Blue Screen of FREAKING DEATH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin

New Member
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ok I'm trying to upload my files to my site, but I keep getting the F$^&*&* blue screen of death after I start to upload folder/files and its getting really annoying. Does anyone know why this is happening and can help me? Any help would be appreciated greatly.
 

James

Banned
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
are u using cpanels file transfer or a ftp client?
 

Spartan Erik

Retired
Messages
6,764
Reaction score
0
Points
0
well assuming you're using FTP instead of cpanel upload, its likely that you have some kind of software error

wow a BSOD in windows xp.. honestly, ive only seen one in my entire life i dont see how people complain about xp being buggy..

the most numerous ive seen were in win98's and winME's
 

bigguy

Retired
Messages
10,984
Reaction score
10
Points
38
I moved this into the tech forum as its more to do wih computers.

EDIT: what other programs do you have running in the background ? (not in your task bar).Press ctrl + Alt+ delete and check processes and applications and start to turn things off one by one and try again. it might be a long process but you will find the problem. If you are using xp and if it is pro right click on your computer icon and go to manage, check out the error logs, that might give you a hint. Also what anti-virus and ftp program are you running.
 
Last edited:

moose

New Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
0
Points
0
When computers get old they have symptoms like that.

Maybe more RAM?

If you can, post what it says when you get the BSOD since that'll probably help a lot..
 

bigguy

Retired
Messages
10,984
Reaction score
10
Points
38
Before you can post it you have to be able to see it. Xp automatically reboots when bsod shows up. Open your system properties, click the advanced tab and then the settings button under startup and recovery. Uncheck 'Automatically Restart' and OK all of the open windows. Next time a stop error is generated you should be able to see it now. If you are able to see it before you do this then it is possible you have a virus, there was one released last year that gives a bsod in xp, Next time you see it try pressing the escape key and see if it stop rebooting and leaves you in windows.
 
Last edited:

James

Banned
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
If you want it working that bad, and you dont want to waste time trying to fix it. Just try reformating the whole thing, it will only take a hour and everything will be like new.
(I format my pc every 2 months or so, saves spending hours scanning for virus and defragmenting etc)

cya
 

bigguy

Retired
Messages
10,984
Reaction score
10
Points
38
Thats just a quick answer. Why not learn how to fix the problem ?
 

James

Banned
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Geoff said:
Thats just a quick answer. Why not learn how to fix the problem ?

I normally fix the problem to. This is just a easy way for him
 

moose

New Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The_End said:
If you want it working that bad, and you dont want to waste time trying to fix it. Just try reformating the whole thing, it will only take a hour and everything will be like new.
(I format my pc every 2 months or so, saves spending hours scanning for virus and defragmenting etc)

cya

Very smart thing to do, I do the same, except I go for like.. 4 months usually.

I think that that mostly is the best thing to do. But yes, once you get to read the error message, post it here.
 
N

Nathan

Guest
You can either:

A) Buy a Mac.

B) Update all your video, audio and NIC drivers. Flash your BIOS, flash all of your other drives. Then only hope it works.

Or

C) Use Linux.


Edit: By the way, I haven't been forced to reformat and I haven't seen a BSoD on my desktop in 4 years and 1 year on my laptop. (Laptop is one year old.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

James

Banned
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Like i said formating is the trick.
Remember to backup though :)

Keep in mind it may be pretty easy to fix though. Do a driver update.
Pm me for the program (it scans and updates automaticly)
Then google anything else that you find wrong (e.g. the error code your getting, if you are getting one)

cya
 

Chris S

Retired
Messages
2,055
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Ok, since only a few people have given good suggestions.

Here is a small list of things to check.

1. What FTP Program
2. What is the error being displayed
3. Some general Computer specs.
4. Can you remember when this started and what changed right before it started?
 
B

Brandon

Guest
Dewayne said:
You can either:

A) Buy a Mac.

B) Update all your video, audio and NIC drivers. Flash your BIOS, flash all of your other drives. Then only hope it works.

Or

C) Use Linux.


Edit: By the way, I haven't been forced to reformat and I haven't seen a BSoD on my desktop in 4 years and 1 year on my laptop. (Laptop is one year old.)

OR

D) Run both Windows AND Slackware Linux. (What I Do)
 

Colin

New Member
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
0
Points
0
To clear things up:

I am running:
XP
using a restricted account
FTP Program: Filezilla, also tried smart ftp but same time

I think it maybe becuse the program didn't install properly but I'm unsure.

EDIT:: When I have time I'll read through all of your posts.​

EDIT # 2:
ram: 512
hard drive: 120
cpu: amd anthlon 3700 (i think)
xp: home edition

I think its because I'm a restricted user and the program wasn't installed properly. When I get the chance I'll go onto admin and re install
 
Last edited:

Chris S

Retired
Messages
2,055
Reaction score
1
Points
38
hyper89 said:
To clear things up:

I am running:
XP
using a restricted account
FTP Program: Filezilla, also tried smart ftp but same time

I think it maybe becuse the program didn't install properly but I'm unsure.

EDIT:: When I have time I'll read through all of your posts.​

EDIT # 2:
ram: 512
hard drive: 120
cpu: amd anthlon 3700 (i think)
xp: home edition

I think its because I'm a restricted user and the program wasn't installed properly. When I get the chance I'll go onto admin and re install



try reinstalling it or getting someone with an admin account install it
 

Spartan Erik

Retired
Messages
6,764
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The_End said:
If you want it working that bad, and you dont want to waste time trying to fix it. Just try reformating the whole thing, it will only take a hour and everything will be like new.
(I format my pc every 2 months or so, saves spending hours scanning for virus and defragmenting etc)

cya

lol, well if you knew anything about the new breed of virus writers, they're working on infecting the flash memory that is used by the BIOS, even before windows boots a virus will be executed

they're getting pretty clever nowadays

if such a virus outbreak affecting the BIOS occurs the only solution would be to get a new mobd or something, unless antivirus manufacturers can make an antivirus thatll operate on the minimal flash memory BIOS's require.. (yeah, right)

so in the end reformatting wont work :D

anyway back on topic, try to do what geoff said, and tell us the result if/when it occurs again
 
N

Nathan

Guest
Wow sentinent, at first you sounded clever with the whole virus in the flash memory of the motherboard.... Too bad taking out the battery and putting it back in will clear the memory of the motherboard - without a need to reflash the motherboard.
 

James

Banned
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ha ha that will only clear cosmos, which is all your settings back to defualt.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top