Not open for further replies.

Coldkiller

Reaction score
I oWN A CORE2DUO ITS ROCKING which is ur favorite?? Here Are The Specs
Core2Duo xtreme 3.0 2gb ddr2 RAM 1 terabyte hdd 1gb nvidia graphics Card

Last edited:

Zepheria

Reaction score
Umm... I thought the Core Duo 2 was a processor? for operating systems though, i prefer Fedora 7.

lambada

Reaction score
Indeed - the Intel Core 2 Duo is a processor, independent of the OS.

An OS is the first thing you install on a hard-drive that interfaces with the hardware and file system and provides a way of input (Mouse + Keyboard in a GUI or just a Keyboard in a CLI / Shell)

Prison Gate

Reaction score
This thread made my day, I'm so sorry if I'm being mean.

This does look like a show off thread though...by the way which company did you buy this computer from or did you build it.

Archkronos

Reaction score
Reeeed Haaaaaaaat Linux!

Good for most puposes. Actually, I mainly run a Server 2003 R2 machine using an XP transformation pack. Its rather good and indefinately more secure than XP.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I grew up learning DOS / Windows ... so I am a bit partial to the Microsoft brand.
Although, I really doubt I will get Vista until I ultimately have to. Even with buying a new system here soon ... I am going to request that they install XP instead of Vista.

I am slowly learning the Unix brand ... I have Fedora Core 4, but may look into something else after I move and get my systems set back up.

matthewk

Reaction score
I'm a big XP fan. My new laptop came with Vista unfortunately. I spent like 3 days getting XP to work on it. I hope I never have to use Vista, because it uses way too much memory.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
My reasoning... in two words

safety and speed

Gotta give me more to go on than that. You could say that with the various *nix systems. Safety, Security and speed ... Or at least those that use *nix systems could argue that case.

What else ya got? ...

chunsiang

Reaction score
well, i think linux distro is the best for security but the user interface is @#$% if you are a frequent windows user

XP has its plus points for its compatibility, custom-bility(yes theres no such word. i invented it :D) and eye candy (initially)

windows 2000 is very secure and stable however it doesn't have nice themes :p

and lastly, vista is no good. it only has nice eye candies but the operating system is way lousier than XP. in addition to the program compatibilities and system requirements for aero. i dun think its reasonable to buy a hundred over bucks OS and go on to buy a high-end gfx card just to support the OS.

nomore

Reaction score
Ill go for Fedora Core 7 as an OS
Windows make it all JUST LOOK GOOD
half of the time you copy a file its Caculating copy time (its a lame translation, i have Hebrew XP)

NoMore

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
I am slowly learning the Unix brand ... I have Fedora Core 4, but may look into something else after I move and get my systems set back up.
Fedora is Linux, not Unix.
Edit:
well, i think linux distro is the best for security but the user interface is @#$% if you are a frequent windows user
That's because it's a completely different operating system. That doesn't mean the interface is worse; it's just different.

The Windows interface is "@#$%" if you're a frequent Linux user.
Edit:
My reasoning... in two words

safety and speed
Speed? Linux can be faster.

Safety? There are less viruses for Linux.

Last edited:

lee-pro

Reaction score
I had a hard time choosing, but of all the Linux Distros, I like Slackware. It has a simple and straightforward principle. Most of the configurations are in shell-script-like or XML files, and so take out all that mess of going through a UI, which I rather hate.

Plus, it has all the packages you need to produce a bare installation so that you can add in your preferred ones. Most other distros do not contain useful CLI tools.

I know that security-wise, it is below Fedora and RedHat, which features lots of security stuff, but it is still far better than Windows and has enough security tools to build a non-critical server.

Oh, and the reason why I like CLI often is that I could just simply type out the command, rather than point, click, more points and more clicks. Windows and all its automatic stuff is the reason why people don't even know how to write a hex boot table. If all that continues, everyone is going to become a computer illiterate. Point and click? That's all baby stuff.

darkstang

Reaction score
Strange how that first post started this discussion... Anyways.

It really depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're really into gaming, then you pretty much have to run Windows. Hopefully you're running XP, because Vista is still teething and crapping it's pants.

If you're trying to do a lot of work with graphic design then you should probably go with Mac. Yeah, you can do it with Windows too, but it's really annoying when it crashes.

For a server? RedHat if it was for somebody else. CentOS or Debian if it was for me, just depending on how I was feeling.

As far as everything else goes, Linux again. I prefer Ubuntu, some like Fedora, others like Suse... whatever. Any of those is better than windows in my opinion.

legendphil

Reaction score
hao!

I live in a country that generally uses Microsoft OS's.. I guess that's enough reason why I prefer Windows. I've seen Linux(i think) in a shop once, but I was confused with everything (even though it looked like windows somethin'). they're almost the same from how I see them. or is it just me living with the least options?

omghaxzs

Reaction score
As a cross-platform developer, I'd have to say that I like all three, Windows, OSX, and Linux (ubuntu is my preferred distro). Each one has their own little cool thing that makes them what they are. They all do the same thing, pretty much. Why do I use Windows (XP, Vista can go to hell)? Well, most games are developed for the Windows platform, which can be ported to other operating systems, however I feel that I should use the operating system that it was made for.

Viruses aren't a real problem to me. Of course, they're a huge threat for Windows users, however I'm generally careful with how I use my computer.

But getting back to the original point of my post, the best operating system should not really be influenced by its looks, but its performance and how it will get what you want done for you. This is why I would have to say Linux is the best operating system to get things done. I'm not going to get into a huge comparison between all three, but if you really want to get things done quick, Linux is the way to go. However, if you still want that warm fuzzy feeling from your good ol' MS box then stick with it (I know I do) =P

davejohns

Reaction score
Here is my input:

Looking at your spec, im gonna guess this is a gaming rig.

And thus so will suggest Windows Vista, doesnt really matter what flavour, but id go for Ultimate (i use it myself).

You dont actually say what type of GPU you are using, but im guessing its Direct x 10 compatible, so to get the best out of next generation gaming vista is a prerequisite. You could of course use WIndows XP with DirectX 9.0 L but id still prefer Vista.

I generally have a disdain for the age of old concept of windows sucks and linux rocks, which given my experience seems to be held by at least 90% of the PC using demopraphic. What make this more annoying is that out of that demographic at least 50% really have no clue what they are talking about, and seem to do it in an attempt to sound cutting edge or cool.

I personally like Windows and Linux. I currently use Vista Ultimate as my main machine for gaming and media etc etc, and i have an installation of VMware that allows me to use Linux on my vista desktop, i currently use Ubuntu's "Feisty Fawn".

I use it in that way because:

Windows deals with hardware more elegantly and efficiently than Linux.

Windows has a bit of an edge in terms of sharing network connections.

Vista has its search function integrated from the ground up through the shell and the OS.

With linux (Ubuntu) you get:

1) Email client (Thunderbird)
2) Open Office (can read and write in MS Office formats) for word processing and Spreadsheet work
3) Gtkpod to manage your iPod
4) Bash so you can administrate your laptop and SSH into your webserver
5) Bluetooth and WifFi management so that you can work wirelessly and manage your mobile
6) PHP, mysql and Apache so that you can use a laptop as a development/test webserver
7) Robustness against viruses
8) Reliability.

But you can also get this from Vista:

1) Thunderbird - just download it
2) Open Office - For windows as well
3) iTunes
4) Equivalent can be downloaded
5) Also availbale in windows
6) I use XAMPP for windows (PHP/MySQL/Apache etc)
7) Many free anti-virus and firewall's around, and the new windows free firewall plus the new UAC.
8) Ive had no problems using Windows.

Since ive been using Windows products (sometime since the late 80's) ive never had a virus, ive never been hacked, and its never crashed on me (not without my help at least)

Something people do forget is that a Linux system is as easliy exploitable as a windows machine when it isnt secured in the right way, and i do not say these things lightly. At least 75% of my workload in my last position was penetration testing.

Linux isnt immune to a virus as some think, and its unfortunate (if you decide to look at it that way) that the popularity if the OS usually plays some part in how exploitable it is. Im very confident that if Linux was used my 90& of the demographic as windows software is, there would be a whole lot more keeping the Linux developers busy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.