What do you think the best quote is?

Mine: "When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
"Show me a sane man, and I will cure him for you" C.G. Jung

trebor

Reaction score
"Cause the house always wins. Play long enough, you never change the stakes. The house takes you. Unless, when that perfect hand comes along, you bet and you bet big, then you take the house."

Not sure why but I seem to always come back to this quote...

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Thank you. I tend to like the works of Dr. Jung.

Here is another :

Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness and the word happiness would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. C.G. Jung.

dwd2000

Reaction score
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live your life as if you'll die tomorrow. (unknown)

He who worries about calamities, suffers them twice. (unknown)

640K ought to be enough for anybody. (Bill Gates)

100% of the shots you don't take don't go in. (Wayne Gretzky)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Several favorites, all from movies:

Dirty Harry
Harry Callahan: ...being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Bounty Hunter: A man's got to do something for a living these days.
Josey Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

A Fistful of Dollars
Chico: Our orders are to make sure he does not die... but also to make sure he regrets the day he was born.

The Magnificent Seven
Villager: If he's the best with the gun and the knife, with whom does he compete?
Chris: Himself.

Vin: We deal in lead, friend.

The Gauntlet
Shockley: On a scale of one to ten, I'd give her a two, and that's only because I've never seen a one before.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
Devil may Cry
Mundus: Again I must face a Sparda. Strange fate, isn't it?
Dante: Strange and ironic that it will end the same way.

Trish: Dante!
Dante: Don't come any closer, you devil. You may look like my mother, but you'll never have her fire! You have no soul.

Metal gear Solid 2

Raiden: Still ticking, huh?
Vamp: Unfortunately, Hell had no vacancies.

Solid Snake: Legends are fiction, kid. Someone tells it, someone else remembers, everyone passes it on.

[Raiden is walking naked at the rendevous point with Snake]
Solid Snake: Amazing how you walk like that.

Raiden: Did you say "nerd"?
Colonel: Not "nerd" - "node."

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Deus Ex has some good ones. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Deus_Ex
"When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror."
"Bravery is not a function of firepower."
"Every war is the result of a difference of opinion. Maybe the biggest questions can only be answered by the greatest of conflicts."
"What good's an honest soldier if he can be ordered to behave like a terrorist?"
"Somehow the notion of unalienable liberty got lost. It's really become a question of what liberties will the state assign to individuals or rather, what liberties we will have the strength to cling to."
"Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason."
"You can't fight ideas with bullets."
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

tcmstr134

Reaction score
"The diffrence between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra"
-Jimmy Johnson (the NFL head coach)

"In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash."
-Douglas MacArthur

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

Anyone of those.

tittat

Reaction score
One caste,One religion,One God for One man..
-------by Sree Narayana Guru.

Hauzer

Reaction score
A poor man is not who is without a cent, but without a dream.

- Unknown (Forgot).

theafterthought

Reaction score
Woody Allen came out with some great lines, here are a few:

"As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree' - probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on."
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."
"Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon."

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Sam{Xako}

Reaction score
Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet - The man who is constantly in fear is every day condemned

- I always liked this quote, it was Publilius Syrus who came up with it I believe. I don't know if it's translated perfectly but I'm sure you get the general gist.

calvinvandermeer

Reaction score
My favourite quote was by Winston Churchill. In the house of commons, Lady Astor turns to him and says, "Sir, if you were my husband, I would put poison in your coffee". Right off the cuff he replies, "Madam, if you were my wife...I would drink it". BURN. And as Robin Williams would say "For those of you not in the know, the House of Commons is like Congress with a two-drink minimum - crazy place. Not only do you yell at the oppossition, but they yell back!" (He then gave an example, but it is too rude to type here. But you can find his standup stuff in 10 parts on Youtube).

pr0xx

Reaction score
"It's a strange world, some people get rich, others eat sh^& and die."
-Hunter S. Thompson.

I think this quote puts the harsh reality of life and the socio-economic structure of America in an utterly blunt perspective.

VPmase

Reaction score
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julius Ceasar

networker

Reaction score
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act

George Orwell

fakfak

Reaction score
oh, there are so so so many good quotes out there, i'm going to randomly pick couple that fancies me at the moment.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. - William Shakesphere

So shines a good deed in a weary world - William Shakesphere

Life has no meaning the moment you loose the illusion of being eternal. - Jean-Paul Sartre.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it. - Swedish Proverb.

Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile. - Franklin P. Jones.

At 20 years of age the will reigns; at 30 the wit; at 40 the judgement. - Benjamin Franklin

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Be as careful of the books you read, as of the company you keep; for your habits and character will be as much influenced by the former as by the latter. - Paxton Hood

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics - Benjamin Disraeli

Many a man who falls in love with a dimple make the mistake of marrying the whole girl - Evan Esar

Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another - Ambrose Bierce

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory - Paul Fix

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. - Susan Ertz

Never be afraid the laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century - Dame Edna Everage

Everything is in a state of flux, including the status quo - Robert Byrne

I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution - Wernher von Braun

Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so. Bertrand Russell

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club - Jack London

The prime purpose of eloquence is to keep other people from talking - Louis Vermeil

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be - Douglas Adams

The glory of great men should always be measured by the means they have used to acquire it - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so - Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate - Thomas Jones

Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious - Peter Ustinov

I know the list is a little bit long, but trust me when I say I've hand picked each one by going through my list one by one, and then shrunk it down again and again. Also, be glad my original quote collection was lost with a HD failure. Also, speaking of the last quote, there are great ones by Jack Handey.

ziddy1232

Reaction score
My personal favourite is;

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for theirs." - General George S. Patton