Can an add-on domain do this?

ThePBgod

Reaction score
So I've been reading up on the differences between add-on, parked, and sub domains. All of what I read makes sense. The only thing is, everything I've noticed about add-on domains, is that in their examples. they make it seem like it links back to the original website, but doesn't let the domain change.

Now that is fine, if that's how I wanted it to work. But I'm wondering if if and how can Add-ons do this. I have one host. I want to host a blog, e-commerce site, and a library database(for examples). None of them are interrelated in any form. How can I use add-on domains to do this? They will have their own domain, databases, content, everything. Will when I set up an add-on domain, will a new directory(in cpanel) appear that I can essentially put in the websites files, for a CMS, or whatever is actualyl needed??

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
you would use a sub domain for that. the sub domains on x10 are wildcard redircects.

that just means that /home/yourname/public_html/somefolder/ is the directory of somefolder.yoursite.com

ThePBgod

Reaction score
I don't want to use subdomains as that defeats the entire purpose of having 3 websites appearing as if they are of their own entity. A sub-domain will show the original domain name. There has to be another way. As people who do websites for people all have their own unique name. Sure all the data is from that one host set up. The the URL's appear as their own.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
kk. i got it. what you need to do is create an addon domain, then make a subdomain off of the addon domain. that shuold make the addon redirect to another folder. not sure though. i dont see why you cant just use the same domain.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
An add-on domain is exactly what it's title says. An add-on domain meaning that you add it on top of what you already have.
So lets say you owned example.com.
You would change the nameservers to ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com , wait a couple of days then add example.com through cPanel. (Your domain plus the :2082 part)
It will be a folder and a subdomain of your main domain. So if your main domain was example.x10hosting.com, you would have
example.example.x10hosting.com and example.x10hosting.com/example.com/ and example.com which would all be the same thing. With add-on domains, a folder (subdomain configured) is placed in your root directory. You may use your domain through that folder.
I hope that makes sense to you. If it doesn't, don't be afraid to ask. :)

rockee

Reaction score
If I understand your needs correctly maybe the best configuration for you would be to change your X10 Hosting's free sub-domain to one of your owned domains as outlined in this Tutorial:
Change X10 Sub-Domain to Your Owned Domain

Then add-on your other owned domains to your now main owned X10 hosted domain.

This process will create the directories (folders) for all your addon-domains which can contain their own different content and will be accessible by their own domain name URI - which will not change when other pages are selected by your visitors.

BTW - you are not restricted to naming your add-on domains folders to the name in the URI as you are with a sub-domain - the directories of your add-on domain in the public_html folder can be named as you like.

After making the above changes to your main domain in X10 AMP, as outlined in the Tutorial, then following example will give you 3 different web sites with their own separate address and content - that will not change when a different web page is requested:

Main X10 Hosting domain:
owneddomain1.com
URI:http://owneddomain.com/
Folder:/public_html

Add-on domain 1
owneddomain2.com
URI:http://owneddomain2.com
Folder:/public_html/site2

Add-on domain 2
owneddomain3.com
URI:http://owneddmain3.com
Folder:/public_html/site3

Each add-on domain to your main domain uses 1 add-on domain plus 1 sub-domain from your cPanel allocation - check out the stats panel in cPanel.

After changing your X10 free sub-domain to your owned domain the add-on domains and the folders they will use are configured/created using the facility in cPanel.

Remember to change the NameServer's for each owned domain, to X10's NS1 and NS2, at your domain name registrar and allow time for all your changes to propagate the Internet - usually this will be around 24 hours.

There is also some latency when you change from the X10 Hosting free sub-domain to your owned domain to allow the change scripts to re-configure the X10's Server.

Regards,
Rocky

ThePBgod

Reaction score
Edit- I typed this before Rockee's last post

Sorta makes sense. heh

The best I can do is explain exactly what I'm trying to do.

I want to create 3 different unique websites, that do not correlate with each other. "buyit.com", "pcsforyou.com", and "dogtips.com". Each website has no relation to each other. Each website is build for 3 different people. They want their own domain name, that doesn't relate to some "sub domain" of a main website. If they type in "dogtips.com" it takes them to their main page. And any and all links they follow from that say will display "dogtips.com/newtips/index.html" for example. Same for the other websites as well. They'll have their own domains, and directories. It would not be acceptable in any way, to have a subdomain being used as dogtips.mysite.com.

So I guess what it boils down to is...is this possible? If so, how? If not, am I forced to go and get hosting individually, per website needed? The latter of the 2 seems odd to me as that seems like a lot more hassle than is really required.

Hopefully I'm being clear. if not just ask.
Edit:
After reading what you wrote, Rockee. That seems to be what I'm looking for. The big question now is. What happens when they follow links from the websites that take them to other parts of their respective website? Will the URL displayed in their browser, display correctly?

I'll use your examples.

Will www.owneddomain2.com when following links on the site, keep that display? For example I want to see the contact us page.

Technically its located at "public_html/site2/contactus.html" But I want the browser to display "owneddomain2.com/contactus.html". And NOT display "owneddomain.com/site2/contactus.html"

Last edited:

rockee

Reaction score
There is no other way of doing what you want other than as I have outlined above - and it is not really difficult to do once you get a handle on it.

Remember you are permitted only one account at X10 and my post above overcomes the limitations of only hosting one domain - you can do exactly what you have in mind using the above method.

Regards,
Rocky

Edit.
Yes you will have 3 separate domains with their own content and their own pages will not show any other domain name but their own.

Each domain will have it's own FTP, 5 e-mail address and web stats also - another plus for my method.
Rocky

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
yall make me feel stupid... :D

ThePBgod

Reaction score
Well Rockee. If what you say, does all I need. Thanks! I will give it a shot here soon and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!!
Edit:
Just wondering. This will also allow me to run 3 separate CMS's as well? For instance Drupal on one, Joomla on another, and then nothing on the 3rd?

Last edited:

rockee

Reaction score
I see no problems with having whatever content in your 3 domains you choose - you even get 3 MySql databases to play with, but I suggest in the domain with no content you at least add your own index.html file as a simple method of preventing directory snooping.

Keep an eye out for the size that these database may reach as I believe there are size limitations - phpMyAdmin is the key to maintaining your databases.

Also keep within your account quotas at all times to prevent your site's being suspended or whatever the admin does for over use.

So in summary, if you keep all your content within the hosting account limits and of course, you login to the forums at least once every 2 weeks you should be set to do pretty much as you please - within the TOS of course.

I have successfully configured my hosting account with 2 individual domains in the manner I posted above and everything is working just fine - so with 3 domains it still should not present you any issues for what you need to do, except perhaps for size constraints.

BTW, if you use Fantasico to install your CMS scripts and you have issues then I suggest you install them manually.

Also I may have been incorrect with the number of e-mail address I gave you as when I look at my cPanel I only see 5 in total for those 2 domains hosted.

Regards and good luck with it,
Rocky

ThePBgod

Reaction score
Thanks!

Really the 3 web pages and all of this was just an example to be sure it can be done. A good friend may possibly need a website for his business, and if I can lend a hand, I will. And preventing him from having to get involved as much as possible will also really help. Other than what he likes site wise.

I'm glad you mentions that all directories has an index.html, to prevent snooping. Now, is there a way around that? Lets say that in one of my directories, I have a ton of photo's from a vacation I was on. Now I have an index.html page set up to prevent just anyone getting to view those files. Now I'm at my family's place for the holidays or something, and would like to show them some of the photo's. But I d am unable to access though FTP(no software to do it) or any form, to see the photos. And I don't know the names, true names of them, to even try and pull them up individually. Is there a way around that, or no? I'll need to access it via FTP or though cpanel?
Edit:
Another note I'd like to at least ask about. What is a good source for learning about security. more specifically administrative security. Like controlling read and write access to parts of the directories. Setting databases up certain ways to prevent somethign bad from happening. Prevent or helping prevent hacks, attack, spam, bots, and the like.

edit: Tried giving you rep. As your posts are very informative but its telling to to spread the love. Maybe next time!

Last edited:

rockee

Reaction score
In cPanel there is a feature to secure a directory in the web root (/public_html) so only those with a user/password can read the files - Password Protect Directories.

You would not include an index.html file in this case and simply rely on a directory listing, which after entering your password, you would be able to see all the picture files etc. then simply click on those files you wish to see in a browser from any where on the net - this is a very simplistic approach that would work for your given scenario.

Follow the simple instructions in cPanel to implement this feature.

This may well solve your access to a certain directory when away from your PC and prevent directory snooping at the same time - this method is also not restricted to just a single directory, it can be applied to any directory, or as many directories as you need to, on your web sites.

It would pay you great dividends to spare some time to familiorize yourself with all the menu item controls in cPanel as there are some very useful tools to effectively manage your hosting needs.

Securing your web site at the server level (hardening it is referred as) is very much in the hands of the server's administrator, as at your level of access implementing those most effective security measures is simply not possible - at X10 Hosting I believe they are very much on the security ball, as it is very much in their best interest to keep up with security patches and security issues.

With sql databases use good passwords for access and you should be fairly safe - and access is usually only allowed by localhost unless you specifically configure the database for remote access using % instead of localhost as the database host - more on Google for this database host subject.

I find that research via a quality search engine is often quicker than requesting info from a forum - this also has the benefit of finding the most accurate and verifiable information from multiple sources.

When and if you are in a position to have your very own server, either a dedicated server or a virtual server then the security administration would indeed be mostly up to you.

This is not an easy subject to talk about in an open forum but by using your friend Google you will be able to find most of the up to date security information when you need it - experiment with the keywords to drill down for the right information.

BTW, thanks for the rep. It has been entered OK, so you may have tried twice to give the rep - the rep system has no morals, spread the love indeed ;)

Regards,
Izzy

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
be carefull with drupal. If you plan to use it, make sure you commit to it completely. that is if you are doing the fantastico install. cause the install requires the

"Shell:exec();"

function, which is only supported by X10 PHP Advanced.

ThePBgod

Reaction score
I've already installed both Joomla and drupal for testing, without any issues. Drupal was installed in less than 3 minutes, literally. Probably could have done it faster if I didn't waste time thinking of names for stuff.

I used e107 years ago. and just loved the cpanel setup. Joomla's seems to me like theres added stuff that just makes it more hassle for the admin to do. And Drupals, is just one i'm not familiar with, with its layout.

I think I might look into coding a CMS. Its probably way out of my league...but Id just really need he most basic stuff. An area for admin to log in to add articles, change links, that type of stuff. with out having to hand code it.

That's probably the coolest thing about this all though. You could have a really great site for free. Free domain, free CMS, free hosting. Free to play with whatever and learn. Cant get much better than that.

rockee

Reaction score
As with most of the scripts you will find in Fantastico they install usually without issues.

The problems usually rear their ugly heads when you start to use them for the purpose they were intended, as no doubt leafypig is obviously familiar with in the case of Drupal.

Also if you intend to install scripts you should consider upgrading your PHP version in your AMP (Account Management Panel).

And another thing, to really find what makes script installation tick, perhaps you should try and install then uninstall some of these full feature web app scripts manually - it will all help to understand more about your shared hosting capabilities for any future content considerations.

There is another very good CMS that I don't see mentioned very much (only 3 post from a forum search - and no review) in these forums, that you might like to take a look at, even install and post a review to the below mentioned forum:
http://www.xaraya.com/

BTW, before we get a nudge from a moderator about sliding off topic, subjects relating to CMS etc. should really be placed in the Scripts and 3rd Part Apps forum.

Kind regards,
Rocky

Last edited:

ThePBgod

Reaction score
Thanks for the CMS link. I will give it a try after I finish designing a website I'm working on. Then I'll test Xar and a few others to decide how to code the sites template.

I hadn't used Fantastico, as far s I know. Unless running the install scripts after uploading the files, is that. Joomla and Drupal were very simple to install. Unlike e107, from what I remember. That was an hour job as everything was pretty much manual. That could have changed though as its been years since I've used it.

There seem to be a lot of really insightful posts. I'm really surprised. When I came to x10 I assumed the forums would be a joke. But really...theres a lot of great information with good people around there to help you out.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
thats cause we are all geeks (well i am) that sit around whenever I sit down on my computer to help people out on X10.

PHP:
<?PHP
print("I pledge alegience...");
print("To X10 Hosting");
print("Who has allowed me the chance to improve...");
print("My webdesign skills.");
print("So to thee I am writing this PHP poem");
print("So that others..");
print("May do things");
print("That I could only hope to do");
echo ("<br /><br />") 
echo (" . ") ");
print("I LOVE x10!!!!!!!!!!");
echo ("/home/leafy/cgi-bin/images/temp/php_created/.htaccess/hahahaha/this/isn%99t/a/file/heheheheheh/images/I_Love_X10_Hosting.gif/I_Love_X10_Hosting.exe/");
?>

i have nothing to do.

jgrey1

Reaction score
Simple steps I used:

1. Go to my domain registrar and point all domains to x10's name servers

2. Create domains in X10's control panel

3. Use FTP to create deault, index etc. in automatically created domains.

ThePBgod

Reaction score
Really, I was hoping there wouldn't be a need to use sub domains. But the Rockee's way does make sense.

All you so is create an addon domain, for a subdomain. Eliminating the need to use the subdomain URL. So it appears as its own domain entirely.