... you will have many answers to that....

If you say either the two of them... you will be asking for many others answer beside Norton or Mcafee....

Hence, I will not say either of them are good because their user-friendliness and helps to save your system resources... both of them are equally heavy on computer resources, and has many files launching about your system....

port5900

Reaction score
AVG, install it and forget about it. It will update it self scan in the background, walk the dog and bake cake with out slowing down your system. Ok it will not bake cake or walk the dog but its a good program.

Last edited:

federico_casares

Reaction score
My fav antivirus is Avast. It's free, user friendly, lightweight, updates without a problem, and works great. I used to like Norton before, but it just got heavier and heavier in every release... :(

tittat

Reaction score
norton will eat the system response no doubt.

Norton developers have the feeling that the whole system resources are dedicated for them.
When you install Norton no virus will infect the system, because all the system resources are eaten by norton. so how can a virus spread with out minimum system resource?haha :)

I use kaspersky 7.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I've never used Norton, and I don't plan to. I have used McAfee, but I'm not going to again. I use avast!, which is great.

unknownnasa1991

Reaction score
Well, I bought a license for Norton Internet security 2007 last year. I am not still using that because I bought the license, but, I'm using it because, I don't seem to have any changes in system performance except the start-up time. I have 2 gigs channel RAM and a gamer's series(full CPU) and, may be thats why it has no effect. But still, I love its security so much!!!

So, I am on Norton's side...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I use AVG as my anti-virus. Norton and McAfee are resource hogs (ever seen the RAM and CPU usage spike when the updaters are at it?). It's not a problem for my gaming computer as well, but for my old systems it is. I use AVG and it's kept me safe from anything that managed to get itself through the Linux box.

hopper

Reaction score
i use avg
it has a free version and unlike norton or mcafee it does not embed pieces of itself so far into the operating system that removing them is a chore at best and can damage your system to the point of being nonfunctional.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
i use avg
it has a free version and unlike norton or mcafee it does not embed pieces of itself so far into the operating system that removing them is a chore at best and can damage your system to the point of being nonfunctional.

I've had that problem on systems I had repaired before, wheree someone wanted me to clean out their hard drive and put in some new AV software, and whenever I got something with Norton, half of the time LiveUpdate wouldn't let me uninstall it even when the rest of the Symantec products are gone, and there still were bits and pieces of Norton still scattered all over the system shell. I have to spend some time messing with the registry (sometimes an hour) to remove it by hand.

Also, now that Vista's out, the system "core" is locked out now, so that created a problem at first when Symantec and McAfee wanted core access, but Microsoft refused, while AVG and the other companies all redesiged their software to not require core access to the system within a week.

Last edited:

euverve

Reaction score
yeah, me too... it updates everyday... it gives you better protection that those av.

tektrnica

Reaction score
Norton or McAfee? :\ how about neither, for the most effective and smallest memory footprint, i think the choice has to be NOD32... AVG used to be good many years ago, but now its seems to be on the downslide, which is a shame as its a good program. but still the best choice should really be NOD32.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer MaCafee.
1. I use MaCafee on all my PC's and I get it free from Comcast... :D
2. Norton is expensive, even their free trial only scans your computer...it cant help you at all
3. I use AVG as well, but on Vista, AVG is a Pain in the $%#. It tries to auto update itself when you don't have an Internet Con. and ends up crashing your PC.
4. While MaCafee may not have the best there is to offer, it probaly has the best 24/7 support team. I can call them anytime of the day, and they will answer and help me out..not that I need it that often...

--Leafy

Status
Not open for further replies.