best antivirus Norton or Mcafee

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeIntelligence

Reaction score
Kaspersky Internet Securety is the best Internet protection out there (including antivirus).
It isn't slow like Norton and it's powerful like you have all the most efficent anitivirus and firewalls on your computer.

Actually from my computer of 1GB of RAM, i saw that it is quite fast at running at startup.
Look, in Task Manager Kaspersky just use 22.600 KB of CPU.

Which it is an advantage and should be considered a good point.
More thing is if you find on Google.com the results of the scan of best antivirus, you'll find that Kaspersky is always in the first pole.

I am not saying that is the most efficent antivirus but it's the most powerful Internet protection.

Just one thing bad i saw in Kaspersky is the firewall. It keeps asking me if allowing this program or not every minute. You can disallow this by making Firewall Protection to "Low" which is quite dangerous.

I hope i have said enough what Kaspersky is. Anyway for the question of the topic i choose Mcafee for its fast loading and of scanning virus Norton and Mcafee are in the came level.

Mohron

Reaction score
Norton and Mcafee are a disgrace to your operating system upon install. I personally use Avast and have been quite happy with it a well as virus free since the switch from Norton. I also like that I've never had a problem with it interfering with other programs or services like I did with Norton.

SupremeIntelligence

Reaction score
With Avast i had several viruses. One of them was the beagle which totally deleted the Avast antivirus directory and i couldn't run any .exe file.

Worse antivirus to who likes to share, upload and download. But toally great for who does only go in Internet.

Mohron

Reaction score
With Avast i had several viruses.
No software protects you from everything. You have to know where you shouldin't be downloading from or even visiting.
Worse antivirus to who likes to share, upload and download.
I do all the above via many different programs and never have a problem. I use uTorrent, Limewire, Fillzilla etc.

So Avast! I have your back. It is primarily an antivirus utility, it is not a security suite so you need a separate firewall at the least as I do(zonealarm)

Last edited:

SupremeIntelligence

Reaction score
Yea i said from the view of antivirus, it does not protect well.
I use for example eMule (or RapidShare or any kind of sharing program/system) and when i download somethin, first i scan it.

This is what i did with Avast! and surprise next reboot i got Avast! deleted by beagle. But anyway it's still a good choose for who doesn't like speding some money.

Here a result of some test done by the most famous antivirus:

Pos. Name License Virus detected
1 Kaspersky Antivirus 7 shareware 93.69 %
2 F-Secure 2007 shareware 93.27 %
3 AOL McAfee Viruscan Plus 2008 free 93.07 %
4 BitDefender 10 shareware 92.43%
5 Trend Micro PcCillin 2007 shareware 91.86%
6 Avira Antivir Classic free 91.70%
7 Panda 2008 shareware 90.45%
8 Norton Antivirus 2007 shareware 87.80 %
9 Avast! Home 4.7 free 87.25 %
10 AVG 7.5 shareware 83.30 %
11 ClamWin 0.91.2 open source 81.35 %
12 NOD32 3.0 shareware 80.38%
13 PcTools Antivirus free free 77,01%
14 MoonsecureAV open source 76,06 %
15 Comodo Antivirus 2.0 free 64,02 %

Source Italian site: http://www.programmifree.com
Link of the tests: http://www.programmifree.com/confronto-antivirus2008.htm

C'ya!

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I never used any of those because I use Avast and I am pretty happy with it (exept when it scans big files over 1 GB (usually takes 20 min/file for me).

My mother had norton on her laptop and she didn't like it at all. It did her laptop slow and had too many features she would never need since she only used the computer to play cards and check mails trought a satelite modem that wasn't connected all the time. Then it is kinda stupid that you need a tool to uninstall it...

Brayden

Reaction score
the best internet security or anti-virus is Kaspersky internet security or kaspersky anti-virus, it doesn't use much memory at all and has good firewall with the best detection rate. but Mcafee is better that norton because

20. Having to type in your serial number while installing and then activating it within 20 days of installation.
19. When Norton corrupts downloading files.
18. When Norton uninstalls its self because a virus threatened it.
17. The stupid task bar tool bar thing that has pop-ups the size of greater Atlanta.
16. The live update reminders.
15. The CPU and RAM consuming virus scans.
14. Its inability to delete any virus, even ones that a three-year-old wrote.
13. How it re-adds its self to your computers start up list.
12. When it says you have spyware on your computer, then does nothing.
11. How when it quarantines a virus, it copies it to the folder.
10. If you use it to delete adware it changes your homepage and locks it.
9. After using Norton to delete spyware it tells you that you have to re-install it to open Microsoft Word.
8. The virus definitions in a Haitian health clinic are more up to date than Norton’s.
7. Norton is over hyped and over-priced.
6. Requires a subscription every year.
5. On any operating system other than XP if your computer gets a virus Norton’s only defense is to initiate “the blue screen of doom”
4. If it comes bundled with a computer and you don’t run thorough set up it will pop back up every time you log in.
3. It tried to tell me that dtgeeks was giving me a virus.
2. The latest version blocks ports that are critical to 99.9% of Internet gaming connections.

And now for the number one reason why Norton is despised worldwide:

1. Because after you realize Norton is crap. You will also find the folder is missing the uninstaller, just like many kinds of adware.

oh yer an some more reasons

1 When it creates a new rule that blocked my Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey from internet access.

2 When it told me that I couldn't download a certain program because it might have unwanted behavior.

3 When they have NO customer support.

the list goes on.......

Mindbleed

Reaction score
I use AVG. I don't know why you would pay when you do not have to.

Also, just use Firefox, and there will never be any viruses to worry about anyway.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I use AVG. I don't know why you would pay when you do not have to.

Also, just use Firefox, and there will never be any viruses to worry about anyway.

That is not true you can still get lots of viruses in Firefox. It all depends on which site you go on. Maybe Firefox might have better filters than other browsers but you can still get viruses.

-comphelp.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
1. Because after you realize Norton is crap. You will also find the folder is missing the uninstaller, just like many kinds of adware.

you need to dl the uninstaller from nortons website :/

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
You don't know how many times I've had to get the uninstaller from the Symantec FTP. It happens on almost every computer I have to fix for people, where their old ISP before they got High Speed used to give them Norton for free, and when that failed to uninstall for them, I had them either download and run the uninstaller OR I came over there if there was a big problem with their system and did it for them.

allinone

Reaction score
if i could edit the topic then i would rename it to best antivirus kaspersky or nod32

jollyrog

Reaction score
I've have been told several times that ESET's NOD32 antivirus is the best around at the moment.

I personally have been using it for 6 months, and have not had any problems with it whatsoever. A subscription is also quite cheap.

It hardly uses any resources, is easy to navigate, and the virus definitions are updated several times a day.

burner35

Reaction score
For me I will only use Mcafffe as you can control more than one computer with the license. It gets updated automatically 4 times a week for me. I can go google, search and choose the best related sites with a green tick or a red cross. It does better performance than Norton as Norton is just pure nonsense.

frankfriend

Reaction score
I have used Avast, switched to Kaspersky as a PC Pro survey showed it detected a much higher % of viruses. It does conflict with Zone Alarm sometimes.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I can go google, search and choose the best related sites with a green tick or a red cross. It does better performance than Norton as Norton is just pure nonsense.

The 'green tick' is called SiteAdvisor and its available free, you dont need the McAfee licence to get it.

I'd been a fan of McAfee for years, although I recently got NOD32 free with my Eee, and it has been very good. Lacks a firewall and all that advanced stuff, but it takes very little memory, makes a noticible difference to a computer of that spec.

Alex

jaco_don

Reaction score
I have used both Norton is 80% Efficient

where as McAfee is 95 % efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.