C++, PHP, Assembly, Delphi, Java e.t.c Which is most powerful?

TarouSensei

Reaction score
Having worked in PHP, Java, Python, C, and to a much lesser extent Assembly, I would have to say that while Assembly is very powerful, I find it too hard to use for it to be viable in a production environment. C is next on power, since "everything" has C at it's core. Python is almost a good as C, since it is built off C, it can theoretically do anything C can, just slower. PHP and Java are in a virtual tie, at least to the extent I have used them. Power isn't everything though, as it takes a good balance of usability and performance to make a good language. To that end, many would consider Java to rule supreme, but personally I feel C does a much better job. I will admit that part of that comes from the pain I went through managing "strings" in C when I took my class on it earlier this school year. I learned it through much hard work, and I don't want to just leave it behind.

All in all, for general purpose programming, Java and C are essentially tied.

kkenny

Reaction score
Having worked in PHP, Java, Python, C, and to a much lesser extent Assembly, I would have to say that while Assembly is very powerful, I find it too hard to use for it to be viable in a production environment. C is next on power, since "everything" has C at it's core. Python is almost a good as C, since it is built off C, it can theoretically do anything C can, just slower. PHP and Java are in a virtual tie, at least to the extent I have used them. Power isn't everything though, as it takes a good balance of usability and performance to make a good language. To that end, many would consider Java to rule supreme, but personally I feel C does a much better job. I will admit that part of that comes from the pain I went through managing "strings" in C when I took my class on it earlier this school year. I learned it through much hard work, and I don't want to just leave it behind.

All in all, for general purpose programming, Java and C are essentially tied.

The difference between PHP and JAva, is PHP is server side scripts, and Java is client side scripts. People can steal Java scripts, but it's harder to steal php scripts.