Best Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolyin

Reaction score
I habitually say Its Crap but after 2 months or BSOD I think im allowed to. I stil use windows but only because my parents use this PC aswell and due to most programs I use are for Windows.

erdos_suitcase

Reaction score
Best operating system ehh....

what a hot potato of a topic....

I suppose it depends on what you aim to do with it i suppose

Currently i use two different os systems ...for two different types of application

Like most people i have been suckered into the MS world and on several of the systems in my house i use XP professional....

This is used mainly by the kids...who seem to think that it is the only system in the world and for some strange reason seem to trust it implicitly (sp)....

I also use it myself most days, unfortunately as i write business apps for several city based companies.... again who have been caught in the MS trap.

For my own personal use i tend to stick to UBANTU , which is great...easy to use ...nice and secure and very fast......

If any one out there is thinking of switching to a non MS os i would reccomend taking a look at ubantu....it is available for free ....which makes it even better...and will run as a live cd...

great thread

davejohns

Reaction score
I habitually say Its Crap but after 2 months or BSOD I think im allowed to. I stil use windows but only because my parents use this PC aswell and due to most programs I use are for Windows.

Do you not think that maybe "You" are at fault? Ive been using it since beta without any BSOD's to speak of.
Edit:
Best operating system ehh....

what a hot potato of a topic....

I suppose it depends on what you aim to do with it i suppose

Currently i use two different os systems ...for two different types of application

Like most people i have been suckered into the MS world and on several of the systems in my house i use XP professional....

This is used mainly by the kids...who seem to think that it is the only system in the world and for some strange reason seem to trust it implicitly (sp)....

I also use it myself most days, unfortunately as i write business apps for several city based companies.... again who have been caught in the MS trap.

For my own personal use i tend to stick to UBANTU , which is great...easy to use ...nice and secure and very fast......

If any one out there is thinking of switching to a non MS os i would reccomend taking a look at ubantu....it is available for free ....which makes it even better...and will run as a live cd...

great thread

Its actually "Ubuntu";)

And you are right, it is good. I use it along side a VMware installation for various things:)

Last edited:

darkstang

Reaction score
So I lied, davejohns. I'm back. Please, enlighten us as to how we are at fault for windows failing us. What should we do differently?

Psoewish

Reaction score
I think MAC is the best out there, unfortunatly though it's too expensive for me so I use Windows XP. Getting a laptop for college tomorrow that'll have Vista though.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Me??? I use Ubuntu...and Windows XP for things that I can't run on Ubuntu.

Dazz

Reaction score
Like the look of this thread lol

First started out with Windows 95, fairly basic but came pre-loaded on the second hand PC I bought and all in all did the job OK for two months until I got a new printer and it could'nt cope at all.

Then got Windows 98, again OK for the old Intel P1 166Mhz, 2Gb Pc I had lol.

Then started to work at a company that used Windows 2000 and Windows NT4, in tech support!!!(how the hell I got the job I'll never know) and both were rubbish, the phones never stopped ringing.

Now running 2 PC's, one is Intel P4, 2.6Ghz, 256Meg Ram and the other is Intel P4, 2.6Ghz with 512Meg Ram. Both run on XP, both are stable and almost never get BSOD's (unless I've been tinkering with em lol) it seems that XP is very good but third party software upsets the very delicate balance.

All this history is to prove to you that I know what I am talking about and of all the systems I have used I still say the best is (drumroll please)

The OS (dunno what it was called) that was used in the old BBC-B Computers that I used at school, Basic maybe
10 PRINT "You are a Wally and have a Virus"
20 GOTO 10

Fantastic :lol::lol::lol:

clareto

Reaction score
LOL!!!. You've been in the business for years man! But Basic was not an OS but an instruction interpreter. That reminds me when I was making some desktop applications for my Macintosh plus, and people said me that I should forget it and follow the cool wave of ms-dos 6. people behaves weird...

Dazz

Reaction score
No way lol the amiga was way better (dunno what u would class the OS as tho) :biggrin:

By the way Clareto what was the OS for the old BBC-B's then lol, just wondering and reminising of simpler times

Last edited:

Pyker

Reaction score
I like any OS Microsoft does (since Windows XP).
But Linux is also cool and easy to use...

enixidfrag

Reaction score
wait does that mean you like Vista or the older Windows BIG difference there

and Dazz come on Atari you could make your own games :D i actualy odly enough have Mega ST2 right here on my computer desk just gotta get a monitor :D

Last edited:

shaunak

Reaction score
I have both Vista and Linux [fedora core 7] installed. I prefer using FC7 simply bcoz it dosnt tax my system so much.
But i am forced to use windows coz most applications are not available for linux and WINE will not run them correctly.

lionheart8

Reaction score
This is a very interesting thread.
I personally have used Win 98, Millenium, 2000, & XP Prof. I have come to get used to & like XP Prof. I have never had those problems some strongly anti-Windows users give the impression it is practically unusable. I spend mostly anything from 8 hours a day using the pc for different things, work, graphics, etc. The fact is after many years of the availability of Linux & other systems, Windows is it still on is it 90% of all PCs worldwide? Are all those users as *%&'X as some people suggest? It's certainly not perfect, but it is not as bad as is suggested.

I have tried Red Hat 9, Ubuntu & Suse Linux & prefer the latter, now version 10.2, which is much better than the 6.0 I started with. I have never liked Ubuntu, the interface looks quite lousy to me, though I read about all sorts of nice things about it.

If one has RAM of more than 512 MB, why not try another system by installing it via WMWare or similar programs, without getting rid of one's preferred system?

For someone having less RAM, or who may just find this option better & has enough RAM, a dual installation would be good, so that on booting, one can select whichever system fits what one wants to do at that time? That way, one can enjoy more than one world at a time, each with its advantages. ;)

Last edited:

Shishir

Reaction score
First of all, Why is this thread for? With only a pc config we are running a OS debate. Isn't that funny? To the poster, bro, you can edit one more time and make yourself reasonable. No offence bro.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Windows media center.

erdos_suitcase

Reaction score
Do you not think that maybe "You" are at fault? Ive been using it since beta without any BSOD's to speak of.
Edit:

Its actually "Ubuntu";)

And you are right, it is good. I use it along side a VMware installation for various things:)

Oops silly me .....a spelling error...thats what you get ...from working to hard and trying to write when you are tired.....:nuts:

or maybe i have started typing with a westcountry accent.....:biggrin:

NetoBochas

Reaction score
I've been using Windows all my life... but I like the way the mac's are designed... the appearance of them looks very good... well... I dont know... have never used a Mac... bout I would like.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.