Best Web Design Progs?

etechrep69

Reaction score
Thus far I've fell in love with Photoshop / Dreamweaver CS3 but what I'm looking for is a program that falls right under Dreamweaver with both options of HTML and designer view. Something a little more simple, I use Komodo Edit just for my portable editor.

Any suggestions?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
My advice:

Never use a WYSIWYG editor for ANYTHING except for maybe blog posts. xD

Using a wysiwyg editor for coding websites is horrible practice, and can lead to bad code, browser dis-functionality, and bad taste in your peers mouths. I can understand wanting to see the output of your code, but that can be achieved simply by developing locally and saving when you need to see if something works.

Alternatively, you can use NetBeans IDE, which has support for PHP (as well as HTML and CSS). The CSS view even has a preview where you can see what your CSS might look like (Again, better than dreamweaver trying to tell you what you're going to see, and then being upset when you load it in an actual browser and seeing it's horribly deformed)

Me, this is what I use when I'm coding/designing:

NetBeans IDE, Programmer's Notepad, Photoshop, Calculator (not on the pc, in my hand), Google Chrome, Firefox (for firebug).

That's it. I always debug as I go, and even then I don't debug till it's all done, meaning I code all the HTML, and ALL the CSS, and then I debug from there. It's actually a great productivity tool. Because then, if something is not right or you can't complete something, it's easy to move on and fix the next thing, rather than having to go back and try to regain your train of thought.

fretwizz

Reaction score
It took me awhile to get used to not looking at the work in WYSIWYG but I eventually did. I'll never look back;)

etechrep69

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, I'll try that prog out though I did recently upgrade to CS5 and it's rocking. I know the "deformed" look that your talking about when coding that's because dw has to be saved and refreshed. I test all pages and coding in ie, google & firefox. (think google is missing alot of plug-ins, kinda sucks) but yeah.

Another question of mine would be what's really the typical resolution? I mean I have a 17inch flat LCD monitor which I believe around 2011 should be somewhat lower then standard but still.. wouldn't 1280x1024 be what most users set their res as? common no?