Bing

neteater

Reaction score
i am really excited about bing because personally i never supports the monoply of anyone either on net or in actual world,and sorry for duplicate post but i was really happy when i receive a mail from my friend stating that bing is launching next week,i think we all enjoy bing as well google coz as i thought bing use different technique than google for page indexing am i right

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
No, but it does for its display and organization. Bing will promote "trusted" sites, and google does not. I am also happy that for once Microsoft is not trying to run someone out of business.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I was wrong. 8 versions of Vista:

Vista Starter Edition **Only available in developing countries
Vista Home Basic
Vista Home Premium
Vista Business
Vista Enterprise
Vista Ultimate
Vista Business Embedded
Vista Ultimate Embedded

There are also "K", "N", and "KN" versions of some of these. So yeah, Microsoft likes to saturate the market :p

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I was wrong. 8 versions of Vista:

Vista Starter Edition **Only available in developing countries
Vista Home Basic
Vista Home Premium
Vista Business
Vista Enterprise
Vista Ultimate
Vista Business Embedded
Vista Ultimate Embedded

There are also "K", "N", and "KN" versions of some of these. So yeah, Microsoft likes to saturate the market :p
wow. don't they just need one kind of windows? and they don't need any versions of vista.:lol:
Edit:
i really hate the name bing, it sounds awkward and out of place.
exactly, it has an odd dinggy or clanggy sound to it. I like Google much better. But who knows, maybe bing will out perform it's name?:dunno:

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, bing.com is live now. And I'm not impressed. Any one who is?

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I like it actually. It's got some useful features with searching for news and the image search is really nice.

fguy64

Reaction score
wow. don't they just need one kind of windows? and they don't need any versions of vista.:lol:
Edit:

exactly, it has an odd dinggy or clanggy sound to it. I like Google much better. But who knows, maybe bing will out perform it's name?:dunno:

I'm with you ichwar, everything my friends have told me about Vista makes me think of Windows Me. What a godawful pile of crap that was.

Windows 98 2nd. edition, considering it's time, just might be the best job Microsoft has ever done on an o/s.

sorry if I'm going off topic here.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
This is, after all, off topic ;)

I think it's alright. I'd like it better if it wasn't named "bing"

fguy64

Reaction score
This is, after all, off topic ;)

I think it's alright. I'd like it better if it wasn't named "bing"

Now that you mention it, I agree. It's silly and juvenile. Funny thing is, if it wasn't for the name "google", some genius at Microsoft would probably never have thought of the name "bing". I can just see a bunch of MS honchos having a brainstorming session in the boardroom. Ging? Gong? Hung, Wang? nah how about ding? hmm... Xing? Zing? :nuts:

Hauzer

Reaction score
I agree that Bing is an awkward name, but now that I recall Bill Gates is no longer in control of Microsoft (since he sold it) it isn't that bad. The new owners must of thought of that idea and the concept of the new search engine.

Overall fairness, it's not as good as I expected it. Even though it's in beta, the videos show better things than that. It links to CIAO instead of their own results when shopping.

tittat

Reaction score
Bing is Live now, but too bad am not indexed yet.Is there any add url link available?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
mine was indexed too. I'm guessing they just pull all their info from live.com so bing is nothing but live.com with fancier graphics.

zen-r

Reaction score
Wow. Since my last post here, near the start of this thread, I was amazed to see you were all still discussing this product after all this time. At least now it has been released & there is actually something to review!

I was rather cynical about the idea of this new search engine for a few main reasons;

Firstly, if it's produced by the same Micro$oft team who came up with their Live Search, it bound to be a waste of time. That engine was hopeless at finding anything, & had clunky facilities. Even after Micro$oft poured money in to bribing people to use it (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/13/microsoft_search_bribe_spin/) Live Search still had very few genuine users.

Secondly, whilst the concept of organised results ("decision engine" Lol) at first seems like it might be a good one, for me the facility doesn't provide anything that I can't already achieve better by using Advanced, filtered search in Google. In fact, I'm sceptical that this is more likely going to be used as a method by Micro$oft to show us the selected results & adverts that it wants to. And don't forget that it owns Ciao, which is displayed for all your Shopping search results.

So, I've given Bing a good testing out now, & here's what I've found so far ;

What's with the background photo? It's all very nice but it'll just waste my & their bandwidth.

In the Extras, Preferences menu, the location it displays me as being at is nowhere near my actual location, & I've got a genuine, fairly static IP address (how close is the result for you?)

Bing is labelled as "Beta" - just like most Google products (Gmail is still in Beta after ~5 years!) Perhaps they think this'll make them more like Google?!

Here's my standard search engine quality indicator test :

--If I search for the best servicing & installation company in the South West of the UK ;) using the string "video and audio installs plymouth" in Google.com it appears as about the 14th result (in Google.co.uk it appears at the top)

--However, if I do the same search in Bing, it doesn't appear at all!

The name is "Bing" - who cares. Call it want they want, that doesn't bother me.
The product is by Micro$oft - big :thumbsdow .

That said, I think any competition with Google's monopoly can only be a good thing, & I hope that after (lots of) further development & refinement by Micro$oft, Bing might actually be occasionally useful.

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback.

Thanks.​

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I like simple thing, that's why I use google. I don't think I can relay on Micro$oft to tell me what's important. They are good at guessing wrong and I'm more then happy with how google displays my search results. And another thing, when Micro$oft is "suggesting" something they certainly mean $$$$ one more reason to stick to google :thefinger

You are right about name. I mean Bing :lol::lol::lol::lol: man that made me laugh.

By the way my site is indexed too ... like that's even important :dunno:

EDIT:
But I kind a like that right side hint box that displays some more info about the page.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I just realized why they called it bing. They were trying to get something that sounded like BANG. :biggrin:
Seriously, go to bing.com and you'll see, in the lower left corner of the page, there is a link to an explanation of how bing was created. The text in that link reads: Theory of the Big Bing. :lol:
Also, in the upper right corner, there's another link that reads: Live search is evolving. Welcome to Bing. :lol::lol::lol:

I mean, really, though I don't agree with the big bang theory or macroevolution, I love the humor! Don't you?

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow, microsoft is really getting serious about advertising.