Best Os for host game server

captainswain

Reaction score
hey guys, im wondering what the best os is for the vps i just bought. do any of them have a gui. i doubt it but wondering. so what would be the best os to host a ventrillo and a css server?

thanks,
swain

FreedomForAll

Reaction score
What are your choices?

If you are comfortable with command-line, mebbe Ubuntu Server, CentOS Server, or some flavor of BSD, although I don't know if SRCDS runs on CentOS or BSD. I have never used Ventrilo before, so I can't give any advice on that, but from what I've read, Ventrilo doesn't run on CentOS either.

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If it were me I would go with either ubuntu or centos mainly because tons of people are running those OSes, so if you have problems later on people will be able to help you. As for GUI none of the servers come with a GUI, but thats not to say you cant install Xorg and a gnome or whatever you want and run it over vnc ;) I am not aware of any OS that is best suited for game hosting, its mainly personal preference really.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
When I first setup my VPS I went with Ubuntu because I had that OS on my PC and was both familiar and comfortable with the OS. I quickly discovered that Ubuntu servers and Ubuntu desktop are slightly different animals and after a few days of frustration trying to get the Ubuntu server to work on my VPS I finally dumped it and started over with Centos, which I found to be extremely easy to setup and use. But, that is just my experience. Your mileage may vary. Also, I admit to having very little experience with game servers.

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess the point I was trying to make is that either centOS or Ubuntu will get you the best community support...because thats what people use.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess the point I was trying to make is that either centOS or Ubuntu will get you the best community support...because thats what people use.
And a very good point. I agree.

FreedomForAll

Reaction score
I am using CentOS on my VPS at vps247. I think thats it's extremely easy to use, for someone who's tinkered with *nix for over 5 years.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
I would recommend not using a GUI if you want to run a gameserver. Unlike a windows server, there is little use with a vnc setup, as most of the configuration is editing files. So having Xorg and some other window management(gnome and kde are the worse in terms of resource usage i think...) isn't going to help much.