Blogging?

focus

Reaction score
If you were gonna blog, do you think its better to use a bloggin site like wordpress? or jus design you website as a bloggin site?

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're creating a blog, I highly recommend using a CMS/blogging software like WordPress. You can design a website from scratch but blogging using static HTML files is quite tedious especially when you accumulate a lot of posts.

WordPress and other software just makes blogging much easier and packs in tons of useful features without any programming experience required. There are also thousands of themes available and you can always design your own.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Yes using wordpress/joomla/drupal is better than static site, it is called reusing the code and all these softwares are free and open source and even support is free.

frankfriend

Reaction score
It's certainly going to be much faster, and probably more effective to use Wordpress etc. That way you can concentrate on the content, and not on designing something as good as Wrodpress, which might take you an hour or two!

Be ready to deal with blog spammers, no great cause for alarm, just set things up so you approve all messages before they are posted.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you need to go from point A to point B, would you take a walk or drive to it?

krofunk

Reaction score
for the best of both worlds I would recommend TextPattern rather than word press, it gives you complete control of the blogs appearance and its forms + it is still free and open source!

debfree10

Reaction score
It depends on you. If you are an addicted blogger and cannot even think about spending a day without posting a single thread, I think you should have a dedicated blogging platform. But if you just want to test your writing skills, a free wordpress account or blogspot account is sufficient for you.

letapk

Reaction score
If you were gonna blog, do you think its better to use a bloggin site like wordpress? or jus design you website as a bloggin site?

Just blogging with a series of posts one after another? Use a blogging site instead of creating your own website.
Pros: Less painful, immediate visibility. No hassles.
Cons: The site looks more or less the same as all the others.

If you want to do more than just blog, and create a site around some specific subject with downloadable content, then creating your own website may be the way to go.
Pros: Its enjoyable if you like this sort of thing. Installing WP (or Joomla or something similar), creating a database and pages, linking them in a menu structure, selecting a nice theme. The site can be made to stand out in the crowd.
Cons: Somewhat painful. Takes time to create and get on-line. Some hosts have restrictions on certain types of files.

K. Patel
http://kpatel.x10hosting.com

threedee

Reaction score
It all boils down to what the purpose of your blog will be and what your intention for putting up the blog is. If you need it to do more than just posting entries (interactive, multi-user site, among others) then using CMS that supports plugins will greatly help.

Most blogging websites will wrap you in limitations which could hinder you from customizing your site with full control, but if you do not mind this and you simply want to scribble down posts with nothing else to worry, then opting for it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

shawntc

Reaction score
I personally use Google's blogging service, Blogger/Blogspot. Does the trick for me, and integrates easily with my Gmail account.