C++, PHP, Assembly, Delphi, Java e.t.c Which is most powerful?

gspear

Reaction score
In Assembler u got to write a lot of code, but it is still a powerful programming language...

We can say that C++ is the "evolution" of Java...

Umm, and we'd be incredibly wrong, since C++ is 12 years older than Java.

Royalty Games

Reaction score
I depends what you are doing. PHP and java are for the web while C++, assembly and delphi are for desktop applications. You cant really compare them. but if i had to vote c++ is better because you can do pretty much anything with it and it is more supported.

iholla

Reaction score
Iam all for Assembly!! Since assembly directly works in machine language, there are tons of manipulations you can do from the base itself. Even languages like c++ interprete their code to assembly on compilation when building an executable.

Assembly rocks!!!

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Assembly rules over them all. I prefer C over C++, as C is used to make some Linux distros. I love PHP but hate Java. Isn't Delphi based on Object Pascal?

deadimp

Reaction score
It's all purely subjective, depends on your situation, your context of use, and [insert other ways of saying the same thing].

I see people here stating that "since C can be used for lots of stuff, like writing viruses and stuff, it is the most powerful!" Well, you can use almost any programming to do some required task. If you can connect it some sort of external library, have it interface with something else, chances are you can do anything. Look at Game Maker, for instance. You have the ability to interface with DLL's, allowing you to do essentially do anything. Does that make GML more powerful than the rest?

The main point in power is more or less control. The more control you have, the more power you have (an obvious point). Assembly will clearly be seen as the most powerful from this standpoint because of its definition: it is a low-level language. That is what it is meant for. It gets into the nitty-gritty of the architecture.

Another point in power might be ease of use, what amount of control you can accomplish in a certain amount of work or effort. If you can get refined and deep control through a high-level language, chances are it will be seen as 'more powerful'.
That can be seen as the reason why C, C++, Java, C#, Python, Perl, Bash, PHP, Erlang, D, etc. are potentially powerful languages. They are portable, meaning that there's less effort in garnering control over different systems, and all of them have their 'syntatic sugars' which makes it even easier from that point.

I've dealt with a few languages, mainly C++, PHP, GML, Visual Basic (ugh), Java, and JavaScript. To be honest I'll say that I like C++ the most and find it 'the most powerful' with its (mostly) intuitive design. However, it has its myriad of pitfalls that bumps it down.

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
C, C++, Java are the best in my opinion.

sunils

Reaction score
I will say all of them are powerful in their own sense.
But according to the ease of usage i would say assembly and delphi, are outdated and people often use c,c++, java and php

javayathzee

Reaction score
My personal oppinion is that Java is the best, simply because I know it the best. C++ is good to but the others can't really be compared. PHP and JavaScript are both web based, and assemply is more form computer architecture than regular programing. You'll have to really decide what you are trying to do and what kind of environment you want to work in. that will help you pick a language.

eliasr

Reaction score
Depends on what you do.

C++ give flexibility, low level access, big struture, high performance, and soon [mmm... months] come the new C++ standard, so, long live to the king.

Xemnas

Reaction score
Assembly is the most powerful, but is very tough to learn. Much more so than C++, which is probably the next most powerful. After that is C, which I'm trying to learn now (but I'm putting it off because of x10, Yu-Gi-Oh!, a chess tournament on Friday etc), which is used to write most operating systems (including Windows to an extent).

sunils

Reaction score
Yes C and c++ is human understandable and a powerful language to develop anything.
Assembly is also the powerful, but its hard to learn it and its hard to debug it when the bugs creeps your code.

excid3

Reaction score
PYTHON!!!!

C++ is also really good, especially if partnered with Qt libraries to give it a cross platform GUI ;)

paul.sijpkes

Reaction score
I think the language that is the most powerful for you is the one that is going to be of most use to you and your business or situation. It all has to do with the application of the language.

If you want a program to run on mostly all platforms, use Java or ANSI C.
If you want to write an OS or a programming language use assembler and probably C (all depends on how often you want to reinvent the wheel). If you want to do web development, which is what I do. I prefer a PHP/Flash combination and do all my dev on a linux box.

Patrick

Reaction score
I believe C++ is a very powerful languages, as a lot of platforms use it, and PHP is also a great language with syntax similar to C++. My favorite however would have to be C++, Assembly is also a great language but it is a lot harder to do some things in ASM than it is to do in C++. You can also do inline ASM in C++...

iholla

Reaction score
I agree with the web developers. PHP does have a way with the web. With PHP you can deliver really powerful websites. I do not think there exists a popular website that isnt written in PHP...oops, this begs the question, PHP or ASP?

dpogary

Reaction score
i think it would be PHP and C++....Perl is also very powerful programming languages

Kix seems to have some cool features for a windows basic kinda upgrade

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Re: What do y'all know about assembly?

I see a lot of us up in here believe that c or c++ or its other cousin c# are the most powerful languages. I DISAGREE!!! NO NO NO! He he.

You all have it 'not totally wrong'(but are headed that side..if you get me, he he)...C and its later derivations/hybrids are really strong fellas. They more or so remind me of good looking lean and muscled beach bums. That is, they have a user friendly GUI, are easy to work with and do not require the user to have highly intellectual conversations with them. Its all about; if(( i came to the beach) && (forgot to wear my pants)){ please dont call my mom; }

Assembler however, is the muscle by which the pc runs. Its the Ronnie Colman kind of will, determination and power...if you may. It requires a deeper understanding of what you are doing and will go the extra mile while the 'beach bums' are panting and waiting for 'Bill' to upgrade their libraries. Assembler uses minimal system resources and will always say; MOV beachBum, kindergaten

For the same reason, the average user will work with xp/vista osx while the power user would prefer a unix based platform.

So, c++ good!
but, assembly goodestest!
C++ is the best language, the most flexible and powerful. Assembly is good also, but it cannot compare.
PHP is the best with websites, and PHP beats ASP hands down. ASP may easier to learn, but PHP is more powerful (and free).