Blogs on x10hosting

lydia09

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm a complete beginner in the world of blogs, but I've been thinking about starting one on my web site, because it sounds like a good way to connect to people. I've been doing some Googling about them, and it seems like you need some special software or something to make one. Does x10hosting support whatever we need for them?

And this is going to sound really silly, but I still can't exactly pin down what a blog actually is. Is it just something like a normal web page, where you post updates, or does it have to have an index and commenting ability?

If anyone could clear this up for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lydia

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Yup, you can host a blog on x10.

A blog (a portmanteau of the term "web log")[1] is a type of website or part of a website. Blogs are usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

I would recommend wordpress, as it is by far the most user friendly one out there. And I think it's the best anyway :)

~Callum

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't "need" special software or anything like that.

In essence, a "blog" is short for "web-log", it's essentially a diary on the internet. It can be anything from sharing recipes, stories, opinions, news, to something like gizmodo, or lifehacker, that are HUGE blogs that are updated constantly, and literally are businesses and jobs for people.

I personally use my blog for everything. I haven't posted in a while, and I really should, but I talk about updates to my website, my web designing, politics, things that are going on in my life, etc. Even if no one is really listening (reading), it's still nice to kind of get your thoughts out there. And hey, if you're good at it, maybe someone will recognize your talent, whether it be in writing, or whatever you write about, and offer you jobs!

Back to the software, again, a blog can be as simple or as complex as you want. There's all sorts of software out there, most (if not all) is supported by x10hosting. It's usually driven by PHP and MySQL, though other programming languages can come into play. Wordpress, b2evolution, Moveable Type, and even Content Management Systems like Joomla, Drupal, and Website Baker, as well as MANY more blog systems and content management systems.

Even something as simple as CutePHP's CuteNews, as a flat-file database system that you can include on any given page, and make your own theme for a website. Almost every solution you find online for blogging is usually open-source, and has tons of skins, plugins, addons, and themes you can use, or make your own (if you feel so inclined).

The point is, it's your choice what you want to do for a blog, and it's your choice which software you want to use. Most are highly customizable and you can usually make them do whatever it is you want to do, and you can always hire someone to help you (or just ask in these forums here, we're all happy to help). But they're usually very user-friendly, and don't require a heck of a lot of know-how to install. (I don't recommend using Fantastico or something like that from cPanel, but you can if you want.)

Feel free to contact me on the forums here, or by email (hanlon.neil[at]gmail.com) if you need any help or any more information (or you can ask in this topic. :))

I hope this helped.

lydia09

Reaction score
Thank you both, that makes things a lot clearer for me. I always thought blogs were big complex things.
Thanks again,
Lydia